Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isosceles Kramer
Sep 1, 2007
Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?
Hello

I'm looking for resources that analyze movies/scenes/whatever, sort of like this blog here:

http://www.cineobscure.com/visual-language-tombstones-ok-corral/

Share 'em if ya got 'em

edit: might as well put this here. http://www.cineobscure.com/category/the-art-of-filmmaking/visual-language/
Lots of good stuff

Isosceles Kramer fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isosceles Kramer
Sep 1, 2007
Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

DividedFrame posted:

Hey goons, I've been considering buying a DSLR that shoots HD video, and I was hoping some of you had some insight as to what's good or bad about the Canon 5D MKII, 7D, etc. I'm leaning towards Canon because I already have a few EF lenses.

My main goal here is to get a really crisp image with a shallow DOF. My Sony HDR-HC1 gets the job done, but its DOF really leaves me wanting more, and 35mm adapters seem like more work and more money than just getting an SLR.

disclaimer
Had pretty much no experience with photography and cameras prior to the following, so take my info as such, and i apologise if i insult your intelligence.

I bought a 5D mkII back in april, along with a Zeiss ZF 50mm 1.4. Then later a Zeiss 28mm 2.8 with Contax mount, and a 135mm 2.8, also Zeiss Contax mount. Those two lenses are older models which don't fit with the ef mount, so i have to use a adapter. Older and cheaper lenses, sure, but still Zeiss glass.
The 50mm produces a pretty freaking crisp image, with outstanding bookeh, even at wide open. From what i understand lenses like that don't really shine until f5.6 -> , but it's pretty good wide open.
And apparantly it's the poorest of the ZF line, which the price probably reflects. It's 30-50% cheaper than the rest of 'em.

There are 3 prominent drawbacks with the 5D (or any other DSLR, i guess).

1. Slow sensor.
The sensor records the frame from top to buttom noticably slow, which reveals itself in fast movements, first and foremost pans. I can be remedied, though.

Check this out -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt0u9hsPuZY&feature=related .

I've tried the plugin, and it works pretty great. However it seems to produce some artifacts if there's alot of blur. Haven't really played with it that much.
Research "the jello effect" and "rolling shutter"

2. Moire.
Seems like moire is somewhat of an issue, too. But that's not really unique to the DSLR's. Remedied by avoiding grid-like textures like brick walls, clothing with similar texture etc, and/or slightly put the area out of focus.

3. Dynamic Range.
Again, i guess this is something that all digital cameras have a problem with, and one of the factors to the footage looking digital/home video -like, and is probably the main reason as to why film is still superior, if we ignore the high end professional movie cameras, which seem to now be on the level of film. Probably many a goon with a shitload more knowledge on these issues.
I'll stop there at the risk of a probation.

The obvious problem with limited dynamic range is, for example on a sunny day, a exterior shot which involves the sky and some foreground. Expose for the sky (to catch the detail), and the foreground is too dark. Expose for the foreground, and the sky is blown out.
A way to fix this is to use a gradient filter.
I intend to fix this by shooting on gray days. I plan to have a low saturated gray look anyways, like The Road. Filming on overclouded gray days means i can cram a lot more info into the footage, and it will look less shite. (blown out whites, crushed blacks)

This brings up another point. Cramming as much information as possible into what one could call a digital negative.
A way to do this a by tweaking on-camera properties like image contrast, sharpness and saturation way down, simply to capture as much info as possible, then do post color correction. So much info is lost with the predefined setups.

I'm planning to shoot a microbudget feature with it, and i think it'll work out nicely, as long as i work around these issues, and plan accordingly.
As the wisest of goons have already said, they are only tools, with advantages and disadvantages, and it's only a matter of working around the problems. Personally i think the advantages of these dslr's outweight the disadvantages.

If you have the money, i would go for the 5D, simply because of the full frame sensor.
The 7D, with it's 1.6x crop sensor, means that a 50mm will function as a: 50 x 1.6 = 80mm, a 28 as a 45, etc. I can be tough finding a nice wide angle for it.

Also, i think most people are overdoing it with the extremely shallow DOF. It's also just a tool, but everything in moderation for fucks sake. It looks amateurish, but from another viewpoint. Trying too hard to make cheap digital look like film is a dangerous game.

Oh, and one last thing. Because the camera is so light, hand handling it, along with the aforementioned slow sensor produces lovely jelloish shots, because of many rapid movements. Not really ideal for shooting POV running shots and stuff like that. This effect can be somewhat dampened by adding weight, and/or attaching it to shoulder mounts, poo poo like that. The difference between crap and nice often lies in the movement of the camera, perhaps more so then any other factor.

It depends on what you want to do with it, really. I dare say the optics is equally, if not more important then the camera, but what the gently caress do i know, i'm a blundering novice.

Isosceles Kramer fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 7, 2010