Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Ideally we'd be sat infront of computers threadshitting in TRP all day but sometimes, alas, we must scrape our thighs together and go somewhere. Pop the ipod/radio on and keep the footie consciousness going. Thread discussing our favorite football broad/pod casts.

Guardian Football Weekly: Guardian Football Weekly: Popular bi-weekly (Mon/Thurs) pod with James Richardson and an assortment of Guardian correspondents. An excellent overview of Europe's top leagues and cup competitions and often comes with time to spare for amusing anecdotes and side-stories. The pod has been a launching pad for many now-ubiquitous football pundits including Raphael Honigstein, Sid Lowe and Barry Glendenning. Birthplace of 'Crouchy is 'avin his nachos.' The brass ring of football pods really.

The Football Ramble: A 4-man footie fancast that goes out on Wednesdays. The Ramble discusses the more bizarre and humorous aspects of football that happened in the past week and then compiles the sport’s most interesting profiles in the apt named 'Dean Windass Hall of Fame. Good Fun.

Times' TheGame Podcast: A Monday podcast hosted by Gab Marcotti. The Game features several prominent Times correspondents with discussion centered largely around the premiership. Provides little evidence that there is in fact much value behind their site’s paywall imo.

ESPN Soccernet Podcast: Bi-weekly, hour long podcast with ESPN writers. A fairly comprehensive roundup of the week’s events delivered in a dry mechanical fashion, kind of like ESPN.

5-live World Football Phone In: A Saturday phone-in that covers football in the Americas, Europe and other parts unknown. Tim Vickery and Andy Brassell are two of the best and usually worth the high price of admission – being forced to listen to the regular callers bumble through 5 minutes of pleasantries and benign questions. gently caress you Cleo in Aldershot, noone cares about your facebook page.

606 phone in: What do the punters think? Not much

World Soccer Daily: Worth a laugh because my god, the hosts are horrid.

Stop Hammertime!: West Ham specific, was off the air for a while after the sponsor went bust - go figure.

MoPZiG fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
I kind of like barry glendenning's sour faced moaning, you can't have a football discussion without a crank

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
I had no idea Phil Jupitus had a football podcast, thanks!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The problem I see with the Phil Jupitus podcast is Phil Jupitus being an unfunny prick.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
tim vickery owns but the amount of stupid crap on the world football phone-in does my head in

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Pissflaps posted:

The problem I see with the Phil Jupitus podcast is Phil Jupitus being an unfunny prick.

I've only really seen him on Buzzcocks, and he's great on that.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Rhg0061r posted:

He's usually funny when he is on QI as well.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.
My friend Paolo semi-frequently drops in on the Guardian podcast to discuss Italy, though whenever I listen it always sounds as though James Richardson is stepping all over his toes because James of course is a big Serie A expert/journalist. I think that's my second-biggest vicarious claim to "fame".

World Soccer Daily is really horrible, but an alternate download site for them is here http://podcast.com/show/1375/ which is a slightly less ugly site.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

DougieC posted:

My friend Paolo semi-frequently drops in on the Guardian podcast to discuss Italy, though whenever I listen it always sounds as though James Richardson is stepping all over his toes because James of course is a big Serie A expert/journalist. I think that's my second-biggest vicarious claim to "fame".

World Soccer Daily is really horrible, but an alternate download site for them is here http://podcast.com/show/1375/ which is a slightly less ugly site.

Paolo as in Paolo Bandini?

You know you're obligated to use this as a means of getting FLJ or Pissflaps onto that podcast.

Patient_Toffee
Apr 21, 2006

Break me off, show me what you got
Cause I don't want, no one minute man

Guitar_Hero posted:

You know you're obligated to use this as a means of getting FLJ or Pissflaps onto that podcast.

Yes must spread circle jerking retarded nature of the lovely forums to elsewhere. Great idea.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Patient_Toffee posted:

Yes must spread circle jerking retarded nature of the lovely forums to elsewhere. Great idea.

It's not a great idea, that's the point. But whatever.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Rhg0061r posted:

I had no idea Phil Jupitus had a football podcast, thanks!

He's also on the latest issue of Stop Hammertime! discussing his hosting duties at the West Ham year end party, which he cartooned about here.

DougieC posted:

Im curious what people think about Steven's recent fracas with Liverpool supporters trying to get him off the air. While he is right to free speech, having such an inflammatory (stupid really) view on the Hillsborough disaster was bound to lead to afters.

MoPZiG fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 18, 2009

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Gab Marcotti is a massive massive oval office, just a heads up if you plan on listening to his poo poo. He tries so hard to be contentious and edgy your eyes may actually roll out of your head.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

MoPZiG posted:

Im curious what people think about Steven's recent fracas with Liverpool supporters trying to get him off the air. While he is right to free speech, having such an inflammatory (stupid really) view on the Hillsborough disaster was bound to lead to afters.
Steven is a huge moron and I stopped listening when Nick Geber left. Every episode was Steven circle jerking about Chelsea and bashing Scousers. He really doesn't know poo poo about Football and it's more of a variety show as a result, and a terrible one at that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

While I wish I could find a good MLS-centric podcast, really, Football Weekly is about all I need to survive. Guardian is advertising on their site that it's the top sports podcast on iTunes and I can see why.

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007
World Soccer Daily is wonderful if you like hearing opinions about one match for two hours.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Rhg0061r posted:

MrBling posted:

He's usually funny when he is on QI as well.

what's wrong with you people

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

harperdc posted:

While I wish I could find a good MLS-centric podcast, really, Football Weekly is about all I need to survive.

Every Friday on the Soccernet feed is a separate MLS specific show. Problem is that its hosted by J.Chang who sounds like hes at a funeral.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
What on Earth? How can anyone consider Jimbo's puns a bad thing? Also Glendenning is OK.

Football Weekly is the best.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Have barely missed a football weekly in a couple of years. Listen to The Game most weeks and agree with all the comments so far, they're about the only 2 I bother with, I find all the others posted pretty poo poo.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Guitar_Hero posted:

Yes that Paolo. I don't get the FLJ/Pissflaps thing though? He is well aware of the SA forums after my long, alcohol fueled accounts of the exploits of Goonswarm.

I'm deeply jealous of him actually, and he knows it - his job is to post about football on the internet, which is what you and I do on our lunch breaks. He does it for a living, for more money than I get paid to do my job. He knows more about football than I do now, but only because it's his job now. We both were raised on diets of Championship Manager and Fifa 97. Could've been me if I'd had his moviestar name and lucky Hollywood breaks :(

DougieFFC fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 19, 2009

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
and talent

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Barry Glendenning is essentially me anyway, just with a more attractive accent.

His outright refusal to not actively celebrate Chelsea's failures is one of the more wonderful things about Football Weekly.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
The Guardian one is so loving great.

The Times one seems like a cheap shitey snidey loving garbage rubbish pishy imitation hosted by a fat unfunny cunting fuckhole with gab marcotti chiming in with his slurpy voiced contrarian "views". Ridiculous.

606 phone in is mental. It gets all the worst fans to phone in and its a bit too cheesy / sugary with Izzy being a bit too nice to all the idiots. I don't listen to Baker's LOL CRAZY WACKY PIRATESHIP, coz its shite. Lovejoy is a oval office but its good when Chelsea are papped out of Champs League and he cries over it. Spoony is bland enough to bother with. Alan Green is insane.

To sum up; the Guardian one rules. I love everyone involved. AC Jimbo, Bazza, Dr Sid, creepy Kevin McCarra, Honegstein, Roney, they're all superb.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

DougieC posted:

Bandini? He seems knowledgable in his field.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

The Finn posted:

Gab Marcotti is a massive massive oval office, just a heads up if you plan on listening to his poo poo. He tries so hard to be contentious and edgy your eyes may actually roll out of your head.

He simply can't speak properly. I mean, he can't enunciate. He sounds like he's chewing on marbles, literally all the time.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

ICA posted:

606 phone in is mental. It gets all the worst fans to phone in and its a bit too cheesy / sugary with Izzy being a bit too nice to all the idiots. I don't listen to Baker's LOL CRAZY WACKY PIRATESHIP, coz its shite. Lovejoy is a oval office but its good when Chelsea are papped out of Champs League and he cries over it. Spoony is bland enough to bother with. Alan Green is insane.

I listen to 606 in the car when I'm driving and it's on. I love Greeny on there - mainly because he does seem insane. He's an opinionated and contrary sort, which makes for a good show. Some of the others are far too quick to agree with everyone. Think that Danny Baker really needs a separate phone in show, because most of the time it has absolutely nada to do with the game. Not as in "nothing to do with the game that night", but "nothing to do with the game of football".

gibsonisacripple
Feb 24, 2001

CHAMPIONS
Not specifically related to football but it does have some ex-footballers such as Les Ferdinand a couple of weeks ago but Fighting Talk is fantastic. Usually sits on top of the sports podcasts section on iTunes and is basically a sports comedy quiz show for pundits.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/fightingtalk.shtml

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I like to watch James Richardson's european newspaper reviews and pretend that any second later the gazetta highlights are going to start rolling :ohdear:

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

gibsonisacripple posted:

Not specifically related to football but it does have some ex-footballers such as Les Ferdinand a couple of weeks ago but Fighting Talk is fantastic. Usually sits on top of the sports podcasts section on iTunes and is basically a sports comedy quiz show for pundits.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/fightingtalk.shtml

The adverts for this on the 606 phone in make me hate the gently caress out of it.

MOSF
Apr 29, 2009
I used to love football weekly but can't stand Richardson anymore. Soccernet has grown in me for the last year and I look forward to their pods these days.
The times podcast is ok.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
the mention of tim lovejoy is a good excuse to post one of my favourite reviews of anything ever

http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/145/29/

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

So its basically unanimous that all pods want Newcastle to go down.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Missed this when it first aired but apparently Russell Brand made his first radio appearance post Sachs-gate on TalkSport podcast.

Him and Noel Gallagher debate the most pressing issue in football: whos the best club - West Ham or City.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Thread necromancy :zombie:

Over the past few weeks the Guardian pod crew have been joking with Sid Lowe about him splitting allegiances with other broadcasts and him perhaps not returning. Does anyone know what other shows he does and if they really might have to replace him?

Incidentally their Football Eggstra podcast 2 weeks ago was probably my favorite of the season.

Anyone know any pods going through the summer? Tried to put WSD on to fill the void but its unbearable. Steven opened the last show basically insinuating that the British are biggots for not crying over CRon's departure and that Stevie G wouldn't have bla bla bla.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
pretty sure he's just a freelance journo who's doing bits for whoever's offering to pay him. it's not like he's breaking a tightly bound guardian contract or anything

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007

MoPZiG posted:

Anyone know any pods going through the summer? Tried to put WSD on to fill the void but its unbearable. Steven opened the last show basically insinuating that the British are biggots for not crying over CRon's departure and that Stevie G wouldn't have bla bla bla.

You mean you don't want to listen to three months of Steven explaining what he doesn't like about Liverpool fans?

You have no concept of high art.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
David Baddiel & Frank Skinner did a podcast for the 2006 World Cup, also for The Guardian. It was and still is hilarious, and well worth a listen for decent humour/football chat as well some nice and not-so-nice nostalgia

All 15 podcasts are available here - http://www.baddielandskinner.com/podcast/previous.php :)

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Bloodbath posted:

David Baddiel & Frank Skinner did a podcast for the 2006 World Cup, also for The Guardian. It was and still is hilarious, and well worth a listen for decent humour/football chat as well some nice and not-so-nice nostalgia

All 15 podcasts are available here - http://www.baddielandskinner.com/podcast/previous.php :)

It was for the Times, but it is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Bloodbath posted:

All of the links on that page (except for the preview one) are dead for me.