Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This thread is for the discussion of film and video, be it film making, hardware, or general knowledge. Or why a 32 gig card for an HVX costs over $1400 for 80 min of footage. I mean, what the hell panasonic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just picked up a Canon XH-A1, and I'm wondering first of all what the best fisheye/wide angle lens would be for it. I'd like to shoot some skating with my camera, and that would be the fisheye's primary use.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for the op, I'd be happy to add them.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's kind of a bargain, but the price of P2 cards is one of the many reasons I went with a Canon XH-A1 instead. Non-linear video capture sounds great, but I don't have the extra 3 grand for the convenience.

How'd you like the RED camera? I hear they're the poo poo.

The Affair posted:

http://www.vimeo.com/4792004

If you want, I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts after viewing, good or bad. Either way, enjoy.

I thought it was pretty well shot and edited, although some parts seemed to drag on a little longer than I'd prefer. The audio would spike every once in a while, too, like when the music in one of the scenes came on. It didn't hold my interest, but then again I'm not one of the students or parents of the film. Just for future documentaries, do something unique that'll keep the audience interested. Overall, though, job well done. I'll post up my own stuff once I start making it, probably sometime in the fall when I start school.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 1, 2009

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He can get hit and not get hurt. If it's shot from the interior, it'll look more dramatic I think, even if it's only 5 mph. I think reversing the rolling down the hood would look crap, since it would look like he rolled up onto the hood from the ground.

I'll work on improving the OP with some tips for beginning film makers or something like that.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
drat, this thread got a lot of replies since last time I checked.

I agree the video on the 5Dmk2 looks great, but I can't imagine trying to make movies on it, mostly due to the one frame rate and no way to improve on-board audio, although you could record audio separately and sync it in post. I haven't ever played with the camera, though, so maybe spending some time with it would change my mind. I think it'd work for someone like Reichstag, but if you get more into film making I think it would make the whole process more cumbersome.

Edit: I'll look into that red rock and other 35mm adapters, but just from looking at the redrock page my first thought is "holy poo poo I bet that's expensive as all hell".

And it is, nearly 7 grand for a complete setup. But god drat does it take some awesome footage.

http://www.redrockmicro.com/lensadapter/

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 23, 2009

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sure it is. I'm not too familiar with sony camcorders, but if the mics can hook up to it, you've got a better audio setup going then a lot of people. Just storyboard it out and plan your shots accordingly. Vegas 7 is pretty good for how cheap it is. If the laptop sucks you might have issues rendering the video, but I don't think I've had any issues with vegas on a $900 acer laptop.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Same at my high school. The video class teacher was the math teacher for that school and didn't really know a lot of technical stuff. He was more concerned with running the school news every morning, then assigning us to make a commercial or some other straight-forward project like that. I didn't really learn anything about lighting or other techniques until college.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Went and got most of the parts for one of these today. parts cost me only about $30, but I haven't gotten a tripod head for it yet.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Walnut Crunch posted:

Also this steadicam guy is a golden god....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrTuW1O2eSg

Holy fuuuck, that guy is awesome. I wish you could see more of what it looked like, you can kinda see the shot on the monitor on the bottom right.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
anybody have experience using a Firestore with a Canon camcorder, like the XH-A1? I'm wondering if using has the same workflow as P2 or something comparable and I'm assuming it still records in HDV format.

I'd love a panasonic, but I didn't really feel like throwing down nearly 10 grand on a field I'm still a little unfamiliar with.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got okay'ed to record my Ranger company doing a jump tomorrow! I'm pretty stoked about it. I have one guy jumping with a ContourHD on his ruck looking up so you can see the airplane falling away and watch the chute deploy, and I'll be able to tape three different jumps in one day from inside the plane with an XH-A1. I'll have to wait for S-5 to clear the footage before I can post it or anything, but that shouldn't be a problem considering nothing major's changed about jumping for the past 40 years.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately I gotta wear a helmet the whole time.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 3, 2009

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Alright, the edit's not quite done yet, but here's a clip from the rucksack cam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ7P9U9R57U

I'll post the edit in a couple days.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finally finished up my edit of the C-130 jump. I've been slacking on it pretty bad. I'd like more exterior footage of the airplane, but that'll have to wait a bit. Otherwise, I think it turned out alright. Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSsKFF1lCMc

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just asked if it was alright, and they said yes. It wasn't a problem since I was still in, but trying to do it now that I'm out would be much more difficult I think.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SquareDog posted:

Here is my newest cinematography reel, I've posted it in a couple other places already this past week so maybe you've seen it already. Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZKl9tgO_qs&fmt=22

That was good, I also found out where that wink gif came from now.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gonna start up school again here shortly. In the mean time I want to shoot more footage and get more comfortable with the camera and what it can do visually, as well as try to build a portfolio to get into dxarts at University of Washington next year. For people already in the business, what suggestions do you have on what fields I should study other than cinema, or what programs I should be proficient with? Using a camera and editing software are obvious, but I'd like to know if employers prefer people that can use flash, photoshop, etc.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
wanted a shoulder mount adapter for my xh-a1, and dvinfo seemed mostly in favor of the cb105 as far as cheap solutions went. ordered that, and I might be doing some stuff for Pacific Raceways. I asked about doing infield taping for motorcycle races, and she asked if I wanted to tape for car and drag races too. Could be fun to do, and probably worth it for the experience anyways.

Last thing I made was a very short edit of a day out on highway 7 of some motorcyclists. There were only 3 that were running the same road multiple times, so they show up the most. I just wanted to try out some slow motion stuff, so I recorded everything in 60i and knocked it down to half speed. Learned that my tripod sticks too much(re-greased it, should be smooth now) and that a faster shutter speed is a must. Tracking's a bitch on a tripod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLTr7hto9ZM

Any suggestions for recording action are welcome.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I would seriously poo poo a brick if my cousin bought me an HPX with extra P2 cards.

Something like an HV30 would probably be plenty for a film student. Somebody probably makes something similar, but records to flash or hard drives instead. Don't worry about the video quality, it's plenty of camera if it's in the right hands.
(Guy used an HV20, basically an older hv30)

Edit: "Anyway, the video was shot pretty much guerilla style with equipment that can not be described as proffesional by no means.Canon hv-20, a cheap sliq tripod, lots of filters (polarizers,nd's,half nd's, gradient grays etc.)Edited on a laptop that runs Sony Vegas 8.Thanks."

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 29, 2009

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I tried signing out cameras from the school. It sucked. They found the need to put a sony handycam into a 10 pound pelican case and use 15 pound tripods for them. Combine that with my dorm being 1/2 mile downhill from the art building and having to turn it back in 2 days later, it gets real old real fast not having your own equipment or editing station.

Kitsch, you can get a Canon XH-A1 for $3,400. It's a pretty good camera and what I use now.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
3 dudes trying to get pictures and video at a wedding seems like a lot of traffic to not make mistakes sometimes, but the dude should seriously have a little more situational awareness than that.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know offhand or can guess what the camera package usually used on house costs? I'm doing a short essay on the season finale being shot on a 5D.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was gonna base overall cost of a typical setup to the Canon 5D setup, and made an estimate that the camera and lenses was probably under 10 grand for the canon. If rental is the typical approach, I'll go with that. As far as lenses go, it was in his twitter feed.

quote:

Among the questions posed were on lenses used--"[A]ll primes and zooms made by canon for speed we often stayed on the 24-70&70-200."

And how they kept the image stable--instead of using brackets, the crew "mostly gave it a hand held feel" or used "a small tripod."The bottom line might be in one tweet, summing up Yaitanes' feelings on using a $2,500 digital camera traditionally used for stills on one of the most popular shows on network television:

"[I] loved it and feel it’s the future."

Not sure why he decided to go for that look, but I guess we'll see the results on may 17th. As for the article, it's pretty much a one-page thing I'm throwing together in a day, and I don't think it'll really expand much past what's been discussed here already. If you want, though, I can still put it up when it's finished.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Alright, finally wrapped up that short paper on Yaitanes using a 5D for House. Let me know if it's alright or if I'm talking out of my rear end on most of it.

Technology is changing not only the way we watch television, but also the way it’s produced. Just two weeks ago Greg Yaitanes, the series director of House M.D., said on twitter that the season finale of the award-winning show was shot entirely on a Canon 5D mkII, a full-frame DSLR(digital single-lens reflective) camera that is able to capture video in 1080P. Why is this significant? The Canon 5D with lens only costs $3300 brand new, and the entire lens package Yaitanes shot with was under $10,000. The typical studio set up, shooting on 35mm film, costs about $3600 a day just to rent.
Many see the new technology as the next big thing. Director Yaitanes said on his twitter, “[I] loved it and feel it’s the future”. The availability of beautiful HD in a small, inexpensive package opens up the doors to several amateur directors with very small budgets. Just recently, an ad for Molson Canadian beer was aired on the winter Olympics that was shot almost entirely on a Canon 7D, a camera nearly half the price of the 5D. The small package also makes shooting on location much more discreet and less cumbersome in most cases.
The new tech still has several drawbacks, however. The sensor in the 5D that captures the video is much smaller than sensors in professional video cameras. This leads to a reduction in picture quality as the camera isn’t able to capture as much information. The sensor in the 5D is also prone to vertical aliasing on quick horizontal panning shots, due to the way the camera captures video. To make the video look professional still requires all the work of a professional set as well. Audio still needs to be recorded separately, lighting still needs to be set up, and your crew is still just as big.
The technology is very handy in smaller, low budget applications, but it’s still a long ways off from ever replacing a traditional recording set up. It also doesn’t change the fact that short film or documentary is only as good as its director, no matter how many pixels they fit onto the screen. The availability of high definition video to the masses has promise, even if it only promises to flood youtube with poorly shot short films.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got the idea somewhere that the 5D had a 35mm sensor. Like I said, it was a pretty low effort paper since it only counts towards something like 10 points out of 300 for the class and I don't think the teacher is even aware of what a sensor is.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

In photography terms, it does. Even the crop sensor in the 7D is way, way, way, way, way bigger than any standard video sensor.

Yeah, poor ethic on my part for going off the assumption it was smaller because its chart(posted a few pages back) was shittier.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations on shotgun microphones for a student? I guess I'm looking for something cheap, flexible and good quality. My camera's an XH A1 and has XLR ports as well as regular TRS mic inputs, so my options are pretty wide in that aspect. Something that can go between boom pole and camera mount would be handy as well, but I don't think most shotgun mics would complicate that.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VoodooXT posted:

What's your budget? You could go with a Rode NTG-1 or a Rode Videomic if your budget is less than $300.

I was hoping for something a little less than that. The equipment cage has decent audio equipment, but I was just looking to become somewhat independent of that process until farther down the line. They only give out shure sm58's for first year students, and it's one day rental only.

I guess I'll just keep my eyes open for a decent deal on equipment.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 19, 2011

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why hypercardioid instead of a plain cardioid? Just for a slight bit of ambiance? I can't imagine the sound of the ceiling being particularly interesting otherwise.

Anyways, it'll probably be a mix of indoor and outdoor. I think a regular cardioid shotgun would work for most of what I want.

I was looking through B&H, and I think this MXL FR-304 might serve me well. I'm pretty sure the one negative review was some retard who forgot to turn on the phantom power. Used or improvised poles and shock mounts shouldn't be too difficult to find/make cheap(or so I hope).

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good explanation, thanks for the repost. Guess I should read up on dvinfo a ton more.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My video instructor just showed us the scene 64 editing contest on the "The Power of Few" website.

http://thepoweroffew.com/editing

Seems like an interesting opportunity, if just to have a chance to edit some professional footage.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hate to see this thread go dormant, so here's some news. Canon just unveiled a new professional camera to compete with Red and Arri.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/03/canon-launches-c300-cinema-camera-prepares-to-take-on-red-scarl/?fb_ref=article&fb_source=home_multiline

And naturally, Vincent Laforet got the first stab at it.

https://vimeo.com/31525127

Retailing at around $20,000. Picture quality looks really drat nice.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The school I'm at now has an elective course called independent study, where you design your own topic to study and build a curriculum around it. Does anyone have any good suggestions? The school (Art Institute) has a decent amount of video equipment and already teaches motion graphics. Things I've considered studying are shooting on film cameras or 3D cinematography, but I'd like suggestions on anything you guys think would be more useful.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Walnut Crunch posted:

I'm still owed a week with a phantom. Just haven't found the perfect use for free week o' phantom.

I asked my friends in a bar last night. Their ideas were a cumshot, projectile vomiting, and a tattoo gun(basically covered in '8 hours in Brooklyn')

I would probably wait until spring/summer, then shoot motorsports. Guys like me get a boner over watching suspension and body panels compress and vibrate in slow motion, and seeing each exhaust puff out of the exhaust. That or people getting punched.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Having your own gear definitely helps, but as long as you can reserve the gear and plan ahead for your shoot, you should be fine. Pre-production makes a huge difference in how your final product can turn out. And you might not care much about it, but getting good audio is just as important as good footage. Check out a shotgun or lavalier while you're getting the camera. Use a tripod until you have the basics down.

Don't know about recommended reading(you'd have to ask people around here), but 5 C's of Cinematography was assigned to my class last quarter and it explains the rules and guidelines of film making pretty well, in my opinion. Getting a used DSLR and reading about photography might help you a bit with composition, or at least teach you how the different elements of ISO/gain, aperture and shutter speed work, and that'll cover over to almost every camera you use. Also look into things like the rule of thirds and 180* shutter(at least double the shutter speed for your framerate).

Anyways, I've only been in my program for a year now, but this board's full of professionals that I'm sure can offer more and better advice.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

I just saw this video released by the Canadian Mint regarding Canada's new digital currency. What software do you guys figure they used to make the video? Is this something that you'd put together using After Effects?

Looks like they used a 3D program for things here and there(the globe, closeup of the computer), but most of that could be handled in After Effects I think.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I were in that position, I'd probably start reading manuals and threads about the Alexa to get a better idea on its finer details. It might be a long shot for them to let a PA play with their camera(and I'd probably be hesitant to ask), but if the rental house is nearby, maybe you can arrange to go in during the day and get a hands-on. I have no clue how that would go over, though. They might like that you're trying to learn so much and make the shoot go smoother, but they might also think you're wasting their time or worse, like you're stepping on their toes.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's awesome, congrats and good luck!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I start my first legit PA job this Tuesday at 2:30 am. I know to hustle, be proactive, and have picked up on lingo over the past couple years. Anything else real important I should know? I'm pretty stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good luck, Chitin!

So, on the opposite side of the spectrum from 'DSLR on a Cameleon', here's something I found pretty amusing: a Red epic on a homemade steadicam-looking thing made from an aluminum rucksack frame, some pipe, and rubber hose attached to a figrig.

I totally gotta make one of these now, it worked pretty drat well.