Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I installed the 64-bit and everything has been smooth except for one sort of problem with gpu throttling.

I've got an Nvidia Geforce 260 and under XP it would clock down to 300MHz (576 is normal) pretty much anytime I wasn't playing a game. I could even have a windowed game in background and it would clock down until I brought the game to the top.

Anyway, under 7 it will throttle to 300Mhz for a short time after boot. But eventually once it gets pushed to 576 it will not go back down until a reboot. During all of this my E8400 will throttle fine.

I've putzed with power options and a pair of diff drivers. Anyone else seeing this? Not really sure if it's 7 or the nvidia drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Oh My Science posted:

One problem I am facing is the use of my G15 keyboard. I read online that I should be able to use the vista x64 drivers for the drat thing, but so far no luck. Whenever I start the installer it simply states that it cannot be used with this operating system.

Extract the files from the installer and run the .msi file directly.

grrowl posted:

Any ideas why my computer occasionally makes a random "Device removed" sound? I'll just be hanging out and I hear the familiar dee-doo when i haven't touched anything (or even when i'm running with no peripherals at all (laptop). Would this be in a log somewhere?

Do you have a wireless card? Windows will shut it down when it's been idle for some amount of time.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 21, 2009

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Mozzie posted:

I don't feel what you guys are going all crazy about. I've been using it on my secondary computer and it just feels like what is expected from a computer. Nothing about it stands out as fantastic (besides being a replacement for the vista abortion and looking modern). I've been using OS X for a while now and I am completely underwhelmed by Windows 7.

I will give it a bit of credit for having a bit better program responsiveness, but the memory management is still terrible. I just wish Microsoft would swallow it's pride and rebuild an OS from scratch over UNIX. I guess I'll continue to let my old PCs die and replace them with mac machines.

My mac is so awesome, I can't believe you guys use PCs. :smug:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

queztal posted:

I installed Windows 7 (build 7100) without AHCI enabled; if I enable it, obviously Windows won't boot since the driver isn't enabled. How simple is it to manually enable the driver for this to work? I found a post which explains how to do this, but if I enable the driver and Windows 7 won't boot for some reason, should Windows start without any issues if I disable AHCI in the BIOS again?

Yes I'm willing to go to this much annoyance to get a slight boost in performance.

That method worked for me to enable AHCI.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

All Too Much For Me posted:

Okay, I've been having a rather strange problem ever since I installed the RC.
Whenever I click All Programs, I just get a blank start menu.

The other reports of this say the problem is something to do with the number of items to the right, but that's had no effect.

Any ideas?

Is there anything in your start menu folders? Right-click All Programs and choose Open, do it again and choose Open All Users.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Xenomorph posted:

I'm trying to remember how many floppies my copy of Windows 95 was. 12-14.

I know Windows for Workgroups 3.11 was 8 floppies. Only the first 6 were needed for the base install. I forget what the last two were for.

Windows 95 was closer to 20 floppies that I remember.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Got my preorder from Amazon and just plugged my new key into an unactivated install from three or so weeks ago. And uh situation normal here.

Take advantage of 7's system image app.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I have it set to sync to a time server in "Internet Time", but I'd like for this to happen on bootup if possible. It doesn't seem to do that. Is there any way to force it to sync when the system boots?

The sync is done via Task Scheduler, modify its trigger in properties to sync at startup.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Simple Simon posted:

I have a question.
Is there anyway to remove the 100MB reserved space that Windows 7 Has made? It's kind of annoying or is it something I must have since I have an SSD?

You can prevent it from being made during install but I don't think you can remove it post-install.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 8, 2011

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Does anyone else use recent builds of Media Player Classic - Home Cinema? A few builds ago they had a memory leak which supposedly was fixed with a more recent build. But ever since then, even if I go back to old builds (pre-memory leak) the leak persists. I can't figure this out, the program is just 2 files and I've even reset my .ini settings but after watching just 2 shows memory usage in Windows will climb over 3gb and I have to reboot.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Synergy is having a sale right now for $3/$8 if you're still using an unreg'd version:
http://symless.com/flash-sale-b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Huh, when did Synergy go paid?

I think it's been a couple years now. If you dig around enough you used to still be able to download it for free, not sure if that page is still on their site. I donated $5 a long time ago and got a lifetime key.