Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Question about laptops and keys. Sorry if this has been asked before but I did a search and got an absolute mountain of replies. Tried to wade through them but, you know :smith:

My father in law just got a smoking deal on an MSI laptop. It came pre-loaded with Win 7 Pro 64bit, but also with a bunch of other crap software. Instead of uninstalling everything, I was hoping to do a fresh install of Win 7 with a standard OEM 7 Pro 64bit dvd I have for my home PC.

Can I do that and use his key on the laptop? I am hoping so since they're both the same version.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Toast Museum posted:

It usually works, but I did have one instance where the key that came with a laptop wouldn't work with another disc. That was a disc based on a Digital River ISO, though; I don't know if it differs in a relevant way from an OEM disc.

Thanks for the reply.

Worst case scenario, if his key doesn't like my media, I do a reinstall based on the image the manufacturer put in a small HDD partition.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hi, I have which is hopefully a quick and easy question about installing Win7 OEM on a laptop. I did a read of the OP and didn't really see anything for my situation.

A relative of mine passed away a couple weeks ago. I recovered her laptop. It's a pretty basic Levano. It is a reasonably new bare bones laptop, but absolutely loaded with crap software. I think she was one of those people that clicked on pretty much any link that was flashing in the browser to download for PC scans, or whatever. Anyhow, I'd like to wipe windows and do a fresh install (Not a re-install from the hidden drive partition, I want to get rid of the OEM junk too).

ANYHOW, the laptop is Win 7 Home Premium x64. I believe I have the proper OEM Home Premium DVD I burned from an ISO from Digital River. Is it as simple as doing a boot from the DVD and using the Windows key on the bottom of the laptop? Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks. Will give it a try in the coming days.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

When is office 2013 due? I need to take a university office course, but want to make sure I enroll before Office 2013 becomes necessary software.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I didn't know it was out already. :aaa:

And yeah, the U seems to change the required software pretty quickly. The change from 2007 to 2010 was with virtually no notice shortly after launch (its an online course, so it's not like they wait until the end of a semester to migrate). I'd better sign up soon then as I don't want to have to blow the money for 2013 just for a course.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pet peeve of mine that I've had for a long time, but never remembered to ask a windows expert about

UNTIL NOW!

After my computer is booted, doesn't matter if the PC is on for 20 secs of 1 hour, when I try to open My Computer and go into a HDD, it takes something like 10+ seconds to actually open it and start to see the directories and files for the first time.

Is there a way to speed this up so it isn't literally 10+ seconds? I could live with a couple seconds no problem.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

WorkingStiff posted:

Assuming Win7 or Win8, try going to Control Panel >Power Options >Change Plan Settings >Change Advanced Settings >Hard Disk >Turn off hard disk after: Change to a longer span or Never.

Done, but this happens even after I just boot into Win 7. Like, a minute after turning the power on my PC. Would that effect it?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

IT Guy posted:

What the gently caress is with the new trend to not include installation media with Windows computers?

I just ordered a Dell Precision M6700, paid $2000+, no installation media. gently caress.

Is there a legit download site, preferably Microsoft run that has the 64bit Windows 8 install media. The Dell version that doesn't require activation if installed on Dell machines would be a bonus.

I haven't seen physical media on any boxed PC/laptop in years. Usually it's just a small partition on the HDD for restoring which you can boot to in bios.

Not that I'd want to, it's usually loaded with bloatware.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not sure if Dell is actual imaging software or just restore to original specs. If I had to guess, it'd be system restore including the packaged bloatware.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but this thread is massive and I read an OP/tried a search and couldn't find anything.

We inherited a basic (but decent) laptop from a relative that passed away a few months back. It's running legit 7 Home Premium x64.

The problem is her laptop is completely infected with crap. My guess is she downloaded all of those handy little apps which pop up :downs:

I would like to do a fresh Win 7 install and not the included laptop restore on the hidden partition because the laptop also came with all sorts of crap shovelware.

Questions I have is this:

It still has the sticker on the bottom of the laptop, but I do not believe that's good enough to activate it, or is it? Assuming it is not, is there a recommended app to extract the key?

If I download the Win 7 ISO from Digital River, will the OEM Key from above be OK activating it?

Thanks very much, and once again I apologize of this has been asked. To be clear, I am not trying to pirate anything, this thing is legit I just want to restore it to fresh.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks!

I actually did the e-machine recover (ctrl-f10) and as I feared, shovelware abounded. But, after spending a few hours removing all the programs and doing updates, it actually seems OK. If I do it again I'll do it that way with the key, thanks for replying.

Last night after I got it running I ordered 8GB of RAM and a AMD P540 Turioun II to bump ot up a titch. Running 2GB and a V150 now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's pretty cool. I'm always leery of new apps that I am not familiar with or aren't recommended because god only knows what you're installing, but I will certainly do that in the future.
Thanks! :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

edit:

Forget about it, trying this another way

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 23, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is there a decent "free" word process/spreadsheet/ppt suite? I built a new PC for my mom (a 68 year old grandma) and she is all of a sudden concerned that she doesn't have an "Office" type program.

Running 8.1

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh god, don't have me try to get her to explain/use Google drive. I am already going grey/thinning hair :(

I'll check libre. Thanks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I could have sworn this was asked not long ago, but I can't find it. Sorry if this is a repeat.

I want to wipe and reinstall Windows on a couple of old no-longer-used but still usable laptops.I want to make sure I leave no chance of private info if someone wants to try and do a deep scan of deleted files on the HDD.

What's the best way to go about this? One is an old E-machine grandma computer and the other is a little Atom powered AcerOne. I think both have hidden recovery partitions you can boot to.

I heard "dban" is the go-to program, but I can't find out if it will also destroy the hidden partition.That would obviously be bad.

Is there a simple procedure to accomplish this? Preferebly something like: Copy program to USB key, boot to USB key (hopefully the old laptops allow me to), run secure delete program, boot to recovery partition... done?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

But I need to keep the recovery partition of the disk so I can reinstall the system though. That's sort of what I'm concerned about :ohdear:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks a lot for the ideas guys. I was thinking about overwriting with a big file as well.

Gromit posted:

This will be a faster option. Reinstall your OS and then run a tool to wipe free space. Eraser (http://eraser.heidi.ie/) will do that as an option from the Explorer integration. Just right-click the partition you want to do it to.
Thanks, so just to make sure I understand you: if I recover the OS install which will put it back onto C: (the only HDD on the laptops) , I can then run that app and it'll wipe the free space on C, even though the OS install is already on C as well? It will not hurt the windows install? Just do something to the free space left on the drive?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Awesome thanks, I'll check it out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nate RFB posted:

Going to be building a new PC soon, which means prepping the old Windows 7 one to be sold off. In years past this has usually meant DBANing the hard drives and re-installing Windows with the original disc & product key, but I'm wondering/assuming by now there might be an easier or more elegant way to accomplish this. Somehow create a installation disk/USB or something that already has the various SPs and other Windows updates on it and thus not need a huge download update upon re-installation.
I am in the same boat, except giving my 2500K box to Mrs. Slidebite, but I want to make it basically a clean install. I am prepared to do a wipe and re-install, but it would be nice not having to.

Related to this, I am going to be building a new, probably Skylake box.

Should I just suck it up and buy WinX or is 8.1 prefered?

I did the WinX upgrade on my ancient old laptop and while it worked "OK" I cannot stand the forced updates. That's almost a deal-breaker for me if they aren't going to make that optional like 7 and 8.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not sure if this the right place to go but gonna ask,

Is there a legit source to download an old version of office? My wife has Office Ultimate 2007 on her PC and I'm going to do a full reformat and upgrade on her PC, but I don't have the ISO for it. I know it's old, but it great for what she uses office for.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

In looking for my old key, I found my receipt and it says I paid for a DVD media backup, so I think I might have it somewhere, appreciate the help though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

How fussy is MS with activating old versions of Office?

I am giving Mrs. Slidebite my PC and she would like to put her legit copy of Office 2007 Ultimate on it (from that great steal deal a years ago) and I would like to put Office 10 on my new one, which has a key I got during university a year or two ago.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just built a new box on 8.1 (figure I can always upgrade to 10 before July if I want it) and went to use the calculator "app" and I'm horrified that it's some huge full-screen thing with no way to resize it like a normal window; only "split" the window. Is there some sort of a way I can make it look like the calc accessory program from Windows 95 - 7? Sometimes I need to have it in a small corner of the desktop and this split screen with the "metro" interface beside it just loving sucks.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 29, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ah, thanks!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

fishmech posted:

Considering you're already on 8.1, you have nothing to lose by going to 10, where among other things the calculator is resizable sensibly.
I almost certainly will at the end of the day, but the whole mandated forced down your throat updates really rubs me the wrong way. I had a couple bad experiecnes in the past with MS updates screwing stuff up, so I'll wait as long as possible to let them work as many kinks before I take the plunge.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is there a way for Windows 8.1 to pre-index a drive? I've got a 2TB or so HD with TONS of photos/vids I've taken all the years and each time I go to search for a specific file it takes several seconds for it to go through the drive to find it.

Am I just not looking in the right spot?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I could swear in 7 I could index from right click but couldn't in 8.1, however if I search for "index" it came up. :saddowns:

I'll give that a try, thanks for the help guys. It's probably going to be that easy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Factor Mystic posted:

Is the drive turned on for indexing in Indexing Options?

And that did do it, thanks.

So, another basic question. I notice 8.1 has MS Reader, a seemingly decent pdf reader.

How do I zoom in/out with it? +/- does nothing and I see nothing when I right click. This has got to be another basic thing I'm missing... right?

edit: I figured it out with ctrl +/-, but I can't get smaller than 100%, it automatically goes to multi-page view once it hits it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 7, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Have you tried the proper audio drivers from your motherboard mfg instead of the generic MS drivers? Might be worth a shot.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

clockworkjoe posted:

I just installed a bunch of updates on my Windows 7 desktop machine. Now, the wireless adapter (A USB Netgear WG111 v3) only works for 10 minutes at the most before it stops working. Using troubleshoot problems fixes it temporarily by resetting it, but then it stops working again.

Other wireless connected devices like my phone work fine, so I'm pretty sure it's one of the updates. How do I fix this?

You could also try turning off USB selective suspend and see if that makes a difference.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

clockworkjoe posted:

Windows update keeps selecting the windows 10 upgrade, even though I don't want to upgrade to it until june or july. Is there any way to keep MS from sneaking a forced upgrade on me?

Also, windows backup is wonky - normally I get a request is not supported bug when I try to run it. I googled around and found this http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...2c1820bb?auth=1

When I go into services, I have to start Windows Event Log and Task Scheduler manually even though I set them to start automatically with Windows. Once I start both services, backup runs normally. Is there any way to troubleshoot this?

Uninstall and hide updates KB3035583 and KB3112336

I'm happy with 8.1, but I'll probably relent before the July deadline.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I had something odd happen with the network on 8.1 and trying to wrap my head around it.

I needed to unplug my modem & router this am. They were powered off for about 5 minutes and then turned on, so pretty much just a basic reset. Nothing was moved,. The powering off was due to something completely not related to the network. I'm running a Zyxel Dual-band router and a Trendnet dual band PCI wifi card.

Turned on my PC a few minutes later, and the Windows network browser could only see the 2.4 signal from the router, not the 5 (I have them named quite differently so I can tell them apart).

Reset the computer and the 5ghz signal was then visible, but the computer refused to connect to it saying there was a connection error. I was able to connect no problem to the 2.4 signal, so I did, got into my admin page for the router and turned off the 5Ghz radio. Then I, turned it back on, and same thing, the PC wouldn't hook up with it. So I made the Windows PC "forget" the connection, so I had to retype the password and everything, same thing, no hook up.

Went back into the admin options for the router, renamed the broadcast ID to something else (that's literally the only thing I changed just the name), saw it as an available wifi connection, and it hooked up fine.

:wtc: would cause that? I've been running the same network hardware for a year or so now with absolutely no issues whatsoever before.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

There does seem to be a firmware update from the end of Sept. I'll try that out, thanks.

e: I was having issues with the PS3 disconnecting from the network too, it'll be interesting to see if that helps too.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 23, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I have a question. Not sure if this is Windows related (I suspect HW) but thought I'd try.

Just did a windows update on my HTPC which hasn't been used for over 2 months. Downloaded all the updates and installed no problem but the process did seem to take longer than I would have expected (the searching for updates part I mean - the download and install process itself worked fine/normal speed).

Go to turn it on yesterday for the first time post-update and I'm presented with the following black screen after POST. Go into BIOS, everything looks normal. Sees all the drives (including OS drive) but will not boot into Windows.

Is my 4-5 year old SSD that went into the system dead or is it possible a windows update could do this?

e: Win 7 is on it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 21, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I bought an M-Disc drive for archiving purposes.

Am I OK using built in windows burning for it or do I need to get a program like Nero or something? If I need something else, any recommendations?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is there a quick and easy photo-resizer plug in/app for Windows where I can select a crapload of jpegs and resize to whatever resolution? I'm thinking of select everything, right click and resize? Seems to me I had something like that before but be darned if I can find it now. :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sorry if this has been discussed to death already, but what's the thoughts on 20H2 update? Avoid like the plague or do it?

All my home PCs are calling for it as an option now and I've not done any of them.