Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Hey! I picked up a cheapish ($325) Canon XA10 on a whim, and it's proven pretty useful for getting skateboarding clips and b-roll type stuff. It does have some quirks, like a busted USB port and doesn't seem to have the ability to record direct to a card even in manual mode. So with that I'm wondering if it might be worth spending a bit more on a XA30 or something similar, or maybe just trying my luck with another XA10. Seems like XA11's and above all go for about $700 until you get into the 4K cameras.

I don't think I'll be doing anything more than making some short pieces for YouTube and my own enjoyment. I'm in pretty deep with Canon having a good DSLR setup and all, but I could be convinced to look further afield. Really do like the camcorder's form factor and don't have quite the budget for a 4K camera I don't think. Open to recommendations, even to just deal or use my iPhone.

Edit: For what it's worth, I found out the XA10 I have is a PAL version. Shoot. Found a decent enough deal on an XA11, so going to give that a go.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah, it sounds like a good situation for a gift card to B&H or similar.