Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Hey video people :)

I've been tasked with researching and purchasing items for a small business video production studio. It will be used for stuff like product feature videos, tech explainers, interviews, and any other type of company video one might want to produce.

A co-worker and I have finished our research and we're left with a list of items to buy. But before buying them, I figured it would probably be smart to have people who actually know a thing or two about video production review the list to make sure we're not wasting thousands of dollars on something we don't need, or forgetting something essential. Feedback welcome!

The room itself is your typical office space; dimensions are roughly 11ft x 16ft with a 10ft ceiling. My plan was to use a room dividing curtain to section off about 5 feet of the back of the room, which is meant to function as equipment storage, help with sound muffling, and make the room smaller, requiring less sound baffling overall.

---

CAMERAS
(1) Sony Alpha a7 III, (1) Gopro Hero9

LENS
(1) TAMRON 28-75mm F2.8 Di III RXD

JIB
(1) Edelkrone JibONE Bundle #053, including Pan PRO, HeadPLUS v2, case, controller, etc.

LIGHTS
(1) Neewer 700W Softbox

MICS
(1) EW 112P G4-A, (1) Shure w/ 20ft extension cables

TRIPOD
(1) Manfrotto 290 tripod w/ fluid head

EDITING SOFTWARE
Adobe Premiere (we already have Creative Cloud)

SOUND BAFFLING
(40) SoundAssured 4-packs, (2) Foam Bass Trap 4-packs

DATA STORAGE
(1) Seagate 5TB

BACKDROP
(1) Neewer Green Background Screen

HEADPHONES
(1) Sony MDR-7506

COMPUTER
(1) HP Pavilion Computer

ROOM DIVIDER CURTAIN
(1) BGment Room Divider Curtain

---

My co-conspirator recently added the jib bundle and he's 100% convinced it's needed. It's like $3,700 and by far the most expensive thing on the budget. To me it feels a bit like a novelty, but I can't deny it produces some great, professional looking shots.

Alright, light my rear end up! What's totally unnecessary, and what's totally obvious that I forgot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Joe Bogan posted:

Are you doing everything inside this specific room? You don't need the jib or the GoPro.

The places you actually want to spend money are audio and lighting, and maybe a better DSLR long before that. You want three sources of continuous light, you definitely don't want cabled handheld mics (you don't specify which Shure which usually means a 58 but correct me if I'm wrong. Even if you're immediately incredibly skilled with your grip gear (you won't be, you will suck for a very long time) there's no point getting a beautiful shot of a poorly lit dude tripping over a mic cable. And if your audio is bad it doesn't matter what you've put on screen, you've already lost.

Thanks for the feedback!

- The idea is that most of what we shoot will be in the studio, but we want the option to go on field trips with it from time to time, if possible. Maybe take it outside for a torture test video, maybe take it to a client's factory for examples of usage in the field, etc. If that will require wildly different equipment then I guess we can probably scrap that, but if it'd be possible to configure the equipment so it's versatile enough to remove from the room and still get good footage (and maybe even audio?) then that's what we'll want to do.

- The Shure is actually a Shure MVL Lavalier Microphone. Sorry, should have been more careful about my labeling! The extension is just meant to be long enough to connect to the camera so we don't have to buy a wireless pack just to get the sound from one side of the studio to another. That felt superfluous to me but maybe that instinct was wrong!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just wanted to pop in real quick to say thanks to Joe Bogan and Tanglewood1420 for the feedback! We've made some changes to our budget based on your suggestions :) I'd love to come back in here and post our first video once we're finally up and running! It will be a boring and soulless corporate product video but at least it'll LOOK like a million bucks