Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Roman posted:

Really liking how the taskbar being on the side of the screen no longer feels half-assed. New taskbar rules.

My only gripe is the positioning of the start menu. When you do it from the bottom-left, it feels natural where it sits, and doesn't overlap anything. When you do it from the side it does (from what I can remember). If that fixed itself, it'd all be sweet and I'd likely swap to a side taskbar once I get a bigger monitor than a 17" LCD :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Logostomp posted:

How well does Steam work on the Release Candidate? I remember everytime in Vista I exited out of a game, it said HL2.exe crashed.

If you can wait a number of hours, I'll test it tonight when I get home and report back, as I have TF2/HL2/CS:S/etc installed and was getting the same bug in Vista.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

It seems the first promotion to get Windows 7 Ultimate Edition is through Microsoft's Windows Feedback Program.

US loving only. Godfuckingdamnit, why do they do this? It's not as if the RC is officially limited to those locations only.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

big mean giraffe posted:

What reason do you have for lowering the hardware acceleration?

Diagnosis is the big one. I was trying to pin down why an old game wasn't working under 7 and I wanted to try lowering the hardware acceleration levels, but could not. Eventually I solved the problem of running the game via an unrelated change, but it stands to reason that it'd be nice to have the full use of previous debugging methods within a new OS when, as far as I am aware, there's no reason to break its use anyway.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Turd Nelson posted:

Does anyone have an X-Fi card from Creative? I am having the hardest time getting the sound to work.

My audigy DE was cracking under the default drivers.

gently caress them off, and get Daniel_K's modified drivers. They're far better and work on Windows 7. They will work without fail.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

oxy posted:

Also, what antivirus/firewall do people recommend with this operating system that works?

Antivirus: NOD32, AVG, Avira, Avast!
Firewall: Windows inbuilt one

That's how I roll.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Cerri posted:

Anyone else run into this?

Tried running IE in compatibility mode of XP or Vista before installing the plugin (assuming it's a plugin)?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Lakitu7 posted:

I want to know this too, so we can point and laugh at the poorly coded installer.

The only thing I can think of is that, somehow, the developer assumed you had to manually specify the (x86) part of the install directory and has hard-coded it to install to C:\program files (x86)\, so that when it installs, it goes "oh, install there! Wait, we have to append (x86) to it cause it's a 32bit program!" and ends up with (x86) twice.

I can't think of any other way that could reasonably happen.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

big mean giraffe posted:

Chances are if you dislike ClearType you haven't set it up right. It makes things look so much nicer and not fuzzy at all unless your monitor's broken or lovely.

That's what I thought, but using the cleartype thing time and time again, I can't get it to look 'good'.

That said, I'm on 17 inch LCD from 5+ years ago, so it may well not have a dense enough dot pitch to render cleartype well.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

Cheap TN panels are your problem. ;) So you're telling me that every single tuning option looks fuzzy/blurry to you?

Does to me, but I am still using this and have figured for some time that Cleartype would look a lot better on something more advanced.

Data posted:

Well that's just grand isn't it. I wonder when XP will finally become unusable, probably another 4-5 years if Vista was anything to go by.

Where is it not disabled when you disable it in Vista/7? I've not noticed cleartype anywhere after disabling it.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Data posted:

I could probably hold out till XP is completely obsolete - presumably dot pitch will decrease a lot in that time making ClearType far more tolerable.
I've got it turned off in 7 because, like you, I prefer the white-black-white, aliased appearance rather than the smooth but blurry (to me) appearance of it. I've found no location where it is bothersome, either.

I think you'll find that if it's on anywhere in 7 once turning it off, it's only on for the fonts that are several pixels wide to begin with so aliasing them with one subcolour pixel is really not that bad because it's not 1 colour - 1 black - 1 colour, rather that the black is many pixels thick and so takes off how obvious the effect is.

Then again, I turned it off in Vista and couldn't find any signs of it remaining on, so I have no idea where you found it to be on still.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

queztal posted:

I had this same problem. Try waiting about ten minutes; it took about five minutes for it to come up for me, and I have no idea why. After waiting that long, everything went fine.

Ditto for build 7000. I have no idea why it took so long, too. I cancelled it twice before deciding 'fuckit, I'm patient, I'll wait' and lo and behold, something happened.

I thought it was harking back to my himem.sys error days where it'd hang for hours. Thankfully not.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Sounder posted:

anyone gotten FLAC playback working in WMP12? My usual codec pack (cccp) ain't working its usual magic.

I was under the impression that WMP had been locked to certain codecs for the beta/RC only. Said lock was being removed once it went retail. I could be thinking of the wrong thing, though.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Codiusprime posted:

So, I think I am missing something. I had to had noticed that Firefox was moving sluggish so I took your advice and downloaded the beta, much snappier and all was well. Then I downloaded Winfox but I don't notice anything different about Firefox. The only difference I see is an extra window opened up that has the Windows 7 thinking circle thing. Having Firefox run like it used to though is pretty sweet.
It's supposed to allow for the IE-style hover-over-taskbar-icon-and-get-a-window-for-each-tab interface. That said, I never could get it to work - it'd just crash for me each time I ran it, even on 3.5 beta, so I dunno what's going on there.

That said, if the speed increased as promised is true, I'm going to install it when I get home because FF3 is sluggish for me too and semi-frequently decides to sit there and do sweet F all for multiple seconds at a time. I'll test this out when I get home and report back.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Codiusprime posted:

I still have not gotten Winfox to do anything but open a second window. I was ready to switch to IE 8, my second choice is Chrome but whenever I try to use that it just sits there and doesn't do a drat thing. I think I am going to go ahead and uninstall Winfox cause tarded.

Trip report:

I kind of got it working. By kind of, I mean the right-click stuff was there, but as far as tab-viewing goes, I only got that working once and I couldn't even work out what I did to cause it to work that one time but not others. This was on 3.5 beta and 7100 x64.

I can only assume that winfox x64 is for 64bit windows rather than 64bit firefox. If it's the other way around, that may explain things, but the guy who wrote it could stand to document his poo poo better.

PS: Chrome won't be any better. The normal releases of it are broken on windows 7, just fyi. You'd have to get a build of a newer revision of the code.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

nimper posted:

Nope, it isn't, but it should be.

How would it work? Would there be a whole shitload of wasted space at the bottom, or would the program somehow overlap the start button but still not get in the way?

It seems a bit silly to me, is all.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

beejay posted:

Haha what. I think he's talking about taskbar on the right, start button at the bottom right instead of top right. You are thinking taskbar on the right, start button in lower left?

Hahahahaha oh jesus I'm stupid. That's exactly what I was thinking.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Warthog posted:

PowerISO should be in the main post - there's such a lot of crappy software around to mount images, it's scary!

Virtual CloneDrive was in the OP of the old thread, but yeh, it seems PowerISO works with 7 too when I believe it didn't for a while, so that's another viable option.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Cage posted:

I didnt try it at all. :smug:

edit: Ah yes, as simple as dragging. Thanks!

If you really must have a quicklaunch bar, there are ways of enabling it, but it's a bit of work. I really do urge you to try to get a feel for icons expanding in their places - it makes so much more sense anyway.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

routenull0 posted:

When you come across driver issues, like for motherboards, do you just get Vista drivers instead?

I even used some XP64 drivers in a pinch a few nights ago.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

deltawing posted:

I...didn't know I wasn't. I haven't turned Aero off, at least to my knowledge.

I reformatted Vista today, and installed W7 with Aero activated. I dunno if Aero is the same in W7, but I haven't changed poo poo.

I always preferred Windows Classic view in Vista, but to my knowledge I'm using Aero in W7 :/

You're not. Aero would make that window transparent. Right click on desktop and in the options in there, you'll find an option to enable aero somewhere. Buggered if I can remember it off the top of my head, though.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

fishmech posted:

Uh no, there's Aero which may or may not be on since you can't tell from the window look and Aero Glass which will only be on if the window is transparent.

You're right, I was mistaken. Whenever I think of Aero, I think of Aero Glass and everything associated with it :shobon:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

kapinga posted:

I have definitely set up shares with no password (but not guest) on XP SP2 machines.

control panel -> choose homegroup and sharing options -> change advanced sharing settings -> scroll down to password protected sharing and turn it off.

In XP, it seemed to be completely random as to whether it wanted to password-protect or not. I was never able to understand it (probably because I never put effort in to trying to).

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Tagra posted:

Does Win7 use a different "Windows Experience" rating system than Vista?

We built two computers with identical parts. One has Vista x64 and the other has Win7 x64 7100 RC.

Vista rates everything at ~5.8. Win7 rates everything at ~7.9 except for the hard drive, which it rates at 5.8.

Zuh? Not that the "Windows Experience" is anything to swear by, but I'm curious about the difference. Does Win7 rate things differently or is it an indicator of things running better under 7? Or is the one computer screwed up and we need to fix its performance :ohdear:

Yes they differ and Vista's is capped at a different level (5.9) to 7's (7.9)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Alex007 posted:

Not really:

Is there a clause anywhere that mentions a limit to how many licences you're allowed per person?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Small posted:

Anyone interested, or does this just only bug me? If anyone wants it I will try to polish it up... if not, I'll just use it myself.

Oh christ yes. I turned off merging for that reason. Also, MSN's guilty of the same thing. :(

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Small posted:

Alright, I took out all the debug stuff and built in release mode: download here. Just put both DLLs in your Pidgin/plugins folder, enable it, and you should be good to go.

Default install: MSVCR100.dll is missing from Windows 7.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 22, 2009

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I can't find any information on it, but will the preorder special be available for Australia? I'd like to snag a cheaper copy if possible, for sure, but it doesn't have any Australia store there :(

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Full Circle posted:

A tip for those buying off of the microsoft site: When it asks for your zip code put in the zip code of a state with no sales tax like Delaware.

In theory, I should be able to do that despite being in Australia, yeh? Or does anyone know if this deal will be coming to Australia anyway?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Full Circle posted:

I was referring to the downloaded version as well so unless they are filtering IPs which I very much doubt you should be golden.

Yeh that's what I'm considering. It'd be a bit of a bitch if I were to miss out simply because of my geographical location. With the internet nowadays that should really be a thing of the past for anything that is digitally distributed (ie: the download link).

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Gvaz posted:

Has anyone figured out how to display windows side by side? Shift click and right clicking on the taskbar buttons then clicking "display windows side by side" isn't there like in vista :[

In fact, shift clicking brings up another instance of the item you clicked.

Click and drag the window to the left or right side of the screen. You don't even need to touch your keyboard, if you don't want to use win+arrows.

Dragging it to the top will maximise it again.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

CitrusFrog posted:

Based on multiple games suddenly working as intended, and video no longer stuttering?

That's not going to happen simply from freeing up resources used by those services you listed (and others). They do not use enough to make that difference.

You had something more profound wrong that just so happened to remedy itself possibly through disabling services, though likely when just messing around somehow. I'd be looking at the more pronounced issue than simply thinking you 'fixed' it by disabling services.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Black Pants posted:

:(

Full, inflated price for Non-US citizens is the only way to go.

Edit: Curse your avatar, Unexpected EOF. If only that file loaded just that little bit longer! :argh:

I'm tempted to order it to a friend's address as the download and just download it here in Australia. I really don't want to miss out on a 50% discount simply because a digital download is artificially region-based.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

If there weren't a few versions of Windows 7 available we'd probably be talking about how microsoft are a bunch of capitalist pigs by only offering 2 versions instead of 8 so people could have choice and all that.

Home premium suits me loving fine. I just want an affordable windows :(

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

There were some pretty sweat deals on Win 7 as outlined by this thread. Guess it does suck if you missed out on them. You could also get a TechNet sub and have all the OSes you'd ever want/need.

Or you could realise the entire world doesn't live in America and therefore some of us cannot get the deal, as I stated in several of my posts in this thread already. Guess it does suck if you missed out on those posts, though.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

Not really anybody's fault but the crybaby EU. I'm sure it's just punishment on MS' part :p Actually, I don't think those deals were open for Canadians either. No worries, you can still get a TechNet subscription ;)

I DO NOT LIVE IN THE EU EITHER.

(If you make your next guess something like Kiribati or Zambia I'm going to cry)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

Australia? Where you get hosed by MS and your ISPs?
With a twist of fist, man :(

I really did want to get in on the pre-order action but I was wary of the "what if" of them checking my card against where I said I lived (A made-up US address).

I bet it'll be like AUD$400 or something too for the professional. :suicide:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

NoArmedMan posted:

I spoke to a senior MS manager and he informed me that theres no plans for a similar promotion in Australia. On the plus side, he just told he'd hook a brotha up.

I wish I had buddies who could hook me up. Unfortunately, I'm a plebe so I have to fork out the arm, leg and 4/5th of a soul to buy it :(

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

EricBauman posted:

I've got a weird problem in Windows 7 and I hope someone else has had the same thing happen and found a solution:
My symbols keep getting messed up. The ones above the numbers and the other sings like [ and ?. I can hit CTRL+SHIFT and it goes back to normal, but it's really annoying, especially when typing in passwords where you can't really see what's going wrong. There's nothing I specifically have to do to get this, it just reverts every once in a while. It also doesn't matter whether I change the keyboard or OS language to Dutch of back again to English.

Have you looked in accessability options for stickeykeys, etc.? You may be triggering these accidently with the keyboard shortcuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

ilkhan posted:

My quad with 8GB and no swap is perfectly stable. Silly people.

And last I heard MS counts physical cores, not logical cores, for the licensing restrictions. That may have changed of course, but thats how it was for XP if not Vista.

My i7 with 6GB and a swapfile is even more stable and prone to stay that way rather than tumble over for seemingly no reason, like yours can.

The reason MS limits RAM is in order to sell sever OS's. If anyone could buy home premium and slap 64GB of RAM in a box to make some sort of powerful server, there'd be decreased incentive to buy the server-style OS's that MS releases.

Whether or not 16GB is a reasonable limitation or not is another matter (I disagree, 32GB would be acceptable in my mind - already 12GB of RAM is not that unreasonable to get if you're cutting-edge - triple channel i7 with 3x4GB sticks would do it, for example).