Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
My baby cousin just started film school, and I'd like to get her a digital camera to use for the shorts she makes outside of class. Do you guys have any recommendations for a decent camera with manual controls? I don't have any particular budget concerns, but I figure something like a RED camera is overkill for an eighteen-year-old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

SquareDog posted:

The Panasonic HPX 170 is an excellent all purpose low budget camera. It'll be about $7000 including accessories and a decent tripod. It has an great optical zoom lens and a whole myriad of manual controls and setting. The best thing about it is that it doesn't use tape at all, it records to solid state media called P2 cards. You just import it directly into your editing program. It has two slots for P2 cards and you can buy whatever size of cards you want 8 GB is the smallest I believe, on two 16GB card with the right settings you can record 80 minutes of footage without having to unload either card. For someone who is just starting, it has a steep learning curve but she's got to learn sometime and the sooner the better.

That sounds fantastic, thanks. I'll probably get her some P2 cards too - anything I should be aware of when buying them?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

SquareDog posted:

One more thing to consider is storage. Professionals never store their footage and projects on their main hard drive, they use external drives only. It makes it easier to manage and transport. Just try to buy quality hard drives like Lacie, they are proven to fail the least out of any brand of hard drive.

She's got a pretty slick editing setup already, so I'm pretty sure she's all covered for storage. It's just that she'd been using her boyfriend's camera to actually shoot stuff with and, well, there's been some drama. But nothing fixes that like presents!

Thanks again for all your help!

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
She goes to one of the major schools so they have lots of equipment available (not sure what freshies can check out though), but I know how difficult it is to pull together shoots in school and how important building a non-homework portfolio is, so anything I can do to make that easier is worth it. She's serious about what she does - I know it wouldn't just sit in a corner gathering dust while she went to frat parties. And one of our older cousins made a similar investment in me back in the day, and it was a huge contributing factor to my now awesome career. Someday she will buy the next generation of cousins a hologram camera or some kind of flying car and the tradition will continue.