Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Also understand as a camera PA is to get the loving coffee when you are asked to. You think the 1st and 2nd have anytime off to get it?

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
If you are subbing as a 2nd then get introduced to your batteries and chargers. If they are bauers read up on what the LCD readouts mean. Always be charging.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Do you guys in LA find a heavy resistance to shooting ARRIRAW on the alexa? Up here in Toronto there seems to be an irrational fear of posting ARRIRAW I just don't understand.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
doesn't matter anyway because you are all shitheads and terrible hacks and should all you kill yourselves etc etc.

Real men shoot on VHS.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
don't you understand, the blurry rack focus is the style now. It's the bokeh that makes the image!!! not the thing that's in focus!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Been 3D matching Illumina lenses all today. They are very pretty, horribly soft and flare easily, but very pretty looking. I guess they really are modern lomos.

One thing that sucks though the lens barrel moves as they focus.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Seriously gently caress redrock. If anyone suggests any Redrock accessories to you, slap them. I was focus pulling on a feature with 5Ds on Redrock rigs and it was embarrassing how Fischer Price flimsy they are. The case for my iphone is made of more robust plastic.

In other news I've impulse bought a tilta follow focus, price was right and gently caress it, it can't be worse then the redrock.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Not a walter klassen vest, Scrub tier

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
I am going to tell Walter about your sacrilege and he'll punch you with his jesus robo arm.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

Tiresias posted:

Meh, yet another vest inventor who isn't thrilled to my reaction to their vests. First Fawcett, now Klassen. Who's left?

You must have had an improperly sized vest, I did some easy rig stuff with one of the vests with a 3D camera while testing it and the way it diverted the load off the shoulder straps right onto the hip bone was amazing. The 75 pounds of dual alexa's and beamsplitter, not so much.

Also walter's spring for his easyrig can be wound up for 150 pounds I think, which I dunno what monster of a human being could handle that.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
I also just found this old picture of myself with my original helmet camera. I imagine this is the only place on the forums that can appreciate its insanity.

Not pictured was the 6mm century, LMB-5 with 3 stages and preston MDR and motor system they ended up strapping to it. The fact the operator wasn't decapitated on set amazes me.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Don't do purple. Unless it's inside a cheap strip joint of something it never renders well against anything.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
The guy sounds like a pussy. I've been on a shoot just like that and after we found out they didn't actually have any health insurance for the crew we stayed at the hotel until they fired us. But I'm not going to go on tumblr and snitch like a bastard.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

SquareDog posted:

blah blah blah terrible taste in cameras

Sorry you have terrible taste in cameras. The Aaton is a specialty camera, not a TV/low budget workhorse. They are not made for mass production. I am sure they will sell fine for aaton.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

1st AD posted:

What's a good BMC portable power supply that can give me something like 8 hours of shooting time (I'm obviously not shooting that much, but would like to not have to be tethered to an outlet at all)? I'm gonna use one in a couple of weeks for some behind the scenes work for a few days.

Don't be a pussy.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/880952-REG/anton_bauer_abp_vclx_560_cine_vclx_battery.html

(one of these will run it for days)

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
I can't see anything there that couldn't already be done with a gyro system. Cheaper rental, no second operator. It's a gimmick.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Pocket seems fun. Basically the digi bolex at a 3rd of the price but with terrible black magic build quality and unreliability.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

BeavisNuke posted:

What do you think about a cheap chinese steadicam like this as opposed to a blackbird stabilizer or merlin? They actually get pretty good reviews.

http://stephendiaz.com/post/38334498045/ordered-one-of-these-wieldy-steadicam-vests-from#.UWlNur_N78s

Only reason I could imagine to buy this is for a wicked Aliens Marine smartgun halloween costume.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

TheBigBad posted:

Again, Steadicam only. Hua.

Ever been mistaken for a glidecam op?

No, have you?

*high fives*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Sometimes I like to cruise reduser to enjoy schadenfreude of horribly wrong opinions but then I can just come here for it.