Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1st AD posted:

The C100 doesn't pass raw video through HDMI, or anything?
??

Are they playing word games with uncompressed and raw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Have you tried something simple like cutting up a yoga mat and sitting each tripod foot under a layer or two of foam? You could tape that to the feet, so they're not discs you have to set up.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

keyframe posted:

Got my Ronin-S in the mail today. It is heavy but amazing build quality and features. I balanced a a7iii with the 24-70 on it and it worked great. Had a Crane v2 before and I prefer the ronin in pretty much every way.

Sweet! My buddy just sold me his Crane-M so he could put the money towards a Ronin-S. I just have a Canon m100 and a few GoPros so it's overkill for me but his A6500+lens was just a bit too much. Super happy with it so far even though it's a budget solution.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Old callback here, but I've found that the use of a set of Celestron vibration supression pads (https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-93503-Vibration-Suppression-Pads/dp/B0000665V7) and the detailed analysis options on warp stabilizer has made a pretty big difference for my vibration issues. Rolling shutter is still a problem, but I can't afford a global shutter camera so I'll just have to live with it.

On an unrelated note, does anyone have any opinions about how to get better color out of the GH5 at night? It seems like no matter what I do my shots end up with an ugly orange cast to them, and I don't seem to be good enough at color correction (or 150 mbps 4K60p doesn't leave enough room to push it) to get the colors looking natural.

I'm generally shooting at ISO 1600, which is pretty much the limit with the GH5 without unacceptable levels of noise, and I know that hurts dynamic range and color accuracy as well. I have one LED light panel, and I've ordered a second, but it's difficult to light a subject as big as a train with small portable lights so I am generally reliant on ambient street and security lighting which is usually very orange. I've tried compensating by pushing white balance way down but it still comes out more orange/yellow than the lighting appears in person. Maybe this is a question for the editing topic, but I thought maybe there would be a better way to get accurate color balance in-camera that I'm not familiar with.

This isn't GH5 specific but you could start carrying a neutral grey card around and shoot that for a few seconds before shooting your subject. This should give you the ability to correct perfectly no matter what your conditions were. Not just any grey, there is a specific type of card you want, they will probably have a few color boxes on them as well. Photography/video stores should have them.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did you just use the handheld camera sled part? FS700's are huge for that sort of thing, you're absolutely going to need a vest+arm THEN a glidecam to move it around fluidly.

I wouldn't use a handheld Glidecam 2000/4000 on anything larger than a DSLR with a short prime even if the weight limit will technically fit. With the vest+arm and the atmos on the bottom helping with the counterweight it should be a very workable setup

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Both Vistek and Henrys do camera package rentals I'm pretty sure, you could start by calling them. The downtown Henrys isnt like a small town one, they're not loving around and you can get actual "pro" gear at the Queen/Church location.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Anveo posted:

Are there any go-to budget stabilizers for DSLR’s around 3.5 lbs (Canon 6D + 16-35mm)? I run a small event company and I’m just looking to get some footage of DJs and people dancing for social media purposes after some quick cleanup and editing in Premiere. Wondering if for my needs I’m better off just getting a cheap handheld and using a Pixel 3 or picking up a GoPro instead?

you're going to need one of those Weebill gimbals for that weight, they're like $450 for the base version, for $600 you get a ton of accessories like a little wireless follow focus, if you want to use some older manual lenses you're still good to go with this setup:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1444745-REG/zhiyun_tech_weebill_lab_cp_weebill_lab_creator_package.html
And its a real follow focus that physically contacts the lens rings, not one that taps into your auto focus motors or whatever. As soon as you move down to a gopro size camera you can buy a gimbal from Best Buy nowadays for $99, but they're specifically designed to hold a gopro Hero style camera and nothing more

EDIT: oh yeah DJI just announced their new Ronin SC which is in the same price range as the Weebill

https://store.dji.com/product/ronin-s?vid=49721
it has a focus wheel too, but I think its just a wheel that controls your electronic lenses, no physical gear that touches the lens
https://store.dji.com/product/ronin-s-focus-wheel

I'd definitely go with the Weebill due to the strange/more convenient to operate form factor and the physical wireless follow focus. Seems like a pretty badass little package for the price. I own a Zhiyun Crane-M which is a few models older and only really carries little mirrorless cams but it's very impressive. Super easy to set up and dial in

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 19, 2019

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faEXjulgujk

Another Jinni.Tech video has hit the tower. This time he delves into the myth that Red employs people in house to design their sensors.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
VoodooXT and everybody else, what's the consensus on ZCam? I really like the form factor of the E2. ~120fps 10 bit 4:2:2 4k, $2000. Sounds too good to be true.

EDIT: and m4/3 is actually a benefit in my case because I want to use it for macro videography with a deeper depth of field

Also here: have some old episodes of Movie Magic, this guy uploads them to his youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZJITfQRYHI

playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZJITfQRYHI

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 23, 2019

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've been building a macro video setup and it's finally producing semi decent results:

https://i.imgur.com/6lGu3PJ.mp4
This is my destroyed phone screen

Right now it's just an elaborate time lapse rig, but the end goal is to have a real-time video robot for product videography

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alan Smithee posted:

what lens you using?

Canon 60mm 2.8 macro with a 21mm extension tube and a closeup filter. I really want to try Laowa's macro lenses, the 5x 25mm or 2x 100mm both look really nice

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alan Smithee posted:

I got the laowa in PL mount

I don’t have a PL mount camera :negative:

drat, do you have that snorkel one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN