Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Is it possible to disable taskbar thumbnail preview? It gets annoying because I don't ever use the preview. Googling it seems to show that there is no solution to it.

7 Taskbar Tweaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

spe posted:

When I was drunk yesterday I showed my friend that if you hit Shift+Alt+Prt Scr you can activate Cool Dude Mode on Windows 7 but now it won't go back to normal! When I tried to revert to regular desktop it just made it look like Windows 98, what the hell has gone wrong?

Use the Alt-shift on the left side of the keyboard.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Check out DisplayFusion or Ultramon, they're not free but they both have 30 day trials.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Macintosh posted:

I think this is the right thread for this question.

I'm on a MacBook Air (no optical drive) and I need to use Windows for some stuff for school. What would be the best way to get Windows installed through Boot Camp? I'm looking at buying this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q0PT3I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER but am unsure how I would install this since I lack both an internal and external optical drive. Is there a download option for anything besides the upgrade version or could I just buy the upgrade version and have it work?

You can download any version of windows 7 here as an .iso file, and I think you can use windows for a month or two without a serial number.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Alright, AutoHotkey problem. I am trying to play Far Cry 3, but due to certain rebinding oddities ingame, I need to use AHK. I rebound certain problem bindings in AHK, but they aren't working near how I expected. This is the script:
code:
up::w
down::s
left::a
right:
numpaddot::lshift
rctrl::c
numpad0::space
Now, the issues. When alt-tabbing out, clicking anywhere acts like a shift+click. The numpad0::space just plain does not work. And lastly, sprinting (using the numpaddot key in place of the default leftshift) acts very sporadic, sometimes working and sometimes not. I am very new to this and know my entire problem is probably the way I wrote the script.

When your pressing numpaddot, it's causing the left shift button to be permanently down, that's why when you alt-tab out it's acting as if the shift key is down.

Also having shift down messes with the numpad keys, I think that's why your other code isn't working.

Capt. Morgan fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 5, 2012

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

I plugged my phone in to move some files on it and accidentally clicked the "Do this automatically from now on" option. How do I get the "What do you want to do?" prompt back?

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\AutoPlay

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Yes, you can install the full version of windows with just the upgrade disc.

At least I think that's what you're asking.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

You should take a look at Doubletwist, it looks a lot like itunes though so that may be a turnoff.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Lester Shy posted:

I just installed a new SSD, so I've got a fresh install of Windows 8 but I can't seem to get my old Autohotkey script to behave the same way they did on my old version. I had it setup to control all my music with just a mouse.

code:
XButton1::Send {Volume_Up}

XButton2::Send {Volume_Down}

XButton2 & LButton::Send {Media_Play_Pause}

XButton2 & RButton::Send {Media_Next}
I'm using the exact same .ahk file and the volume commands work, but the media playback commands don't get any response from Winamp. I cobbled this script together months ago, so I can't remember if I had to do anything within Winamp to get them to work. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. It's crazy how much I'd come to rely on this script.

May want to check your global hotkeys settings in Winamp.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

89 posted:

So, I want to make some macros. Never messed with them before. I mostly want them to help automate my work flow. For example:

Automatically change my page's Facebook cover photo.

> - Open Google Chrome (New Tab)
> - Facebook.com
> - Navigate to correct FB page
> - Upload new photo
>- Pic certain photo in a folder depending on the day of the week
> - Close window

How could I most effectively and easily accomplish setting this up?

Look into the iMacros extensions to see if that can work for you, unfortunately on Chrome it has a 1 day trial. On Firefox the extension is free.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

teardrop posted:

I guess this might go here. We have a shared PC at work that is set to lock after idling for 15 minutes or so. We'd like to delay that for a few hours. I tried having task scheduler run a cmd window every 10 minutes, and an excel macro sendkey every 10 minutes. Neither prevent it from locking and I don't have power shell script access. Is there an easy way to stop it from idle locking other than asking IT to make an exception for this PC?

Autohotkey is what I use at work, this script hits the right shift button every 10 minutes.

#Persistent
SetTimer, CheckIdle, 60000 ; 60 sec / 1 min
Return

CheckIdle:
If (A_TimeIdle > 60000)
{
Send {RShift}
}
Return

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

bobfather posted:

I'm the IT guy from earlier in this thread who would ask for you to be terminated on the spot for doing this.

haha ok, I downloaded AHK from a company approved list of software. My manager installed AHK on the other computers in our secure lab after seeing all the scripts I use, so I think I'm safe.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Any recommendations for a simple webcam vlog software? All this recent chaos has me thinking about making a simple video diary. Partly for therapeutic reasons, and partly for archiving.

Just something I can run locally, maybe have the ability to tag and add notes to said videos.

OBS is free and is very customizable with adding text. It's not the simplest software to use though.

https://obsproject.com/

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Is there a shortcut or some software that lets me swap the entire contents of my two monitors? My secondary display is at an angle compared to my primary one, and a lot of times, after I get done playing a game, I'd like to move all the windows I have in my secondary (web browser, spotify, discord) to the primary one, instead of having to do it manually or via alt-tabbing to each window and doing Win-Shift-Right Arrow. Bonus if it's something that let's me tile windows to configured dimensions in addition to this (e.g. some shortcut/button that tiles discord to the bottom left corner, spotify to the top right, and 3 chrome windows exactly where I want them).

http://dualmonitortool.sourceforge.net/

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

What's a good easy-to-use free video editing tool for minor things like cutting out dead air at the beginning and end of a video? I've been making a lot of recordings in OBS over the last few weeks (thanks again for that by the way, you guys, it mostly works like a charm) and I want to clean them up a little when I have the time for it.

The Photo app in WIndows 10 lets you open and edit video. It's really simple and basic and only does trimming. If you right click on a video it should be in the 'open with' context menu already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

99pct of germs posted:

Long story short, I have a Lenovo laptop that comes with a Realtek audio controller. The manufacturer audio driver is absolute dog poo poo and strips away audio enhancements that I use (volume equalization). If I use the official Realtek driver it fixes the problem and works fine.

The problem is Windows Updates decides yanno gently caress you were going to force install the other driver instead. I tried disabling including driver updates through gpedit but no dice it still force installs the manufacturers driver.

Is there a way to stop this because its really loving annoying.

edit: Just tried disabling it under advanced system settings too so I'll see if that does the trick.

try manually selecting the driver you want in device manager, properties>update driver>browse my computer>let me pick from a list...

I had the same issue but with graphic drivers and this fixed it