Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I have a question about how dual booting will actually work.

I have Vista Ultimate installed on Drive A. It has MS Word installed.

I put Windows 7 on Drive B. It does not have MS Word installed.

Obviously I can navigate to Drive A if I boot into w7, but can I run word from there? or do I also have to install it on Drive B?

For some programs, this will Just Work. However, Word is probably not one of those programs; you'd probably be better off installing it into Win7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

big mean giraffe posted:

ClearType.

I took this word, screencapped it, and blew it up. Here's Win7's ClearType:

Edit: Hm, doesn't look all that different. I used to be "gently caress ClearType", but I tried on Win7 and got used to it after about a week, and now I probably would be uncomfortable without it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Why can't I set a process's priority to realtime in Windows 7? It just sets it to high instead.

Why the hell would you want to set a process's priority to realtime? I don't know why the option was ever even there.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

fishmech posted:

I've never had a problem using a German or Japanese or whatever languague program in English Windows XP.

There are some Japanese or otherwise East Asian programs that won't run properly with your system language set to English, but that's what Applocale is for.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

My Precious Violin Case posted:

Or is it the kind of thing that you put up with for months just so that it saves your rear end that one time?

I see it as this, but I could be wrong. I have UAC on minimal, so I get the prompts but it doesn't lock down the whole system while waiting for me to answer.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Shannow posted:

I am going to throw it on my main machine soon, the only thing i want to know is if it's possible to have the sidebar from vista back, as I'm used to having that permanently on top and would miss not having my wee clipboard history gadget always there.

I don't think so, but the sidebar has been replaced with the ability to put those same gadgets anywhere on the desktop.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Stutes posted:

News for any European purchasers of Windows 7: retail copies of the OS will not include ANY browser.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/06/windows-7-to-be-shipped-in-europe-sans-internet-explorer.ars

Won't that make it kind of hard to get a browser?

e:f,b.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Casao posted:

As people have pointed out, where is this arbitrary line drawn?

It's drawn at browsers, because it was the Opera people bitching that got it to happen, because they hoped it would force Microsoft to include Opera with Windows.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Linux Nazi posted:

Alt-tabbing back into games.

If your computer is good enough to run L4D at your native resolution, there's a small workaround to make alt-tabbing in and out of it painless. I use the following launch options on all Source games (including L4D, TF2, and GMod):

-w 1680 -h 1050 -windowed -noborder

This way, it looks and works like full screen, but it's actually in a window.

Edit: I don't know about WoW, but I don't think there's a way to window and noborder Fallout 3.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Unexpected EOF posted:

XP drivers wouldn't work in Win 7 anyway.

True. However, it might be a good idea to dig up Vista/7 drivers for your network connection (NIC or what have you) just in case 7 doesn't automatically have drivers for it. I've run into that issue on XP in the past, and it was a loving headache.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Xenomorph posted:

I'm trying to remember how many floppies my copy of Windows 95 was. 12-14.

My uncle had Windows 95 on his computer, and he got a Windows 98 upgrade CD... which didn't detect the previous installation, so it demanded to check every single Windows 95 floppy; I swear there was 25 of the loving things. It took like an hour and a half just to verify that he owned 95.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

kapinga posted:

That doesn't actually answer the topic at hand, which is why people pirate OSes.

Because to most people the computer is useless without one, and most people want the latest and greatest.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Welp, glad I didn't preorder the upgrade. I guess I'll go for an OEM/system builders version then.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Ryokurin posted:

Something tells me that the old trick that worked in Vista will work in 7 as well. That was install the OS once without entering the key and then reinstall entering your key and choosing custom install.

Except for the fact that it will require an activated install to be on the hard drive before it will install.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

1997 posted:

How do you know? Vista didn't do that.

Neptune Blue posted:

MaxPC posted some "great" news about installing Windows 7 upgrades. Every time you want to reinstall it you have to install and activate XP or Vista first, not just a disc/key check.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/windows_7_upgrade_edition_will_require_activated_copy_verification_each_time_it%E2%80%99s_installed
Emphasis mine.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Gvaz posted:

Is it possible I can make a single button click, make a window disappear? like on the task bar. say I middle click something, like windows media player or notepad, and have it close.

This exact method actually works with the Aero thumbnail previews; middle-clicking on one of them closes it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

kri kri posted:

I know I can use the Vista one, but I don't want to chance it.

Chance what? The Vista version works perfectly fine.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

-Dethstryk- posted:

The family pack is finally confirmed by Microsoft.

Oh gently caress yeah. Three copies will take care of my household perfectly.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

LonelyKing posted:

Hmm, in the document linked in that article, it also states that you'll only be able to use the Professional upgrade if you currently run Vista Business. So that essentially means I need to cancel my preorder and miss out on the 50% deals because Home Premium can't upgrade to Pro, and I need Pro to run the old Cisco VPN client. Fortunately this is the first they've ever mentioned it and all the upgrade pages on Amazon/elsewhere just champion the benefits of getting something other than Home Premium. :smith:

I thought they let you upgrade from a lesser version to a better version, but not the other way around. (e.g. You should be able to upgrade from Vista Home to 7 Pro, but you can't "upgrade" from Vista Business to 7 Home.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Xachariah posted:

Gah, try as hard as I may, I cannot get HDMI audio to work with Windows 7.

Maybe your laptop's HDMI port is video only.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

kapinga posted:

You do realize that you can right click an icon and open a new instance (the third item from the bottom), right? It pretty much removes the need for a quick launch bar, although I guess it is one extra click.

You can also pin sub-shortcuts to pinned taskbar items. For instance, I have a few links to specific folders that I use a lot pinned to the Windows Explorer shortcut that's pinned to the taskbar.

You can click and drag up to open the menu instead of right-clicking. It's a feature that was added for tablet PCs, but it works with a mouse as well.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

brc64 posted:

Easier than that, you can just middle-click an icon to open a new instance.

:monocle:

I'm so used to Windows not having any particular support for the middle button I never thought to try that. That's two middle-click shortcuts I know in Win7 now, the first being middle-clicking on an Aero Peek preview to close the window.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

chizad posted:

As far as screensavers go, electricsheep > *

I would love to get in on this screen saver, but their loving server went down a couple weeks ago and hasn't come back up yet, so anyone who doesn't already have it can't run it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What exactly does this mean? I have to wipe the drive, install the full version of home premium 7, and then put in the upgrade key? Or does it mean that I can put the w7 cd into vista, and it will install, but it will do a full wipe and install instead of just an upgrade install?

The latter.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

OhPlz posted:

Says on the home page that they restored their server.
sheepserver.net still seems to be dead, which is where the Help button tries to send me.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Charles Martel posted:

Just found an XP/Vista compatible freeware set of After Dark modules here, but I can't run the Setup because it requires a 32-bit machine and I have 64-bit. =/

I found a version that would install on 64-bit Windows 7, but I can't configure it because it puts the config page in the old Display control panel module. The "City Lights" (or whatever it's called) works, though.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I can't confirm it for XP, but my brother just got a laptop with Vista on it and he had to add a password to his login on his PC with Win7 in order to access its shares with Vista. (Also, they had to be in the same workgroup, but that's normal for pre-7.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Honey Im Homme posted:

http://www.citadelindustries.net/readydriverplus/

This does it automatically

Hm. For some reason, I don't have that extra partition. I originally installed 7050 (or thereabouts) and I upgraded to 7068 then again to the RC. I suppose it was newly added in the RC? It evidently isn't an absolute requirement.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

^^
Edit: In System Properties (right-click My Computer, Properties) there is a link to "Change Product Key".

Casao posted:

It's been since 7000, it's installed if you just select the drive, if you manually create partitions it's not installed.

Ah. I habitually create the partitions manually, I suppose it would be a good idea to back up everything and do a clean install (letting Windows do the partitions automatically) when I get the RTM, then.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Phayray posted:

I might be missing some sarcasm here but you could always run such an app in XP Mode.

:ssh: XP Mode isn't in the Home version.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I know it's not recommended, but is it possible to upgrade 7100 to the RTM without having to do a "custom install" by editing the cversion.ini like you could with <7077 - 7100?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

kapinga posted:

If it's possible at all, you need the Ultimate version of the same architecture. If you have that, then give it a shot, the worst that happens is that it won't let you.

The RC is Ultimate, and the version they're giving out at the Microsoft "launch party" things is (reportedly) also Ultimate, so I'll give it a shot.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Casao posted:

Retail's not out yet

I can confirm it works for the Ultimate they gave out at the "The New Efficiency" seminars, because they only had 32-bit discs and the key I got worked with 7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULXFRER_EN_DVD.iso.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

It depends on the game, and a lot of the games that you can do it in need a third-party app to do it. More recent Source-engine games (HL2 Episode 2, Portal, TF2, and L4D) can do it native by adding the -noborder command line parameter along with the -windowed one. Fallout 3 can do it with a small program you launch before the game.

Basically you'll have to find out how to do it for each game separately.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

duckstab posted:

Is there any way to rename pinned items on the start menu, other than making a shortcut to the desired program, naming it appropriately and pinning that?

Right-click the pinned item, Properties, go to the General tab and rename it there.

Edit: Pinned start menu items are much like the old Quick Launch bar - they're just shortcuts in a particular place (in this case, C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

h0lmes posted:

Is it possible to do an upgrade from Windows 7 RC to Professional?

No, the RC is Ultimate. You'll have to do a custom install.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

Will I be able to do an upgrade install (as opposed to clean install) from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Pro (Same bit versions)?

Expiration Date posted:

in a similar vein, I've got Vista Ultimate installed and I ordered the digitalriver home premium upgrade...

can I go from ultimate -> home premium without a full reinstall?

From what I understand, you can upgrade up (Vista Home Premium -> 7 Pro) but not down (Vista Ultimate -> 7 Home Premium).

Also, someone a few posts up confirmed that upgrade keys work with the full RTM install.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

c0burn posted:

thats the RC

I'm pretty sure fishmech posted links to both versions of the RTM on his hosting.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Dominoes posted:

I got the impression from the thread that you could install the 64-bit version from an activated 32-bit Vista if you do a clean install.

You have to boot from the install disc to upgrade from 32 to 64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

xydrine posted:

I'm surprised people actually prefer using UAC.

Please, no. Please don't start the UAC vs. no UAC argument again.