Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

simcole posted:

I need some help figuring out the best way to share data across home network computers. I want to share files (some several gigs, some small) across my wired home network. I have a home NAS that runs windows 10 and has no login password. It has a main admin account and that's it. It doesn't have anything personal on it just media so I don't really want to hear about the security stuff. Moving on, I used to have the drive shared via homegroup. Apparently windows 10 got rid of that? It's no longer working and whenever I tried again to make them all join a group it won't let me. So now what do I do? Do I share the entire drive and create a user that matches each and every machine on my home network? Can I copy some kind of super user credientials and just make crap work again? This is terribly frustrating.

Search for "advanced sharing features" in control panel/settings, select "turn off password protected file sharing". Then double check your folders are still shared afterwards. You should now be able to just browse to the folders again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

simcole posted:

This did it. I wonder why they changed it. Thanks I didn't even see that option.

So basically Homegroup got removed in the latest Windows 10 feature update because it was considered no longer useful. It didn't really allow good security for the sharing and it had issues allowing things to be shared to other devices, like tablets and smartphones. And Microsoft didn't see a way it could be feasibly adapted in the future so that it would work with your tablets and phones and streaming sticks etc.

Things were thus reverted to the standard sharing method, with "must login with a username/password thats on the host computer" as the default mode for sharing. Hence why you had to go just now to enable non-password-protected file shares. (Part of the way Homegroups worked was it actually created an additional pseudo-user with its own password and the Homegroup password the computer asked you to share was the password to access that on all the relevant computers).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ynglaur posted:

Why do so few apps have a version in the Windows Store at this point? 7-Zip, WinSCP, Notepad++, Audacity, Pidgin, etc. I would assume at least some of them would have a version in the Store, but I am probably ignorant of some obvious shortcoming.

Because you need to convert your program to a full on UWP application. For tons of stuff, that'll be a major rewrite.

Slayerjerman posted:

MS probably wants to charge them a fee for the privilege...

It's a one-time $99 fee for a company or $19 for an individual to get access to publish store apps, without renewal fees. Might seem very high, but most major applications like that already purchase valid code signing certificates on an ongoing basis, and that stuff starts at $100 a year, so one time $99 fees for the projects wouldn't break the bank.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lambert posted:

You don't have to, this is old information. With Project Centennial, you can put up/convert any old Win32 application easily. Centennial is why foobar2000, Inkscape, Krita, paint.net are on the Store. With 7-Zip, they probably wouldn't be able to implement the Explorer shell hooks.

"You can just use a wrapper but the wrapper will break several of the programs' functionality"

You see why that doesn't work very well.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

crestfallen posted:

Let’s say I have 2 separate HDDs with a bunch of software across each. I buy 1 single huge HDD. Is it possible to get all the crap from both drives onto this new drive with minimal breakage of paths / shortcuts / registry crap?

These are storage drives, so no worries about the Windows install.

You're absolutely going to break half the shortcuts/paths, unless you do the foolish thing of partitioning the big drive and setting the volume letters for each to be identical to the old drives (after removing said old drives first of course). I say that's foolish, because then you'll just be stuck having to do the same arbitrary choices and file juggling you're doing right now when deciding what to put on each.

Probably is for the best to just copy them all onto the new drive, and then set about fixing each individual thing on the second old drive letter by hand. EG if you currently have that storage on E: and F: now, have it all go to the new drive and after pulling E: and F: set the new drive to E:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SEKCobra posted:

Can't you assign multiple drive letters?

You mean to the same volume at once? You can but it tends to be fragile, so you wouldn't want to rely on it. SUBST will do it flat out eg just SUBST E: D: but that usually doesn't persist past reboot, and attempts to make it happen each bootup have a way of breaking often. Especially if you have something that runs on startup but would be running from the "virtual" drive letter.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

khy posted:

Two questions about Windows 10.

1) My grandparents got Win10 free during that year of free upgrades; now we're looking into getting them an SSD to speed up their computer. Since I have no CD and no key, how do I load Windows 10 and activate it on their PC?

Copy their existing hard drive directly to the SSD, repair any boot issues, and you're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

khy posted:

I totally overlooked the PIN for obvious (N stands for 'number') reasons, but I did this.

Still frustratred with MS tho.

You can go ahead and purchase Windows 10 instead to get a key you can use indefinitely with no account ties.