Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I hope this is the right thread to ask about lighting. If not, apologies for misposting, and thanks to anyone who can direct me to the right place.

Since lockdown, my wife and I appear to be getting more into music video filming and production, for the local Irish dance troupe. It's turned into a fun hobby for us, and a productive way for me to continue using all my DJ equipment rather than trying to hire myself out as "DJ 50-years-old-but-still-relevant-I-promise".

Immediately we're looking to recreate the lighting in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=907JdLh_WPM at 2:00. It looks to me like we could use three or five 12-light RGBW LED PARs, similar to Chauvet SlimPAR Quad 12 IRC. There'd be light at 45-degree angles to the dancers, set in the warm end of white, and then a fifth behind them set at the cool end of white.

What I'm wondering is, for a space about this size, how bright are we going to need to get? Would that Chauvet light be enough?

Thanks!

e: realized we can't use soft lighting, removed mention of it.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

I hope this is the right thread to ask about lighting. If not, apologies for misposting, and thanks to anyone who can direct me to the right place.

Since lockdown, my wife and I appear to be getting more into music video filming and production, for the local Irish dance troupe. It's turned into a fun hobby for us, and a productive way for me to continue using all my DJ equipment rather than trying to hire myself out as "DJ 50-years-old-but-still-relevant-I-promise".

Immediately we're looking to recreate the lighting in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=907JdLh_WPM at 2:00. It looks to me like we could use three or five 12-light RGBW LED PARs, similar to Chauvet SlimPAR Quad 12 IRC. There'd be light at 45-degree angles to the dancers, set in the warm end of white, and then a fifth behind them set at the cool end of white.

What I'm wondering is, for a space about this size, how bright are we going to need to get? Would that Chauvet light be enough?

Thanks!

e: realized we can't use soft lighting, removed mention of it.

I'm going to reply to my own post here, in case someone else comes looking.

Get clamp lights from the hardware store. They're (2022) about $10 each, you can swap out any bulb you like. We used some 150W-equivalent daylight colored LED bulbs, and then bought some cheap "color gels" from Amazon. We're using 9 clamp lights in this space, so about $120 worth of stuff, which is cheaper than anything I was looking at previously. They nest in each other so they pack well, you can clamp them to almost anything, they're nice and bright, and you can even put aluminum foil around them to act like cheap shutters.

At some point I'll be like "I like the clamp lights but I really wish they would ______" and then I'll know what to look for in a more expensive light. But I don't know what that is yet, so I'm happy with my clamp lights.