Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Walnut Crunch posted:

So the d300s is out and it is 720p at 24fps. Who wants to bet that the next full frame nikon is 1080p at 24fps with full manual controls and will absolutely gut the Canon prosumer line of video cameras?

Nikon is the only maker without a prosumer video line to protect. I'm betting big things will come out of nikon before anyone else.

I really hate the camera with a video-feature thing. CMOS sensors work fantastically in still cameras, just keep them the gently caress away from video until the shutter issues are worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Walnut Crunch posted:

A couple of years from now, we'll see.

Thanks for taking care of that, I would have came off as too much of a CCD fanboy.

The real difference between those Cine-alta Varicam Genesis cameras that Panavision and a few other companies make is the way the sensor "see's" pixels. Your consumer grade camcorders, and even your higher end HVX's and the like arrange pixels in a bayer pattern. This means in an array of light capturing pixels, there are twice as many green points as red and blue. THis means each pixel can either be RG, BG, but rarely RB at one time. In a Panavision Varicam, that Star Wars camera George Lucas used arranges pixels the proper way. R,G, and B on one pixel.

I butchered the explanation, but read this article, it's fascinating:

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/the-truth-about-2k-4k-the-future-of-pixels

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I've got a cheapo DV cam, Sony DCR-HC20. It does not accept external mics. I want to put together a short 3-5 minute action scene. What kind of budget audio solution for dialog should I look into. I found that to frame it the way I want, I have to set the camera up farther away, zoom in, and then the onboard mic is not effective. Then to sync the sound to the video, am I going to run into any problems in Premiere elements regarding the speed of the external audio and the speed of the video. I have watched some tutorials where you have to slow down the audio to sync the video. Why is this? Wouldnt both the video and audio record in the same time?

INPUTS/OUTPUTS

# External Stereo Microphone Input

This was listed in the specs. for your camera. That means you can plug any old PC microphone into your camera to record audio from a distance if you want the ultimate budget solution. You can find headphone extension cables to get more range from any electronics store.

If you wanted a higher quality solution go for an audio input box with XLR connections, that you can then plug into your camera's mic. input.

http://www.amazon.com/Beachtek-DX-A2S-Compact-Adapter-Camcorders/dp/B0007WVABY

This guy will even mount underneath your camera body where the tripod does. it has it's own mount underneath it so you can still shoot with a tripod.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just picked up a JVC GY-HM100 yesterday.

This guy.

I loved the dual SD card concept, and wish I could have afforded the HM700, but this is an huge upgrade from my GZ-HD7, which is basically it's little brother.

GZ-HD7

The HM100 is physically larger even without the mic handle attached.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

lovely iPhone picture. I removed the mic handle of the HM100, and lens hoods from both cameras

The low light performance is so much better than the HD7, it's also got up to 18dB of gain so I can really push it in the dark if I want to. I'll get some video up once it stops raining around here.

It records pretty much any HD frame rate you could want, I'm in North America and mine will record in both NTSC and PAL. I'm really loving 720/60P, being able to slow my footage down by 50% is fun.

I've got 2 8GB cards in there right now, 27 minutes per card. I can set the camera up to record multiple times in one long file, as if it were a tape, or to create a new file each time the record button is pressed. Either way, the camera switches from one card to the other when one fills up, just like P2. I've got 32GB cards on order from Amazon, that's the largest is will take.

If anybody has any questions about it just ask.

EDIT: $4299.99. Lots and lots of money, but it will see a lot of use.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 2, 2009

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tiresias posted:

That's enough for now.

Keep going, seriously. That was a good read.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you have a cheap tripod and you can't seem to get it to START a movement without an initial jerk in the direction you're moving adding a bit of weight to your camera rig can help. Obviously not so much your tripod will collapse. Just enough to create the inertia needed to overcome the cheap plastic friction happening in the tripod head.

Instead of beefing up your camera and adding accessories and things, just invest in a nice Fluid-head. If you invest in a good head, you can use it later on a monopod, slider dolly, suction-cup mount for cars, etc.

A good fluid-head is ALWAYS valuable to have.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1st AD posted:

I don't get that easy focus thing. How does it make it easier to focus when the camera is suspended above your face like that?

First quality Chinese engineering! Very affordable you best!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1st AD posted:

I want to use a Tamron 17-50 as a run and gun docu lens.

Do you have much experience with this lens? I purchased the non-VC version because of the comparison stills posted on a review site. The version with VC was much softer but that's from a full resolution still, not 1080p video. I'm wondering if I made a mistake since I rarely use it for stills and mostly for video.

Would you recommend the one with Vibration Compensation, or without it for video? Is the softness even an issue when it is a video only lens?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I built one using skateboard trucks to hold my wheels, but ended up switching from skateboard wheels to rollerblade wheels. Skate wheels are really wide and I noticed it introduced some bumps from my imperfect track. Rollerblade wheels have a much thinner edge that touches the track and it really smoothed out the motion.

The bearings are exactly the same, so if you've shelled out for nice ones you haven't wasted your money, just pop them out of the skate wheels and into rollerblade wheels.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slim Killington posted:

The mass comm department at the community college where I got my start forever ago (the department head and I are friends still) just bought a C300, it's a good camera to help transition kids from DSLR to something more resembling production work. Better than nothing at that level.

I think the shame here is that they could have bought 2 FS700's which probably have a lot more in common with Sony's high-end equipment which would help them later in their careers. Also that C300 is going to bite the dust at some point and won't be replaceable at a moment's notice, unlike that 2nd FS700 sitting in storage.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, they haven't really addressed any of the huge issues the first version has. I'd love to try one out, but it seems like such a weird product, like someone slapped a 4/3 mount on a iPad.

EDIT: That new $1000 Black Magic mini thing has me pretty interested if it can take advantage of the Metabones Speedboosters eventually. Does anybody here have any insider info about an upcoming Speedbooster 4/3 version?

EDIT2: From metabones site: The m4/3 version also reduces focal length by a 0.71x factor. So, the combined focal length multiplier of a m4/3 camera and Speed Booster is 1.4x. (2x from camera x 0.71x from Speed Booster.) The optics are optimized for the smaller sensor size.

Can someone clarify this for me? I know that my t2i is a 0.6 crop, so to figure out a 14mm full frame lens 14x1.6 = 22.5mm. Is this site saying that to figure out the focal length of a 14mm Nikon lens in a hypothetical 4/3 speedbooster + full frame lens the equation would be 14x1.4=19.6mm?

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 8, 2013

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

So the pocket cam has a removable battery but the 4K one does not?

Probably a battery life issue. That pocket cam is TINY for what it shoots, it's like a flip cam on steroids. If the battery was internal I bet you'd be plugging it in every 30 minutes, but the 2K and 4K have bigger batteries so it's not as big an issue.

That's just my guess, still seems silly not to add a removable battery to the 4K even if it were a business decision to sell more accessories.

VVV EDIT VVV: That's my point, if the larger battery is going that quickly in the bigger models, the smaller one in the Pocket cam is going to die comically fast, even with the smaller screen.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 9, 2013

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zer0spunk posted:

AND, toss the 1.7 panny pancake on there and you've got the perfect stealth camera. the type of b roll I can get away with this thing is enormous. it looks like a p&s!

I'm actually really excited to see what sort of underwater and quadcopter housing this thing spawns. Pocket Cam is almost small enough to compare it to a GoPro+Backpack.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Steadiman posted:

Just arrived in Cannes for the premiere of my movie, first sneak peek has been released:

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/seduced-and-abandoned-sneak-peek-clip-cannes-2013/

Also reviews so far have been good, here's Variety's review:

http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/cannes-film-review-seduced-and-abandoned-1200483798/

Tomorrow it's time to put on my tux again and walk the red carpet at the Palais, I'm pretty nervous. Biggest premiere I've been to so far! Can't wait :)

Congratulations on all your success. It's fun/cool to watch you go from Forum-Sage to Accomplished Filmmaker.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AccountSupervisor posted:

Landed the job at Steiner Studios as a Lighting and Grip Tech! Very excited, this is a big step for me.

Thanks EnsGDT for the book advice, that thing really helped me prep for the interviews.

If anybody here ever finds themselves working on anything shooting at Steiner, let me know!

Congrats man! One step closer to Goon world dominance.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cinema cameras that shoot their own loving depth passes? Holy poo poo that's such an awesome idea. Is it some sort of high speed LIDAR setup set up through a mirror rig? How does it shoot the same frame as the camera?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BeavisNuke posted:

Way to write off the great directors of the 70s I guess guys?

How does one rental company's preferred way to use a lens write off film history?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

powderific posted:

I definitely value the opinion of people who have experience with a variety of cameras, including stuff that's out of my reach. I'm just bummed that there isn't anything designed for shoulder use in the price ranges I can stomach--especially considering there isn't much/any engineering reason why there couldn't be. For now this is how I roll most of the time:

That doesn't hurt your neck?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Greenplastic posted:

Yup!

If you pointed those at the same spot, would that be equivalent to a 400K??? Or does it not add up like that?

It's 20k at the source and it drops off pretty quickly the farther you get from it I believe.

Or is that lux?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some free JCVD greenscreen footage to keep in your back pocket. Andrew Kramer/Freddy Wong cameo too.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/1f1fa1bf23/jcvd-s-make-my-movie-challenge

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1st AD posted:

Shooting very shallow on full frame has an advantage for the small budget filmmaker - you don't need to spend money on set dressing if it's all gonna be blurry anyways :downs:

natural light is so organic, man

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I imagine the real expense here is the lenses, but nobody's piping up about supplying them because they're embarrassed.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

powderific posted:

Aja's entry in the camera world looks pretty sweet:

http://www.aja.com/en/products/cion

4k, global shutter, clearly designed with shoulder use/single operator in mind, $9k.

god drat that is a gorgeous camera body

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

thehustler posted:

We're really liking the studio camera at the university I work at. Our infrastucture in our TV studio is all still SD Sony PowerHADs, and they really are showing their age now. The whole thing needs upgrading really, but the cost was prohibitive. But this sounds marvellous. I imagine we'd need a new switcher as well.

I didn't see but do they come with CCUs?

A "CCU" on a black magic camera is probably an ipad app

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

garney posted:

We have a few V lock batteries and a lanparte battery pinch that will hopefully be powering the camera, 2 TV logic monitors and a wireless monitor/transceiver for the director to not get in the way.

I'm excited to use it, global shutter means no more awful tracking shots hopefully!
Do you know how the BMCC takes power in? It would suck to be stuck with the internal battery when you've got all that V-lock goodness sitting off to the side because the BMCC has a weird power connector

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sophomorehoffman posted:

I've been using Nikkor lenses on my 5D body as of late, but I do have it all converted to EF mount with quite a few Canon lenses as well. Would you recommend making a move to MFT? I've not ever weighed the pros and cons of a shift like that. I've used the MetaBones speedboosters with the FS700 before though. Cool stuff.

The move to MFT is to facilitate the Speedbooster things. Since you can adapt basically any lens to MFT there isn't much of a downside other than sensor size, and that's debatable.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The A7 has extreme rolling shutter issues. Most CMOS sensors have this problem but the A7 is cartoonish in it's exaggeration. Just something to watch out for.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chomskyan posted:

Can you recommend something else within that price range?
VVV

I'd just get this thing:
http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-MK3...keywords=tripod

Looks like the same tripod you've already picked out but without the pistol grip head.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Might want to look into ND's if you're using an a7s and want to shoot at proper shutter speed.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1st AD posted:

Also I thought you only needed ND on the A7s if you shot s-log since the base ISO is so high? I assume shooting in any other gamma settings would be fine and a podcast probably doesn't need to capture more than like 8 stops of DR.

this is absolutely correct but why would you ever NOT shoot S-log?:colbert:

*~tHe RanGe~*

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1st AD posted:

:ssh: Sometimes I shoot rec.709 and ProRes LT on my Blackmagic Camera because I plan on doing little to no color work in post.

No you doooooooon't:cry:

I want an a7s real bad. Even shooting at ISO160 I've started to notice way too much grain on my t2i stills

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1st AD posted:

You must be doing something wrong because I've never noticed it on my T2i shots.

Fake edit: every camera has noise, even at the base ISO. This is why raw workflows include noise reduction.

Yeah I'm reading up on it and the t2i is capable of being practically noiseless even at ISO 400/800. There might be some sort of exposure compensation going on.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BonoMan posted:

I've had a drat Pocket Cinema Camera in my basket for like the past 2 weeks and just can't pull the trigger for fear that an update is imminent.

Is there any sort of clues/hints/leaks that are common with BMD that signify an incoming update? NAB just passed and nothing on that front other than the similar Micro... so I'm guessing if they had something they would've shown it then. And I doubt they do another $500 off sale. Should I just pull the trigger?

If you can wait until July they just released a new camera for the same price with WAY more features and a better form factor than the Pocket Cam. That thing has to tank the sales of the pocketcam when it's released and I bet they cut the price again to get rid of them.

Features:
-Global Shutter(!!!!!!!!)
-Who cares what else, global shutter!
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicmicrocinemacamera

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I half-mentioned the Micro. Awesome little camera, but it seems to be geared towards drone flights and action cam use more than everyday "normal" use with the no screen and expansion port, front facing menu buttons and all that jazz. And then you gotta wait for all the 3rd party cages and what not... which who knows how many will come out since it's been marketed as more of an action cam solution. Although the global shutter is a nice draw. Maybe I'll just grab the Video Assist that releases at the same time.

I wonder how the sensor depth is and if it'll use the same speedbooster or just the standard EF to MFT.

It's all moot anyway since I'd like to purchase in the next week for a documentary. Just doing the standard mental hurdles as I get closer to the "press buy" moment.

Hahaha you're right. I got so excited about the global shutter and better battery option I didn't even realize there's no screen on the thing. For the price RIGHT NOW I don't think you have any other choice except the Pocket Camera unless you can use a camera you already own and plug it into a Hyperdeck Shuttle 2.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm baffled that they're billing this as an action cam when a stabilized, ultrawide, lightweight micro 4/3 lens straight up does not exist. I imagine the "standard" lens they're imagining here is the panny 14mm pancake, but without a heavy speedbooster that's a 42mm equivalent. I guess you could get the 8mm fisheye but it adds 1/3 of a pound which is not going to make drone operators happy. Even then, that's what you would call a "medium shot" for a go pro. Also, again, no stabilization at all.

I am assuming a 3-axis gimbal connected with a vibration plate will take care of the need for lens stabilization, but you're still left with a narrow FOV. If you're sending it up 200+ft. that may not be as big an issue as it would be if you were shooting vehicle interiors. I've stayed away from m43, is the lens situation really that dire? I thought it was sort of the next big thing.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DNova posted:

For some reason I thought the latest GH4 firmware had a global shutter option but I can't find that again so I guess it doesn't.

The GH4 only records internally with 4:2:0 8-bit, so I thought it would be worthwhile to record externally with 4:2:2 10 bit. I am pretty new to this stuff.

edit: I'm still wide open to suggestions

Global Shutter is a physical shutter mechanism built into the camera, firmware can't add that. Very few 'affordable' cameras offer a global shutter which is why I was so excited about that new Black Magic drone camera they showed off at NAB. $999-1200 gets you 1920x1080 with 13 stops of dynamic range and a global shutter, but no built in monitor.

1st AD posted:

Except for that weird Aaton Penelope camera, I don't think any global shutter digital camera had an actual mechanical shutter. Global shutter in this context usually refers to reading out the entire sensor instead of line-skipping.
My dreams...:( Maybe you could add that with a firmware update.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 9, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slim Pickens posted:

My buddy is DPing for a feature around here, and had this happen.

http://q13fox.com/2015/07/24/fugitive-caught-on-the-set-of-a-small-budget-movie/

My buddy says they showed up to arrest the guy a couple hours after he wrapped his last scene, so no rewrites!:woop: Anyone else have this happen to them?

well I guess his next job sort of writes itself

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ButtWolf posted:

I was unaware that we already had a Canon XA10. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Probably not the best choice for "filmmaking" but the best thing you can do right now is shoot shoot shoot. Learn how to construct a scene. For that you could use your cellphones, and the Canon is certainly better than those.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BonoMan posted:

........... what am I looking at there?

Looks like a DIY viewfinder Tommy Wisseau style. No idea what the heck kind of camera that big one is though, maybe a high speed?

EDIT: Incredibly sensitive camera usually mounted to a microscope says google. Runs on 117 volts lmao jesus christ :stonk:

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Turdsdown Tom posted:

hello goonmatographers, it's me, the white college-aged male people are talking about

i just started doing camerawork for a TV show that's been produced for a while now out here in a style somewhere between The Office and Trailer Park Boys in terms of how live-action it is. i ruined a shot a few days ago because i bust out laughing at something one of the extras was doing in the background and the boom caught it. such is the life

The best moments of the trailer park boys were when the sound guys inevitably got shot in the leg during a shootout, or when Ricky would grab the boom and tell them to start helping carry poo poo. At the very least you made it onto a blooper reel?