Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Slim Pickens posted:

This thread is for the discussion of film and video, be it film making, hardware, or general knowledge. Or why a 32 gig card for an HVX costs over $1400 for 80 min of footage. I mean, what the hell panasonic?

This is why I am planning on getting the XH-A1 when I finally save up enough money to buy an HDV camera. I've shot on the HVX-200 (all we had were 8gb P2 cards :() for school, but my friend has an XH-A1 and I also used it to shoot an event for a local cable station. That and I'm partial to Canon (the XH has an L series lens :D).

What does everybody use for post-production? I'm a final cut pro 6 man myself, though I have dabbled in Avid and Premeire Pro. I have very little experience in After Effects, though I am taking two post-production classes next semester.

*edit* Slim, if you have the money you can try to get a 35mm adapter for the XH-A1 (something like the Red Rock) or make one yourself. Find some cheap, manual focus wide lenses and stick one of those on. Of course...there are probably cheaper alternatives but this is one way to do it.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

The Affair posted:

I'm all about that 5DMk2, just waiting for some more features to be resolved. 24P (and 25 for our PAL friends) and the ability to record to an external harddrive or laptop would about seal the deal.

Rolling shutter solution would be nice too.

Come to think of it, has ANY camera company made progress on getting around that?

It would be amazing if they released a firmware update to allow the 5D MKII to shoot in 24P (well 23.98 :p). I know the XH-A1 has an L series lens. But imagine throwing a 50mm 1.2 on a FF camera that could shoot 1080 24P, the bokeh would be goddamn amazing. Of course..shooting at 1.2 could cause some issues if your focus point was off the slightest bit.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Reichstag posted:

Yeah, the Red produces some amazing goddamn stuff.

Question: My friends and I are thinking of shooting a short film this summer (if we ever finish writing it), is it feasible to do it on next to no budget with only the following equipment available?
-Sony VX2100
-2 wireless mics and one auxiliary (could handmake a boom for it I'm sure)
-Laptop (not to imply processing power is an issue) with Vegas 7

Yeah, it is. The only thing you might need is an XLR Adapter (I am not sure of the technical term) to screw on to the bottom of the VX and allow you to use XLR mics. Of course, that hinges on whether or not your mics are XLR based. Unless of course, your mics are mini-plug based.

I'm not sure of the exact model you'll need as I haven't used a VX2000 since my freshman year.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Rogetz posted:

Thanks to my friend/producer who works at the local access TV station we now have access to a small but complete lighting kit (mini spotlight, two fills and a couple of large bounce boards) AND we may get to use this project to test out the new HD camera(s) that they have coming in next week. Things are falling amazingly in to place.

Aside from speeding up and slowing down footage, does anyone have any good examples of Directors/DPs playing around with framerates? I'm planning on shooting in 24p but I think the new cameras that the station is getting have the option of going higher or lower than that and I was thinking it might be fun to experiment during the car stunt.

Also, Cinematography.com has a list of 40 or so recommended books found here: http://astore.amazon.com/cinematographyco?node=1&page=3
Anyone read any of these that can comment? Might be good to have a reading list in the OP. I have two of them so far:
The Five C's of Cinematography by Joseph V. Mascelli - Extremely comprehensive look at the classic Hollywood style of cinematography and blocking. It's pretty dry and reads a bit like a technical manual because, in a way, it is one. Great especially for newbies.
Film Lighting by Kris Malkiewicz - An indispensable book with not only descriptions of each type of lighting set-up, how they work, and why, but it's also loaded with interviews from people working in the field.

I'm also picking up Digital Cinematography, The Filmmaker's Handbook, and Master Shots. They should be shipping today or tomorrow.

And finally a slight derail, anyone know of any must have books that deal with directing?

Not to toot my own horn here, but 24P looks pretty drat cool slowed down. However, the general rule is to "overcrank" when you want to slow down. That is on a film camera, shoot at a higher framerate so that when you play it back at the normal framerate, its all slow (if I am incorrect here, a film goon correct me please)

The issue with changing the framerate, say going from 24P to 30P, means that you lose that "film look" and I can tell you from experience that cutting with footage from both "video look" and "film look" is a massive pain in the rear end.

As far as slowing down 24P goes, I have an example to show you from one of my student projects. We shot on the HVX-200 at 720P 24PN. I forget exactly how much I slowed it down, but it shows the effect quite well.

http://vimeo.com/2570833 <---starts around 2:44 and doesn't last too long but I think it gets the idea across.

Another pretty nifty editing effect is putting a crossfade between a normal clip and a sped up/slowed down clip. Creates some ghosting effects which, while a bit campy, can be used in certain situations.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Carefree Koala posted:

Don't confuse the frame rate you are shooting at with the frame rate you are playing back at. The 24p "film look" versus the 30p "video look" is only associated with the playback speed. And since most of your shots will be at normal speed, that means your shooting frame rate will match your playback frame rate most of the time.

A shot filmed at 48fps and played back at 24 will be the same length and have the same apparent slow motion as a 60fps shot played back at 30. The only difference will be that hard to quantify "film vs video look."

In fact, with some experimentation with your editor, you can film shoot in 30p and then change it in post (if your project is going to be at 24p at the end of the day) which will give you a smoother slow motion effect than just shooting 24p and using frame bending or other post effects to slow the shot down. Although, as long as you aren't getting ridiculous, Final Cut and Vegas can do a pretty decent job slowing down footage shot at normal 1:1 speed as pr0digal said.

Ahh thank you. You did a better job of explaining that than I did (well, you just went much more indepth.)

I want to be an editor/work in post-production when I get out of college so I need all the tips I can get

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

http://vimeo.com/4378163?pg=embed&sec= speaking of the 5dmkII, here's one of the nicer pieces of video I've seen shot on it yet

What did you use for the mic? One of the gripes I have heard about the 5DmkII is the onboard mic isn't the greatest in the world. Also, what lens were you shooting with?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
^^one of the things that I think should be stressed with 5D MKII shooting is: you need a tripod, hands down. If you want to do any sort of shooting with the 5D MKII (or really any camera) you really need a tripod.

I know that it's documentary style but it got a little jarring by the end with all the quick cuts and focus pulls.

If I had the chance, would I buy a MKII? Certainly. But the video capabilities would be secondary to me as I also do photography. For purposes of video, I would go with an XH-A1 over a 5D MKII. Because the XH-A1 is devoted to capturing 1080P while in the MKII its just a side feature.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
We never had light kits in high school =/ which kind of sucks because that is where I am lacking. At college we start out with Omni kits in intro and in Intermediate we use Arri 650 kits.

I really need to take a lighting class

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Well this thread has gone far over my level of expertise, but i'll stick around to see what I can learn. I can offer up help on the DVX-100A 24P, the HVX-200 and limited on the VX2000. As far as editing goes, I've been working with Final Cut Pro for about 4-5 years now. I'm only an upcoming junior in college, but I'd be happy to answer any questions.

*edit* and the Bolex Rex I guess, haven't used the thing for a while.

Also, as far as the whole HDV vs DVCPRO HD thing goes. I've shot on both P2 cards (on the HVX-200) and tape based HD (on the XH-A1) and I think that for as far as me and my fellow classmates are concerned (that is: college students without a whole ton of money) that HDV is the way to go for us buying personal cameras to do personal work on. P2 cards are not cheap, especially for a college student like myself. While yes, the time spent in capturing HDV is a massive pain in the rear end, it will save me some money and produce comparable results. Obviously, I can't speak for high end productions, but if given the chance I would probably buy an XH-A1.

However, if this was a perfect world I would go for a RED camera :D

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 29, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I really should get a demo reel together, all my work is floating around in various places around the net. Bringing it all together is probably a good idea. I also have a video related internship...kinda. I make instructional videos for a software company. So it is editing, just a different kind of editing.