Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Man, I *just* installed 7077! :sigh:

I guess I'll download/give it a whirl.

EDIT: Okay, should I even bother? 7077 is pretty good so far.

Casull fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

fishmech posted:

7077 expires in August, 7100 expires next June.

Welp, I'm sold.

I'm curious about the MUI thing, though: If I got non-ultimate, would that mean that I wouldn't be able to type in Asian languages?

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

Fagatron posted:

I upgraded from Vista ultimate 64 to RC 7100 and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised at how nice the whole package feels as a whole.

I am however having an absolute bitch of a time with the LAN adapter. It keeps dropping the network and no amount of troubleshooting or new drivers have been able to fix it as of yet :-( .

I haven't heard anyone else with the problem I'm having but just a word of warning.

Apart from that I think it will do well in erasing our memories of the 'Vista Years/Tears'

Actually, I'm getting something similar: my wifi card, a Linksys WMP54 card, has been dropping packets despite showing a "connected to network" thing. Still, that may be just my crappy card, but it sucks because my old card, an internal Intel 2200 card, was doing somewhat well.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

Ah, I figured out why my networking card was so bad. It turns out that Windows 7 and Linksys WMP54G don't mix well. The solution is to download the Ralink RT266x driver and use that driver instead. So far, it's actually stable.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

JoeCitizen posted:

That driver is buggy as hell too. I have the v4.1 card and the Ralink driver would hard-lock the whole OS randomly with no error messages in the event viewer or crash dumps. *Every* time I ran the Speakeasy Speed Test it would lock the whole OS when it got to the upload part of the test. Through trial and error, I discovered the Linksys netr6164.sys v2.00.03.0 driver was the only one with a modicum of stability. If I install the driver Windows Update is pushing or the newest version from Ralink the hard-locks return. Obviously YMMV.

I just ran the speed test with no problems. Then again, I think my card is 2.2/2.3.

YMMV, indeed.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

You guys know that they'll probably just be a disabled feature by default, not actually purged from the system, right? As in, what you can turn on and off in the more recent builds.

I dunno, the article makes it seem as if IE8 just won't be there, period. Why else would Microsoft offer it via FTP, retail channels, and CDs?

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

m2pt5 posted:

If your computer is good enough to run L4D at your native resolution, there's a small workaround to make alt-tabbing in and out of it painless. I use the following launch options on all Source games (including L4D, TF2, and GMod):

-w 1680 -h 1050 -windowed -noborder

This way, it looks and works like full screen, but it's actually in a window.

Oh hello. Time to try this, thanks.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

Unexpected EOF posted:

Your luck in XP was probably not mirrored by a lot of people.

Oh, no, I had problems alt-tabbing outta fullscreen applications on XP, too (especially since the machine, in question, is a four-year-old laptop.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

Gvaz posted:

Suddenly now when I play a game windows 7 hardlocks on me, to the point where I can't move the mouse, no sound, no anything. So I reset and tried again, still did it after a while of playing. When I went to turn on the computer the 2nd time, it got to the login screen, I got a black screen with a mouse.

What do you think could be causing my computer to hardlock? I was running an old age of empires clone, so it's not over heating my CPU I think, plus it would restart if that's the case.

Out of curiosity, what game? It's been doing this randomly for Left 4 Dead for me. I set mat_queue_mode 0 on my console, and that seemed to have worked.