Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
If you are an MSDN subscriber John Galloway has the same instructions. You need to go to the MSDN top downloads

EDIT: Only like 700KB/s stupid slow work internet (of course it's the cap for my home cable but work > home, right?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

frunksock posted:

I searched the most recent 6 pages -- can someone confirm my reading of the OP that I'll need Ultimate if I want to boot from VHDs? Pro won't do this?

According to Wikipedia you'll need Enterprise or Ultimate. I would test this at home but I have Ultimate RTM.

Vinlaen posted:

What's the purpose of doing this?

(not being sarcastic, I'm seriously wondering)

The main purpose is if you want to have a second machine to boot into without actually needing a second machine or paying the performance penalty of a VM. I'm a .NET developer and throwing IIS, SQL Server, VS2008, and all sorts of third party components on my "home" machine slows things down a bit. I can create a VHD and boot into my "development" environment and be ready to rock and roll. Also, if you boot into a VHD only the disk is virtualized not the whole computer stack like a traditional Virtual Machine so you take only a small performance hit.

Scott Hanselman talks about Multibooting vs VHD vs VM

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Xanin posted:

I've just fixed it, I had more of a dig around the website and found a workaround for Vista that also worked in Win7. Now I don't need to boot XP anymore! Thanks though.

I know you fixed, but in case someone else reads the microphone was muted the first time i plugged it in. Just unmute the mic and things should work. This is what worked for me.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

JoeCitizen posted:

I'm having a problem in Win 7 Pro x64 with my Logitech mouse forgetting all of it's custom settings coming out of sleep mode. I think the Logitech Setpoint software is running in 32bit. Any suggestions on correcting this?

Reboot that's what I end up doing. Mine will revert my middle mouse button to search instead of mouse3 click. So Firefox won't lose or open a new tab but click on the search area. I usually get tired of it and reboot.

I will try new Setpoint drivers tonight.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

QWin15 posted:

edit:
just tried installing version 3.0 and it told me that I already have a newer version installed. Now i'm confused and sad :(

.NET 3.0/3.5 is the same kernel as .NET 2.0. Maybe try grabbing .NET 3.5 SP1 and see if that helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=AB99342F-5D1A-413D-8319-81DA479AB0D7&displaylang=en

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Drox posted:

Oh drat it. Is office mobile only on windows phones? I would love to have some office documents on my phone, but I have an iPhone.

Yes but there is Documents to Go for the iPhone/iTouch.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

LooseChanj posted:

What am I missing out on, it's not doing anything for me.

Click on the June, 2010 next to the left and right arrows for switching months.

If you still don't want to, it starts giving you bigger time frames to browse (all 12 months, then years, and finally decades)

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
I'm trying to help out a friend build a new PC and noticed the student discount for Windows 7 Premium Upgrade. I don't think he has a non-OEM Windows disc because his license is from his almost broken laptop that is being replaced. Will the Windows 7 Upgrade disc work or does he need to purchase the full version?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Splinter posted:

What's a good app for streaming music from my home computer to my work computer with minimal setup required on either end? Playing music over remote desktop sounds like rear end. I'm guessing I want something that can transcode on the fly in case the connection on either end can't handle the bitrate of the source files. FLAC support is a plus.

Does it have to stream from home? I would look into Google Music or Amazon MP3 Cloud Storage(whatever it's called). Also, I would make sure work is cool with you streaming MP3s? Another option is a MP3 player (Sansa clip is awesome) or smartphone

Also, streaming FLAC is going to be hard unless you have a big pipe in your house.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
Use Tel: hyperlinks? If you are trying to scrape web pages than maybe some regex?

I probably don't understand what you want to do.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

The Dregs posted:

Anyone know of a similar list of nice software and aps for windows 7?

This is has a developer bent on Windows apps but Scott Hanselman has a pretty good list that is updated yearly.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

bewbies posted:

Question about Remote Desktop:

I'm trying to RD connect to my home desktop through a router. I have the port forwarding set up and I think it is working properly, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to actually log into my computer. I've tried using my Windows login, my computer's IP, my username/ip, and a bunch of other things. Any suggestions? Google is not much help with this.

Have you tried Microsoft Live Mesh? The primary purpose is for folder syncing (Dropbox) but it has the ability to let you RDP into other boxes. Also, there is TeamViewer

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Fearian posted:

Hi guys. I have a tiny rear end monitor and I do big rear end graphics work. My brother has a big rear end monitor he doesn't always use and I borrow it occasionly.

My problem is after I give it back, I always, always find tricky little dialouge boxxes that are lost off screen and I can't rescue them. Most of the worst offenders wont be reset by the program or scripts, and aren't really recognized as windows.

Doesn anyone know of any good desktop manager software that will gather up lost windows or dialogue boxes?

Front and Center! Just remembered this being discussed in a podcast the last couple of weeks

EDIT: VVVVVV Yeah that's another way. If you have Windows 7 you could probably alt+tab (or win+tab)to the window and use win+arrow keys to Aero snap it back onto your monitor. There's also getting to the move window and arrow keys mentioned in the blog post but that way is really annoying.

gariig fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 24, 2012

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

I used to know a command that would help you troubleshoot why a computer or display wasn't going to sleep automatically even though it was set to in power settings, but I can't remember what it was now.

Anyone have an idea?

I haven't tried it but I saw Sleeper posted. However, the command is
code:
powercfg -energy
which I grabbed from this guide

Intrepid00 posted:

Anyone got a suggested macro program that will work on windows 7?
Is AutoHotKey what you are looking for?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

stubblyhead posted:

Is Windows 98 available through TechNet? I see Windows 3.11, but after that it looks like it skips straight to XP. Need to be reasonably sure before telling my mother-in-law to buzz off about it.

I don't see it in my MSDN subscription. Why would someone want to run Win98?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Kneel Before Zog posted:

My pc is Xp home edition and doesn't have this. Any fax programs you could recommend? Classic Phone tools doesn't offer phone support and Electra Softs 32 bit fax is 30 dollars too pricey.

Why not just use a third party Fax Service? Although more than $30 why not just get a fax machine?

I guess I'm trying to figure out what problem are you trying to solve?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

I recently lost all the notes I scribble in Notepad because Windows 7 auto-installed updates and rebooted without permission. The rebooting without permission part really pisses me off. Anyway, I'm wondering if there's a Notepad that simply autosaves? I played with Notepad+++ a few years ago but am wondering if there's anything better now.

Sublime Text 2 doesn't auto save but if you close and reopen the program everything comes back as it was. I would also suggest Evernote as that does autosave. You could also use Google Docs

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Ihmemies posted:

I know that 99,9& of those links are probably useless junk but since there are some I don't want to get rid of I haven't just deleted them all. By organizing I meant mostly deleting but I have zero motivation dealing with the issue with Firefox's Bookmark Manager.

I also understand that bookmarks alone are a bad way to store information & stuff I'd want to watch/read later (like photos from flickr or some articles etc.) and that's why I need to move on to something else. Preferrably something which supports syncing to other computers/devices too.

Along with the Evernote suggestion I use something like Pocket, Readability, or Instapaper to store articles I want to read later. I get my data in there either with IFTTT to put Starred Google Reader items into Pocket. If it's something I want to keep for a true archive I put it into Evernote.

All of these services will sync with Android and iOS. I pretty much don't use bookmarks anymore. Instapaper will cost you between $3-5 to get started

gariig fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 25, 2012

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Well, Windows Live Mesh (p2p folder synchronization, without the size limitations / cost of cloud storage) is going to be eliminated in February.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a replacement? I depend on it to keep my documents folders and photo albums sync'ed across a few computers.

Edit: forgot to mention that one of the computers I sync with is a Mac - which Windows Live Mesh works surprisingly well on. So a replacement with Mac compatibility would be ideal / required.

Other options would be Dropbox or Google Drive

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Sleepstupid posted:

That's the problem really, some jobs are 100 pages some are 300+

Did you turn off Collate? That should give you what you want. I'm assuming you want Page 1 X 5, Page 2 X 5, Page 3 X 5, etc? If you want Page 1,2,3 X 5 then keep Collate

EDIT: Make sure you change the Number of Copies option to 5

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Sleepstupid posted:

Tried it both ways actually, it did the same thing if the box was checked or not. :confused:

And yes I need Page 1 X 5, Page 2 X 5, Page 3 X 5, etc.

Make sure your printer driver isn't overriding the collate option. I just printed a PDF from Sumatra PDF and it worked fine. I printed pages 2 and 3 of an 11 page document twice and it came out Page 2 X 2 Page 3 X 2. Should be under preferences on the print screen.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Gozinbulx posted:

Problem is, I need this for contracts and stuff where things are often times handwritten.

Also its all in Spanish, which always seems to trip up OCR, especially special characters.

Try Evernote? I don't know if it supports special characters. I tried piņata (from the image at the bottom) and I could search for pinata and piņata

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
OK I see what you want. You want the XP (and prior) Quick Launch Bar back where the show desktop icon was and it'd have small launch icons. I found a How-to Geek tutorial. There's also Bins at $5 that would be a variant of what you want.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

spog posted:

Small question:

Outlook 2010 has POP email set up for one address and also IMAP for Gmail.

I'd like to move all the inbox/sent items from Gmail into a local folder. I could set up POP for Gmail, but that will only retrieve the inbox - how do I retrieve the outbox too?

Is it something simple such s dragging from the IMAP outbox to the POP outbox for the gmail folders (or does that still refer to remote location - I can't tell with an individual message where it is located.

If this is for backup purposes GM Vault might be a better solution

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

titaniumone posted:

Does anyone know of a good window docking program? I think I'd like to have something with similar functionality to Visual Studio's pane positioning and docking, but for all running applications.

What about WinSplit Revolution?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Mr. Crow posted:

Not sure where to ask this, but we are probably going to be setting up an internal IRC server (at a software shop) for primarily chatting purposes, but then also to pipe build notifications and whatever else, to eliminate some of the email spam.

Question is, which server software to use / is still relevant and updated? I imagine they are all mostly the same, is UnrealIRCd the recommended route? Is there a *nix alternative that is leaps and bounds better for some reason?

For the first part I'd check out HUBOT from GitHub. That's how they push all of their build notifications

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

hooah posted:

For a programming class, my teammate and I are using Dropbox to store our code (and all the associated Visual Studio baggage). For some reason, one of the files is missing a line when he views it, but it's fine for me (either in VS or a text editor). What could be causing this, and how can we fix it?

Don't use Dropbox for code sharing. You should use source control like git, Mercurial or Team Foundation Server. You can host git and Mercurial at Bitbucket or TFS and git at Visual Studio online. You are going to run into headaches if the two of you are modifying code at the same time using Dropbox.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I was just shocked at how everything seems to be browser/cloud-based or iphone-based. I found almost nothing in the offline department - one blog had a review list of online tools (browser/app-based) and their 'offline' section was literally recommending brands of notepads. Do people not download programs anymore? What happens when a website that has all your bloody records on it for the past 5 years goes under, or some $5/h klutz in the server room removes the wrong rack?

I use Todoist and the Chrome app has offline support in the free version. If you are really worried about losing all of your Todos from the last few years you can look into todo.txt which is just a text file on Dropbox, but in a special format so other programs can read it. If you are using Outlook why not use the Task manager built-in? I don't think offline support is really a big deal if I lose Internet access I'm not getting any work done

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
I just use MPC. I haven't touched CCCP in years

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Can someone please recommend me a Dropbox-style file sharing/online backup product for my business?

I need to be able to set individual permissions for folders, so none of my employees can see my sensitive files, but so they can still upload stuff to specified folders related to specific projects.

Also OneDrive for Business if you have Office 365 or Google Drive if you use Google Apps.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Tenzarin posted:

Would it be safe to upgrade to play steam games or is it best to just wait? (windows 10)

Sure, why not? If you don't like it you can repave the machine and put your old Windows back on. Personally, I'm going to run it in a VM

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
Is there a way on Windows to play Youtube as a picture-in-picture window similar to Safari on Mac?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I know the easy solution would be "buy a ps4", but I already have a pretty powerful gaming computer and it seems wasteful that we can't both use it at the same time.
No buy a Switch, an iPad, or Chromebook

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm backing up Cyberpunk save files, there's no way Linux will work.

That being said, I also have a Synology NAS is there was a way to map a network drive for backup like this, but I'm not sure what I'd be looking to do.

Looks like Synology Drive (AKA Dropbox) can do this

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

The Joe Man posted:

Thanks, huh yeah it's doing the same thing (giving me a full line of characters when I only want six).

It's in order to get through Datto's 2FA if that helps. I'm unfamiliar with mobile tech and I obviously can't scan this stupid poo poo with a flip phone.

I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to accomplish here. Are you trying to setup an OTP two-factor account with a QR code? If you are you need a OTP app to read the QR code. The QR code is a nice way of sending a human a very large binary encoded secret that's used by the OTP algorithm to calculate the 6 digits used when challenged. I'm not sure where "flip phone" came from.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

The Joe Man posted:

I'm trying to log into Datto. It's requiring me to enable 2FA before I can log in and the only option is through scanning a QR code on the screen and then entering whatever 6-digit verification code appears afterwards. I do not have a smartphone to do this.

Like most people said you need an TOTP (Timebased One Time Password). I'd suggest Authy which has a Windows app. You can also look to see if Datto supports SMS TOTP, where you request a token and Datto will send you a code. Just note SMS is pretty broken and if someone really wants to hack you it's super easy to spoof your phone number and receive the SMS code

EDIT: Also, having it on the same device does defeat the purpose some. However, if someone has your laptop and password to your laptop things are probably worse

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Less Fat Luke posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a Putty SSH terminal replacement?

What's wrong with the one built into Windows?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
Is there a utility to see what files in a directory will have paths that are too long if copied to a different directory in Win10? I had to grab some archived files and some files when copied to the directory I want them will have paths that are too long. However, Windows Explorer only gave me the file name and the file is common over lots of directories so just looking for the file isn't viable. I ended up copying the files to "C:\a\" which was short enough but not a long term solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
Is there a good file de-duplication program for Windows? For images, videos, and audio files it would be a bonus to have some sort of "fuzzy" matching. I have a ton of old hard drives I need to go through and I'm sure there's a bunch of duplicate data on them. Can be free or pay.