Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
...well, I'm stumped. Still running Build 7077, and I can't get Netflix Instant Viewing to work in Internet Explorer. It says I'm running an incompatible OS, but it worked just fine in the original beta build. I tried both x86 and x64 versions of IE, and no go.

Anyone else run into this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006

Mollsmolyneux posted:

I was told about the 50% off offer, for Windows 7 and found that apparently the offer has ended today (7/8) two days early. WTF microsoft.

...that would be because it's 8/7, not 7/8.

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
Just bought a new 1TB drive, so it's time to reformat and get my OS off the 4-year old 320GB hard drive I've been using. I've been running Windows 7 since the first version was publicly released, and I haven't bothered upgrading it since outside of Windows updates.

I have the RC downloaded (was waiting to install till I bought the new HD), but should I install 7264 instead (is that the final one, or has there been yet another version leaked)?

Final clarification point, if I install a later-than-RC version, my beta keys will not work, but I can keep it running for 120 days without one using the re-arm activation trick, correct?

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
Alright, I have Windows 7 RTM running fine, but now I'm having problems figuring out how to re-organize/reformat my drives like I want.

Right now I have 3 older drives and one new HD (250GB, 320GB, 500GB, and 1TB respectively) The old Windows 7 Beta is installed (and still bootable) on the C: partition of the 320GB drive (split into C: and D:).

The new TB HD is split into 2 500GB partitions (H: and I:), and the Windows 7 RTM is installed on the H: partition.

What I want is to wipe the 320GB drive (currently C: and D:) entirely, and change the drive path of H: and I: to C: and D:, so that the current Windows 7 RTM partition is the new C: partition. I realize in hindsight this may very well mean I need to reformat 7 RTM again, but I'm not worried about that.

I can't figure out what exactly I need to do to accomplish this. The closest thing I've found is http://windows7center.com/forums/useful-guides/1118-how-move-vista-7-different-partition.html but that sounds like it'll move the current RTM install to the old drive, which isn't what I want (the 320GB drive is 4 years old and sloooowww).

Help? :confused:

fake edit- the point of all this is to get rid of all three older drives at once in a week or two when I can afford another 1TB HD to move all of my documents and media to.

real edit- Nevermind, I got it figured out. Ended up using the Windows 7 disc to reformat the 2 320GB drive partitions, cancelling installation, shutting it down to disconnect everything but the 1TB drive, reinstalling Windows 7 RTM on a 500GB partition on that, then reconnecting all the old drives and renaming their drive letters/reformatting old drives what was finally worked. There's probably a less Rube Goldbergian way I could have gone about it, but oh well.

Cerri fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 11, 2009

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006

Diviance posted:

Did anyone else get an email saying to sign up to host a Windows 7 Launch Party?

Be a part of Windows® history.
Host a Windows® 7 Launch Party.
Have Fun. Help Your Friends.
Receive a Signature Edition of Windows® 7 Ultimate.
You host the party. We’ll bring the favors.

I signed up. Figured what the hell, I know enough local gamer nerds I can lure em about anywhere for any reason if I include the promise of my home cooking, booze, and LAN/Xbox Live.

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006

Kleptomaniac posted:

I made the switch to 7 a couple days ago and I still can't figure out the big deal about the new taskbar. Seems to me it's exactly like the old bar, only instead of text you have icons. Can anyone please explain why this is better?

Well, for one thing, you can pin programs to the bar, and then open them right from the bar without having to use the Start menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006

Dominoes posted:

I asked this when Vista came out, maybe this has changed: Can I pin a menu to the taskbar? Ie: Click, get a pop-up of all my games in a list.

I have the Games Explorer pinned to the taskbar. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/27231-games-explorer-shortcut-create.html

Cerri fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 27, 2009