Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I've been asked what anti virus my parents should use and at this point I have no idea what's considered good for Windows anymore (mac at home, corporate anti virus at work). Is MS Security Essentials good enough on its own or is something better required? Preferably something that isn't full of nag popups demanding that you pay extra for features you probably don't need. If there's a better thread to ask in I'd be happy to take it there, just didn't see one

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Anecdotally I've never seen an AV actually stop an infection, and I've never seen an infection on a properly updated / used computer.

Yeah I kinda agree. It always seems that you end up cleaning an infection with other tools rather than an AV really preventing something.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why XP though? There's very few older games that need XP specifically to run.

Why not build a Windows 98 SE machine? One of the major upsides is that nearly all modern malware you might run across simply can't run at all due to lack of the NT kernel, and that antivirus packages designed for it are essentially "complete" - because the last new compatible malware came out years and years ago. Any games you only have on Steam, wither just copy the files over (most of them will work just fine) o find another source for them.

And with the unofficial service pack ( http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/unofficial_windows98_se_service_pack.html ) you can add stuff like universal support for USB flash drives without needing special new drivers for each, and the like.

I almost want to build a Windows 98 VM purely for nostalgia...