Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

GLUE GLUEEEEE GLUUUUUUEEE, Karl Marx! GLUUUEEE GLUE GLLLUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!
Hello fellow filmmakers!

Any other Canon XL2 users in here? What sort of presets do you use?

I'm trying to put together some good presets for the XL2 and I'm just wondering if there are any other XL2 users on here that might have some good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

The Affair posted:

I'm an XL2 user.

After downloading the stock "Crush the blacks, up the contrast and saturation," "bleach bypass," and "dramatic black and white" presets, I went and played around a lot with those three to see how they were setup in the camera.

At this point I change the presets kind of on the fly when I'm out in the field.

There's a preset manager, and library of pre-made stuff at this thread on DVINFO.net.

Great! Thanks for that link.

I haven't really messed with presets a whole lot, I've always done alot of messing with the look during post, and I'm about to start production on a short dramatic film that needs alot of drastic shadow and changes throughout the film. I want to try and give the presets a try this time around and see if I can give myself more of a break during post this time around.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

Mozzie posted:

Nope, No, and no. I don't even have to justify my argument because the HDSLR crowd is almost as stupid as the red crowd.

P.S. that commercial looks like poo poo.

Which is almost as stupid as the film crowd, which is almost as stupid as the DV crowd, which is almost as stupid as..etc. etc. etc. Seems like you're just as stubborn as someone who wants to exclusively use an HDSLR.

I guess what everyone in this thread (other than you) keeps saying is that all of these cameras are just tools in a toolbag. They have their place in certain situations, circumstances, budgets, and creative vision.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

bassguitarhero posted:

The Zoom H2 would be good cos then you wouldn't need a converter so you wouldn't lose audio quality, plus having your audio recorder separate from your camera means you don't need to run cable all the way to the camera, the mic and recorder can be hidden anywhere from the camera's view and it'll work. Plus, syncing will require learning to slate properly, and that's a good habit to learn.

I've been using a Canon XL2 for awhile now and I've always been running the sound into the back XLRs and recording that onto the tape.

Now I'm looking at getting a T2i to add to my gear and I'm looking at this Zoom H2. I've never recorded sound separately before. What would be the proper way of slating? With the XL2 we didn't really need to clap because it was syncing on the tape, but I was just wondering if you're able to explain the slating process on here.

Is it as simple as clapping or is there a better process to help sync later?

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

Any recommendations on shotgun microphones for a student? I guess I'm looking for something cheap, flexible and good quality. My camera's an XH A1 and has XLR ports as well as regular TRS mic inputs, so my options are pretty wide in that aspect. Something that can go between boom pole and camera mount would be handy as well, but I don't think most shotgun mics would complicate that.

I finally got a budget shotgun mic and got the Audio Technica AT897. I'm liking it so far.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300615-REG/Audio_Technica_AT897_AT897_Short_Condenser.html

Although, I bought the shotgun mic kit for $800 on that site that came with the boom pole, dead cat, and a few other accessories. I've only used the mic 2-3 times so far, but I like it.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

SwedeRacer posted:

At the risk of being buried in this massive thread, I figured I'd offer up a FREE Goon service:

I'm trying to build up a colorist reel and need some short films, music videos and the like. I figured there are some talented goons so I figured I'd offer some free color grading to any one who might want it.

I'm currently grading on Apple Color and have a Decklink 3d card running out to a Flanders FSI Broadcast monitor. 100% color accurate. I just got my hands on Resolve 8 but don't know how to use it quite yet - that might be something I can offer down the road.

Let me know if you might have something, but it an old project or one you're just finishing up now. Probably the easiest way to get it to me would be a Pro Res file over an FTP, but shoot me an email (Swederacer @ gmail) and we can discuss. I'll be more inclined to work on shorter projects also, so please no 150 minute documentaries.

Heres something I graded a while back: http://vimeo.com/23127016
One of my first projects, but I think it turned out pretty OK.

I'll be shooting a short film (15-20 minutes) in mid-August. Once it's edited, I'll shoot you an email if you're still offering this service!

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

Any cinematographers travel overseas a lot?

I'm doing second unit camera work for a mini-series on Roman archaeology this summer in Italy and I'll be bringing my gear with me (to be clear, I'm traveling from the US to Italy). My main camera stuff I've managed to fit into a carry-on sized Pelican case. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? How difficult is it getting through customs with this stuff? Should I prepare myself for a hassle?

I haven't traveled overseas since pre-9/11 so I don't know what to expect in terms of changes.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

Steadiman posted:

Sometimes it's this easy. Sometimes it's really, really, not. Best to be overprepared than underprepared when dealing with customs and TSA and such. I don't know what he's shooting with but ofcourse an HVX wouldn't be a problem. Something bigger might be.

First of all, thanks to everyone for responding. This has been really helpful.

Luckily, I won't be carrying the main camera. They wanted me to just bring my HDSLR so I'm hoping it will be pretty easy to go through customs, etc. because it doesn't look unusual. I have about 4-5 lenses I'm bringing as well as some other various equipment. Bringing brochures is a good idea, thanks Steadiman. I may bring it for some of the more "unusual" equipment like my Xoom and some other stuff.

Thanks again for all that info. I'm pretty excited!

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

Sorry if this is inappropriate but I'm trying to sell my used Chrosziel matte box kit on eBay (http://r.ebay.com/E0XRv5) and I don't know if I'm pricing it right. I'm hoping you guys could give me a ballpark idea so I could relist with the new amount.

Everything included is:
Chrosziel 411-50 4x4 Matte Box housing
Chrosziel 402-26 French Flag (foldable)
Two Side flags
Chrosziel S1001-85 Insert Ring (fits Canon XL1 and 2)
Chrosziel 206-01-S Follow Focus with .6 wide gear
Chrosziel 401-43 Canon XL-2 Base Plate
Two Chrosziel 402-04 4x4 Filter Holders
Tiffen 4x4 Circular Polarizer Filter with Case

Incidentally, if anyone here would like this kit, let me know. I'd rather sell to a goon than random eBayers.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

1st AD posted:

B&H has a deal on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera - $500 :aaa:

Yeah I bought one.

Looks like it's that price on Amazon now too.

Can someone tell me some advantages/disadvantages to this camera? I'm not really familiar with it. I shoot on a T2i right now. Would this be a good replacement or no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

1st AD posted:

It's not a good replacement for a DSLR.

It's a niche camera for people who want to shoot raw video in a tiny form factor. It has advantages like a 13 stop dynamic range and cheap batteries, but if you're not working in Resolve the IQ is overkill and the drawbacks of the form factor are going to drive you nuts.

Gotcha! Thanks for the response! Would love to play around with it sometime.