Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stim
Sep 6, 2006

We are not feeling edgy; the system is feeling nervous.
Reminder to everybody that this evening at 6pm in the UK (or just after the Chelsea vs Tottenham game) the live Football Weekly show is on.

There is more info here about how to contact them while they are on air and about the show here...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/audio/2009/sep/16/football-weekly-live-podcast-preview

Should be pretty good. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I can see it being a little poo poo to be honest. Fanboys wanking on the messageboard and the like.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Aye this'll be shite. 3 mins past, no update...

MOSF
Apr 29, 2009
Unsurprisingly it's yet another ManU lovefest, "It's a minimum of 4 minutes"

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Wasn't terribly impressed, besides, a live podcast is missing the point.

Russ
Dec 17, 2005

Chimping around, kick my brains round the floor
These are the days - it never rains but it pours
That was a bit underwhelming. Not because there was a great deal wrong with it, but I assumed that with doing it live that it would be a bit different, but there was really nothing unique to differenciate it from a regular pod. I'd have guessed it would have lasted a couple of hours, or they'd take phone calls or even just have a reasonably big name guest on the show, but at least it will be simple enough to release tomorrow as a podcast with no editing required I suppose. :confused:

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

We've got a pretty good football show here in Ireland called Off the Ball, one of the best parts is John Giles talking about the weeks events, he's an insightful guy when he's not on a panel arguing with Dunphy.

They've got weekly podcasts of the segment so check it out.

Football with John Giles on Off the Ball

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Unsubscribed from Soccernet pod there, was just listening out of habit really. Was handy during the Summer as it was the only one still running. Can't be arsed with it now though, so dry.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
This week's FW podcast: The idea of Jimbo and Barry sharing a flat in Vienna is so awesome

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Just listened to the latest Football Weekley and it hit me, the voice at the start that introduces it, is that Johnston from Peep Show?

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

Mickolution posted:

Just listened to the latest Football Weekley and it hit me, the voice at the start that introduces it, is that Johnston from Peep Show?

Hahaha, it might well be. They should have him on.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

RedPaddy posted:

Hahaha, it might well be. They should have him on.

Yeah. If it's not him, I don't want to know because I'm happy imagining him announcing it.

He's also one of the rasta guys in In The Name of The Father.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
One of the regulars on the Guardian podcast sounds a LOT like Russell Brand. If you listened to the most recent episode, it's the guy who said "rom coms" first.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Speaking of Brand, would anyone else like Barry's to publish his memoirs. I reckon theyd read like a very dour booky wook.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Hearing Glendennings reactions in anticipation of the Ireland draw was hilarious.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Order of podcasts:

Football Weekly w/ Barry Glendenning
Football Weekly wo/ Barry Glendenning
Football Ramble
(...)
everything else

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Just listening to the latest one now, Barry Glendenning going over the beach ball incident has got to be one of the funniest things ever on FW

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Throwing appreciation on the Football Ramble here. Loving it. It's no Football Weekly but that doesn't mean much.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Wow Paul Doyle really layed into Benitez on GW Extra this week.

Markeh
Jun 5, 2007
Savagely Irritable
I agreed with Paul (and Jermaine Pennant in a recent article) when they said Benitez has a poor track record of improving young players. He's not the manager you want if you buy a poo poo-hot young player who needs games to improve. Every manager makes bad transfer decisions but Benitez rarely seems to make average players play above themselves (Bellamy, the Morientes fiasco, Pennant, Kewell) or successfully bring young players along (Insua, any of the young strikers they'd had since he arrived). Liverpool just never seem to get a break on a lot of their transfer buys and I think it's because of Benitez's management style.

Benitez excels at building a squad of older, seasoned pro's who are tactically intelligent. But if a young Ronaldo had gone to Liverpool I don't think he'd be anywhere near the player he is now.

Hieronymus Bosch
Feb 26, 2008
For more US based stuff with a Houston edge to it, Glenn Davis' podcast on 790am.com is a fantastic show. Davis is one of the most knowledgeable journalists in the country and his level-headedness and appreciation for the sport and its facts is astounding. Usually will devote about an hour or more to the Dynamo and local area football, and leave the other hour for world-football and other issues

feed://www.sports790.com/podcast/glenndavis.xml

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

Glendenning's 60 second summation of the MLS in this week's pod is brilliant, it starts about 39 minutes in. More proof that Glendenning is the best thing about football weekly.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Jimbo's Christian Vieri facts were great.

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007
Barry's names for MLS teams were definitely name change worthy.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MoPZiG posted:

Hearing Glendennings reactions in anticipation of the Ireland draw was hilarious.

Definitely laughed way too hard and made some girl think I was terribly creepy when I was listening to that in a study area at school a couple weeks ago. First thing I think they've had to bleep out on FW! :haw:

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
The latest FW Extra is their first full video podcast, so if you feel like gazing at Jimbo's bald pate for 40 minutes, you know where to go.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Murkyhumor
Jul 24, 2006

This is Not a Pipe.
Fun Shoe
Barry looks nothing like how I imagined him from his voice.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Murkyhumor posted:

Barry looks nothing like how I imagined him from his voice.

Didn't watch this, just listened as usual, but he looks like Frank Grimes. Before I'd seen him, I imagined him to look like Chris O'Dowd, Roy from the IT Crowd.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Jupitus is leaving the Times pod. Is this the end of Diamanti watch? :(

Barry picking fights with the American GU posters was the highlight of pods this week.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

MoPZiG posted:

Jupitus is leaving the Times pod. Is this the end of Diamanti watch? :(

Is he gone for good? I know a lot of people don't like him, but I always have. Any idea who's replacing him?

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Mickolution posted:

Is he gone for good? I know a lot of people don't like him, but I always have. Any idea who's replacing him?

I thought he was leaving for a while because he's doing some westend show for a while, no mention of who'd be taking over

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

JingleBells posted:

I thought he was leaving for a while because he's doing some westend show for a while, no mention of who'd be taking over

Yeah, he said something last week about leaving for a while, but at the end it seemed like he may not be back. Homefully they get Guillem Balague back.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Ah cool, he's off. I might retry The Game podcast then... though, is Marcotti still on there? He's a oval office of the highest order.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

ICA posted:

Ah cool, he's off. I might retry The Game podcast then... though, is Marcotti still on there? He's a oval office of the highest order.

Flab is the emcee now.

r-lam
Jul 12, 2005

JAROME, EETZ ME!
Jimbo singing Elton John in yesterday's pod was a classic

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

MoPZiG posted:

Flab is the emcee now.

Flab? Is this a name for Gab?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

hehe turdy tree :laugh:

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!
I'm new to the whole soccer thing, but I kind of like the guys at https://www.setpieceanalysts.com . One guy has a really whiny voice that's kind of irritating, but their opinions are always really well thought out, and they cover everything from England to Russia to the WPS. One of the guys on the site (Krishnaiyer) has written a whole bunch about the USL/NASL split, which I haven't really seen anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Lazy like a Fox posted:

I'm new to the whole soccer thing, but I kind of like the guys at https://www.setpieceanalysts.com . One guy has a really whiny voice that's kind of irritating, but their opinions are always really well thought out, and they cover everything from England to Russia to the WPS. One of the guys on the site (Krishnaiyer) has written a whole bunch about the USL/NASL split, which I haven't really seen anywhere else.

The main guy has the gooniest voice ever, apart from that its OK. Im glad to see Im not the only one who thinks the MLS could be run through regional divisions.

For US based stuff I recommend http://americansoccershow.com/ aswell.