Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Casull posted:

Man, I *just* installed 7077! :sigh:

I guess I'll download/give it a whirl.

EDIT: Okay, should I even bother? 7077 is pretty good so far.

7077 expires in August, 7100 expires next June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xenomorph posted:

Microsoft should do something like what Blizzard does.

Every WoW patch is on a Torrent tracker as well as HTTP. The Blizzard patcher that loads up is just a simplified BitTorrent client.

Microsoft should do the same thing. Offer an EXE download link to grab their customized torrent client (for those who just want to download the ISO and don't want to mess with anything else), AND offer a link to the .torrent file, for those who just want to use their already-installed Torrent client.

That's all well and good, but there's tons of places that need Microsoft patches and can't handle anything bessedes ports 80 and 443 being open.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

These are the people who should be using the direct downloads, then. A torrent solution would significantly lower the stress on Microsoft's direct downloads, which would allow those who actually do need a direct download to not have to deal with crap-tacular speeds. The torrent solution wouldn't replace the direct downloads, merely complement them.

I dunno, I've never had a problem maxing my connection (whether when i had 8 megabit comcast or my current 1.5-3 megabit verion dsl) when downloading from Microsoft. When I'm off at my grandma's house with her 50 megabit FIOS it doesn't max it but I don't think that's a typical connection anyway.

I really think that putting in a torrent option would do nothing more than confuse a ton of people and add a ton more tech support requests for Microsoft and other people from users who see the torrent option and think their computer is broken.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sounder posted:

The Java SDK installed on a 32-bit computer I've got running without a hitch, but my 64-bit computer's install doesn't seem to be working, even though there were no errors during installation.

javac.exe is not a valid executable in command prompt. Does that mean an environment variable isn't set? Am I missing something? Are there any helpful guides for setting up the SDK on Vista/7/64-bit?

It sounds like some of your Java files are corrupted, that's the only reason Windows will call it an invalid executable (since you know it isn't 16 bit). Reinstall it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LoKout posted:

Marketing list of features for Ultimate that aren't included in Home Pro:
  • Domain Join enables simple and secure server networking.
  • Encrypting File System protects data with advanced network backup.
  • Location Aware Printing helps find the right printer when moving between the office and home.
  • Windows XP Mode enables customers to run many Windows XP productivity applications.
  • BitLocker protects data on removable devices.
  • DirectAccess links users to corporate resources from the road without a virtual private network (VPN).
  • BranchCache makes if faster to open files and Web pages from a branch office.
  • AppLocker easily restricts unauthorized software and enables greater security.

When you say Home Pro, is that Home or Pro?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xenomorph posted:

I don't know if there is any reason to get Windows 7 Ultimate.

Vista Ultimate was at least Vista "Home Premium + Business".
Windows 7 Professional will be "Home Premium + Professional/Business", so why would most people need to bother with Win7 Ultimate? I'm pretty sure *I* don't need it.

Hopefully we'll JUST see Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional on store shelves (just like XP Home and XP Pro). No Basic, No Ultimate, etc.

Well if there's features in Windows 7 Enterprise that you need, and you aren't a company with an Enterprise volume agreement, thats when you'll get Ultimate.

7 Home Basic is being restricted to emerging markets, like 7 and Vista Starter are or will be.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Priapist posted:

No, there are two separate packages listed there, which is confusing some people. They still have the 5/5 set that was the recent WHQL 8.612 driver combined with the older Catalyst Control Center 9.4. The other set dated 5/15 is the same driver with CCC 9.5. Their web people have been having major brain farts lately and there's no reason for the 5/5 set to still be listed since the new set incorporates a newer control panel and is unified with Vista.

You should maybe try "reading the drat page" - and stop being a cock.

Uh some people might want to have the older Catalyst Center for bug reasons. I really don't see what's so wrong about that page, other than the fact that you're too lazy to use PNG instead of JPG on a screenshot.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hobb posted:

So here is where im at:

Click here for the full 1222x766 image.

I've got the free space to extend into but the extend option is grayed out? I tried using gparted, but it also won't allow me to expand C: into that unallocated space either.

Not really sure what I can do and I need that space. :/

On the plus side I have to say win 7 runs pretty great, aside from random scary moments that result in just seeing a blank black screen with a mouse cursor.
Hiren's Boot CD has a version of PartitionMagic that runs off CD in DOS which the CD will start your computer in: http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Use that to resize your partitions.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hobb posted:

This didn't really work. I booted it up and it threw a slew of device driver errors around, then locked up my keyboard input.

Im kinda at my wits end here, nothing I've tried can extend my primary partition into the free space on my extended partition. I even tried moving my page file over to the D: partition as some places have said you can't extend a primary partition if it has a page file on it.

Still open to any ideas. :(

Sounds like you burned a corrupted image or the image got corrupted in the burn process.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Casao posted:

Keep in mind, you also can't upgrade to the RC from the beta. But a quick ini edit fixes this.

Not quite true, you can directly upgrade from beta 7077 directly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
This is kinda weird but I got a new, bigger, faster hard drive to be the main drive in the computer I have Windows 7 on. The last build I had on here was 7077 but I wiped that install and did a fresh install with 7100. The problem have now is that I can't install Office 2007 at all in 7100! IT installed just fine in 7077, but when I try to install it, after entering the license key off the retail box and selecting what I want to install, it keeps throwing a dialog at me asking where to find a file, and it apparently does this for EVERY SINGLE FILE IT NEEDS TO INSTALL. I got through like 3000 file dialog boxes at one point and still hadn't made any progress. And when I finally go to cancel the install, Windows 7 pops up a dialog that says it'll adjust compatibility settings for the install program so that it will work, only it does the same thing. I even tried using Microsoft's downloadable 60 day trial of 2007, and a torrent of Home & Student (which I do own) in case my disc was messed up (which it isn't).

Anyone know what the heck is going wrong here?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AlexDeGruven posted:

Sounds like something is goofy with your optical drive to me. Double-check cables and make sure everything's seated correctly?

If there was just something wrong with the optical drive, the download install and the torrent shouldn't have been affected, and if there was a problem with the optical drive, 7100 wouldn't have been installed at all since I installed it off a DVD-R. No matter where I put the files to install from the installer pops up this:

The files are always there, other computers in the house (running XP and Vista) have no problems installing from the files if they're copied to a hard drive or on the CD. In this case I got the Office Enterprise 60 day trial from Microsoft and copied the files to drive E:.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Casao posted:

7077 isn't beta, it's a leaked build from between beta and RC.

It's still not the release candidate and in the beta category though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Disharmony posted:

I don't know if this has been answered yet, probably yeah but I'll go ahead anyway:

How do I make a program immune to UAC? Objectdock isn't so I have to allow it every time I boot up.

You can't, because then it could be used as a vector for malware to come in unimpeded.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VideoTapir posted:

AND I found Firefox to be really sluggish. Is there a particular version I need to be using?

What version are you using? For what it's worth I have FF 3.5 Beta 4 running on Windows 7 just fine.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VideoTapir posted:

Yeah, regular FireFox 3 runs like poo poo on Windows 7 for some reason. Use the 3.5 betas http://www.mozilla.com/products/download.html?product=firefox-3.5b4&os=win&lang=en-US with the WinFox program https://brentf.com/blog/software/winfox-ndash-firefox-and-windows-7/ to get the Aero Peek functionality for FireFox tabs.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BeastOfExmoor posted:

9. Spanish, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese unicode(s) and settings are integrated, so one can run foreign apps or use foreign keyboards without changing languages & restarting.

This should have tipped you off that it was fake, since Windows 98 introduced changing keyboards/languagues without restarting, NT 4 introduced Unicode (there are no foreign "Unicodes"), and Windows XP combined the two for home users. I've never had a problem using a German or Japanese or whatever languague program in English Windows XP.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

threegallopingdogs posted:

Volume Control now allows you to adjust separate volume levels for different applications, which is sort of nice if not a terrible useful feature.

I take it you've never used Vista.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Messadiah posted:

I have a Sony Vaio laptop (VGN-FW230J) which came with Vista 64, in one of the Sony utilities I could specify it to only charge to 50% and then stop to preserve battery life since I have it plugged in a majority of the time.

The setting continued into 7 64bit but I can find no way to adjust it. Installing the Sony utilites led to a battery error which told me to remove and replace the battery and I never did. I'm just wondering if there is a way built into Windows 7 where I can adjust this battery preservation setting without using the Sony utils?

Only charging to 50% will only help if you're also chucking the battery in the freezer while its not in use. You'll get much better battery life out of just never letting it go under 5-10% charge.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Messadiah posted:

Welp, I guess I shouldn't be. I just stumbled upon the option when I first got the laptop and didn't really think about it just turned it on. So, from all these replies and no answers I'm assuming there isn't an option for this built into Windows and I should try the Sony software again?

Well no you shouldn't, because there's no point. It won't increase battery life and it's still constantly charging anyway to combat the self-discharge rate of your battery.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Also, upgrading from 7100 to 7137 fixed the problem I had where Office 2007 wouldn't install because it couldn't find its own files. The Zune installer still doesn't work for this computer though...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Relambrien posted:

Quick question, is there any free software compatible with Win7 that will create an image of my hard drive for me? I've been having occasional disk read errors and I've been unable to determine which of my hard drives is the cause. I reinstalled on this current one after removing the other, but in case the problem persists, I want to be able to quickly load the image onto the other drive so I don't have to spend time getting all my programs back and configuring everything again.

And actually, I've got another question about this. When I first installed the RC, I formatted both of my hard drives (I'll call them A and B for reference) via the Windows 7 disc, and installed to hard drive A. I didn't even map hard drive B, but I was still getting occasional disk read errors. To make sure hard drive A was the one causing the problem, I removed hard drive B. When I turned the computer on again, I immediately had an "Error loading OS." What could have caused this? Is there some problem with swapping hard drives under Win7, or was it just a hardware problem?

Other than that, I'm loving this thing so much. Installation was incredibly fast, didn't take me too long to get back into a usable state (most of my programs/settings back to normal), etc. Much less of a hassle than the hours it took XP to install.

DriveImage XML http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

deltawing posted:

So I tried XP mode today and it seemed pretty laggy here and there, anyone else experience this?

What processor do you have?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nam Taf posted:

You're not. Aero would make that window transparent. Right click on desktop and in the options in there, you'll find an option to enable aero somewhere. Buggered if I can remember it off the top of my head, though.

Uh no, there's Aero which may or may not be on since you can't tell from the window look and Aero Glass which will only be on if the window is transparent.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

free bowl of soup posted:

What do these numbers mean and how do I do whatever I need to do?

Download this app: http://corz.org/windows/software/checksum/simple-checksum.php and start it. Right click the program's window and set it to SHA1, then, drag the Windows 7 ISO onto it and it will tell you the SHA1 hash. If it matches the number Kapinga gave then your ISO isn't corrupted, if it doesn't the ISO is corrupted.

Hashes are basically a way to take a fingerprint of a file that is much smaller than the file so that you can know if a file is corrupt or not. Changing a single bit in the file will make a wildly different hash result.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mensur posted:

Still, it had to come from somewhere, like another infected machine on the network.

Sasser could infect an unpatched XP PC that was behind a NAT router easily.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SecretFire posted:

Uhh, assuming that the router isn't forwarding any ports, as tends to be the default, how exactly is an unsolicited TCP or UDP packet (Sasser was one of those single UDP packet exploits, right?) going to reach the computer?

I don't know how it did it, I just know that it did.

Anyway the biggest feature of UAC is the UAC virtualization, which just plain stops a ton of malware exploits even if the user is dumb enough to allow malware to (try to) install.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

free bowl of soup posted:

I have an old as hell Linksys wireless pci card. It didn't work at all. I hooked up direct to my router instead. Somehow, Windows 7 automatically downloaded some Dell drivers that work on my card, and now it works perfectly. Of course, win7 now things my Linksys card is a Dell card, but it works.

Try and have Windows7 automatically search for drivers, you might get lucky.

I bet Dell has a card with the same chipset as your Intel card (which makes sense because Dell tends to use Intel chipsets for wireless anyway), and Dell was still selling the card recently enough to have updated drivers for Vista and therefore 7.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

El Diabolico posted:

I just got around to popping this on to try it out and I'm really liking W7 (it runs as good and snappy as XP on this hunk of junk)...except for one thing.

I am getting this bizarre network issue where, for whatever reason, the DNS will not resolve and the internet generally ceases to function. It seems to work by typing IPs in. I can connect to my router and anywhere else if I use the IP but it wont connect normally. Firefox and IE times out. Also, the network stuff says that everything is connected fine but when I run a diagnosis it tells me it mysteriously cant connect to the internet.

I've tried 4 different drivers for my on-board nic, an Nforce4: 32bit in compatibility mode, vista x64, W7 x64, and the ones W7 comes with and they all act the same. Even manually setting IPs and DNS servers doesn't work at all. It acts the same. I managed to find a work around, though. by disabling and re enabling the connection then unsettling and resetting a DNS server (I used opendns in this case)and verifying the connection by checking the box, eventually it starts working normally until you turn it off and then goes back to its previous behavior.

Anyone got any ideas on how to permanently fix something like this? Its tarnishing what would otherwise be the smoothest OS install I've ever done.

I would've dumped this in the support forum but this place seems more appropriate. I've also been hearing others have been having similar networking issues.

Does it still happen if you set your DNS servers to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Are there any significant problems with running W7 without Aero? I want to put it on my mom's computer, but that machine only has a GeForce 4 MMX.

I've run Win 7's Aero on a GeForce 4 MX just fine, after turning off glass. Assuming what year that computer is likely to be form, Aero will make Windoiws 7 run great on that piece of poo poo compared to Windows XP (which is probably on there).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xenomorph posted:

Correct. Aero requires DirectX 9 hardware that supports WDDM functions. Some chipsets that claim DX9 (like some Intel shitsets) don't have all the hardware there, so no Aero.

GeForce 4 MX doesn't have DX9. It doesn't even have DX8. It is a DX7 card, with zero shader capability. So it has no way of doing Aero.

I would love to see this. Turning off Glass? That is pretty much Aero. GF4MX can't do Aero.

All I know is the original video card in the desktop I'm typing on was a GeForce 4 MX series card for the AGP slot, and when I first installed 7 6801 back in late 2008 I was using Aero, although the Glass effects were painfully slow. Turning off Glass but still using Aero, the system was much more responsive than in XP or with Aero off. Currently I have an ATI Radeon 9550 in here and Aero Glass is beautifully fast.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I love how all that "removing IE8" means is "removing ability to start it up as a standalone browser".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Orange Juilius posted:

http://www.osnews.com/story/21653/Microsoft_Won_t_Fix_Windows_7_s_UAC

Short version: Move the UAC slider to the highest setting and use a standard user account if you want anything to be remotely secure.

UAC Virtualkiztion still stops tons of exploits dead in their tracks even with UAC at the lowest on setting and a user blindly approving everything.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

alseyn posted:

Ugh, they can't possibly strip IE completely out. Half the applications embed IE to display their help/parts of program window. This can't be more than just cosmetic change. It would break so many things it would be quite funny. Are there any more details on it somewhere other than that vague article?

Like I said earlier, they're stripping out the EXE and shortcut for IE8 (which is really just a wrapper for the Trident rendering engine anyway). Really removing IE8 would among other things render Windows Update impossible.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'd hate for other browsers to be included with Windows because other browsers tend to have major updates every few months so the version on your Windows CD would probably always be at least 6 months out of date.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chikimiki posted:

Just installed Windows 7 and it seems to run nicely, though I really need to get used to that glossy interface.. I'm so used to the old grey look.

But still I was wondering why it won't give me the rights to change stuff on my external HDD (like renaming folders) although this works fine under any Vista Computer.

Also, does anyone know a good office suite? Wordpad doesn't open 'dem .doc files correctly, Openoffice won't even install (tried 3.0.1) and the MS Office is a trial version... Thankies!

You do realize you can get a 60 day trial of Office in any version from Home and Student to Enterprise, and that you can keep getting new 60 day trial keys by changing your email address? Making a new email address to use for an office key every 60 days until you can afford a nice cheap copy of Home and Student (which IS licensed for 3 computers, so you can go halfs or thirds on it with some other people) isn't so bad.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fancy_Lad posted:

This is just as legal as :filez: fyi

I don't see how it is, it's pretty much what it's there for.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Ultimately, XP mode is so that non-intensive 16 bit apps can run seamlessly on 64 bit Windows so that corporations with old 16 bit stuff will finally go to 64 bit.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Charles Martel posted:

Has anything been significantly reworked enough to warrant upgrading from v.7100?

Various bugs have been fixed in each new build. If you have problems on 7100 or just want to upgrade, by all means upgrade to a newer build. It doesn't take very long to upgrade anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DragonReach posted:

As with the update to RC, in order to go to RTM you will probably have to alter the iso to get it to update your install. A search will provide you the steps necessary to accomplish this.

The RTM ain't out yet, he has to do nothing special to update from 7100 to another higher build, just choose update when he opens the DVD/ISO.