Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Karthe posted:

What could potentially go wrong when reusing an existing Windows installation in an upgraded PC? I'm talking everything - new CPU, new motherboard, new RAM, new GPU... It seemed to start up fine and activated without problem so my friend's going to run like that till he gets a better idea of what he needs to backup before reinstalling.

Main thing would be the leftover drivers from the previous components. You can get bluescreens or just general weirdness from those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
I just have mpc-hc as my main and vlc as my backup media player. :shrug:

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

Check out Bitdefender Free, it is low resource and works on XP.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

Another vote for qbittorrent.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

Every time I go to login to Windows 10 one of the disability aids pops up and my laptop starts talking to me. It's annoying as poo poo. How do I tell Windows that I'm not disabled, now or ever, and I don't want assistance typing in my password?

Have you checked in ease of access? Sounds like narrator or closed captions is on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Is CrystalDiskMark still the go to for disk/error checking?

We have 10 drives pulled from a storage system that need to be checked for errors, etc before repurposing. Thanks!

Speedfan is another option since it reads smart info and you can run smart tests (short and long) with it. I just stick with CDI myself, but it is always good to have options!