Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Hell, I only have three gigs of RAM on my laptop and I rarely break 50% on 32-bit. Come on 7, fill that poo poo. I shouldn't even have to WAIT to open stuff with that much free RAM, get to work SuperFetch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

-Dethstryk- posted:

Check the resource monitor. It might actually be using more than that. My physical memory is at 20% use right now, but the resource monitor shows that it's using about 70% of my RAM to cache things it knows I might load.

I love this new memory management in Vista/7.

I had no idea this program existed, I'm sitting at about 70%. Awesome, thanks for pointing this out.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

KublaKhan posted:

Can I turn off UAC for an individual program? I get the prompt every time I try to open a .pdf (Foxit reader).

I was getting this too. Apparently it's an issue, I checked their forums a few weeks back. It's probably something loving stupid like wanting to mess around in its install folder for ad downloads or something. This also breaks the Firefox plugin. I tried giving myself write permissions, etc to the folder and it didn't fix it. You know what I did? Installed Adobe Reader Lite, which I can't link to because it's a hack on Adobe's installer, but it's really nice and quick. I also switched to STDUViewer for PDFs and comic archives from my machine. FreewareGenius review

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Also don't forget Windows Live SkyDrive. 25 Gigs of space on that. You have to do it manually and there's a 50 MB filesize limit but it's still pretty rad.

Also, there's this little thing I just found that seems pretty rad if you use online services like this. Gladinet lets you mount online filestorage like google docs and skydrive as drives.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 4, 2009

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Avian Pneumonia posted:

well of course i have daemon tools lite (how else would i have been mounting the .iso files)

i was wondering if there wasn't a way to make .iso files appear & play in windows media center

I think Media Browser ( http://www.mediabrowser.tv ) is supposed to let you do that using Daemon Tools. I'm not totally sure how to go about it, but I think it's a setting in the configuration where you point it at your DT install.

Also, Media Browser is awesome.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

fishmech posted:

Have you noticed that it's possible to customize the ribbon yet? I'd say that's the best change.

I'm waiting for the Beta to download (gently caress that java download manger), but I really liked the Office Button that replaced the orb in the tech preview. That was loving sweet to have all of your options laid out on a screen. The print preview stuff is really nice. Makes me sad I have to use Office XP at work. :(

This is called "Backstage View" apparently.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 20, 2009

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Essobie posted:

I just recently noticed some weirdness with my mouse sensitivity today when I came back to my machine after it had apparently gone into sleep mode. It required me to enter my password and when it showed me the desktop my mouse was moving way slower than it normally does.

I opened up SetPoint, double checked that everything was where I put it specifically, didn't see anything amiss... and then when I hit OK, it fixed it.

So essentially now every time the computer sleeps and requires a login, I have to double click on my SetPoint icon and hit OK to get it to use my actual settings.

Anyone else using SetPoint* have this issue?

*I require the use of SetPoint because my mouse has 8 buttons and three of those I need to assign to specific keystrokes. Not using SetPoint is not an option... nor is really disabling sleep mode, I guess.

I have this in XP for my MX518, but I've never actually looked for a solution. I think it's related to SetPoint not resetting the adjustable DPI on wake, so you get the Windows default. SetPoint is awful.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Speaking of which, what programs that put Windows 7's taskbar enhancements to good use? Stuff like jump lists and controls on the Aero preview? I know the Zune software does, foobar can do controls with a plugin, there's that Gmail app that is pretty cool, the Jumplist Launcher software that seems redundant with the way the start menu works and Steam added some jumplist functionality. I know a bunch of programs use the progress bar functionality such as ImgBurn and, again, Steam. So what else is out there that puts this stuff to good use?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Casao posted:

AVG has gone to crap recently, and it's particularly bar with Windows 7.

K-Lite is just outdated and bloated, since MPC-HC will do everything.

If you insist on using a codec pack, for using Media Center, as an example. The Shark007 codec pack and it's x64 extension work very nicely for me. Plays everything I've thrown at it.

MSE is pretty good, I don't see much reason to use anything else, my like of Avast aside.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

IntoTheNihil posted:

Is there a way to buy and install Windows 7 digitally? The disc drive on my laptop won't read discs for some reason.

Joe Don Baker posted:

As has been mentioned recently in this thread, you can buy and download the ISO. Mount the ISO with d-tools or whatever. Then you can use a flash drive to install the OS. Instructions: http://kmwoley.com/blog/?p=345

You an also just mount the ISO and install from there. You don't actually need the disk once you've started the process, it puts all the files it needs on the hard drive you're installing to. I upgraded at least once during the beta/RC period like that.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Joe Don Baker posted:

Wouldn't that only work during an upgrade install?

I think I did a clean install from the Beta to the RC using Virtual Clone Drive. It's been a while, so I could easily be wrong. I mean, it doesn't access the disc after the initial setup from what I could tell on the installs I've done.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Keito posted:

Both hibernate and sleep mode won't work on my computer. I've got enough space on the system drive, but it just goes black for a brief moment before I'm greeted with the lock screen. powercfg /lastwake gives me zero. Any ideas?

I had to disable "allow wake timers" under my power settings to get my media pc to stay hibernated. I sort of disabled any way for stuff to wake the machine, so maybe my scorched earth policy isn't the best, but I think that wake timers did the job.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Cojawfee posted:

You just have the video open and then hover over its task bar icon. I think it only works if the video is open in the background, not if it is minimized. So you can have your browser open and then hover over the icon to see something interesting.

Or even better, you can use OnTop Replica and just have a little always on top aero preview.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've been using BitWarden for a few months and really like it. I ended up springing for Premium so I could use it for authenticator tokens. I use the Android app and the Firefox plugin and it's pretty smooth once you teach it some URLs.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've been really impressed with PrimoCache for speeding up my game loading without having to screw around with symlinks or installing stuff to my older system SSD.

Grabbed a cheap 500GB SK Hynix SSD and set up a L2 cache for my 3TB game/storage drive. Anything I'm playing currently gets to hang on the SSD and other stuff just has to suffer through one slow load and then it's cached. Even have it set for write caching so updates automatically get applied to the cache. Added some extra RAM recently and added a bit of extra L1 RAM cache. Not sure I've noticed a huge boost from that, but the L2 cache is absolutely worth the ~80 bucks I spent to avoid having to deal with the cost of larger SSDs or manually sorting through what games I want where.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've played a bit of Warframe over Parsec from work. :ssh: That one you definitely notice the latency, but it's quite manageable. I can easily imagine something less demanding like a flight sim or a turn-based strategy game being more than fine, though. It's also a pretty solid KVM for my work laptop, so I don't have to gently caress around with running cables, basically just has my work computer in a window on my gaming desktop.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 9, 2020

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm using StartAllBack and it's got a few weird behaviors. First, it doesn't index the Control Panel right, I have to type out the whole thing if I want to get to Add/remove or whatever. I also can't seem to find Calendar. Wanted to set up my Google calendar sync and it's nowhere to be found.

Any ideas? I know a bunch of people use StartAllBack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

The dev is extremely active on this forum thread: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183013-startallback-for-windows-11

You might find answers/be able to file a report there.

Oh, it's Win 11 being stupid. I guess I uninstalled Mail or something and they merged Mail and Calendar into one app. Still not sure if I can get my agenda stuff on the clock, which I think is the stock windows one, even with StartAllBack. Guessing that's a "Windows 11 introduced a bunch of dumb regressions for no reason" thing, based on some searching.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 30, 2023