Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Unfortunately, I'm not working on anything at the moment. At least, nothing that isn't very, very early pre-production or post-production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

pr0digal posted:

What does everybody use for post-production? I'm a final cut pro 6 man myself, though I have dabbled in Avid and Premeire Pro. I have very little experience in After Effects, though I am taking two post-production classes next semester.

*edit* Slim, if you have the money you can try to get a 35mm adapter for the XH-A1 (something like the Red Rock) or make one yourself. Find some cheap, manual focus wide lenses and stick one of those on. Of course...there are probably cheaper alternatives but this is one way to do it.

Currently using Final Cut Studio 2 myself. I wanted to learn Avid last semester, but I got called in for an emergency four-days-before-the-student-film-festival edit (almost from scratch), so I didn't have time to learn it.

Oh, and a DOF adapter is money well spent. Our films were shot on an HVX-100 (b, I think), and the M2 adapter works wonders.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

For Canadian camera goons (ok, SW Ontario...)

A friend of mine got into a two-week assistant camera training workshop at Sheridan college for the fall. If anyone's interested, I can talk to him and get the info. I'd join him, but I have no money, and I'm *this* close to finishing up my BA anyway.

He's excited because after this, he gets IATSE certification.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I finally thought to post this here for critiquing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfby0AsBIfU

It's a lighting assignment I did about a half-year ago. It was my first real attempt at lighting design (other than a still-picture assignment earlier in the semester).

We did this in a small crew of about five people (though one girl was almost never present or did anything, and another guy was just really an extra hand to help out). The directing and cinematography was actually spread out over the three of us and was pre-planned before we even started shooting, but I did the vast majority of lighting, and I was the editor for this.

This was shot with a Panasonic HVX-200 (forget if it's a 200A or not) with a Redrock M2 added to it at 720p.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

This isn't a cinematography question, per se, but I was looking to submit some demo reels lately, and I've noticed that a lot of people are using vimeo over youtube for their submissions. Is there any reason why? I'm thinking of getting a new account using my real name instead of my username (is this misguided professionalism?).

edit: VVVVV

I said "instead of Youtube." Unless I'm mistaken, Youtube sends links, too.

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

bassguitarhero posted:

I think we can all agree that the most important thing is practice. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on paintings, as it was only recently that painters started to understand perspective.

I never used to pay much attention to paintings and stuff like that. I then started learning film and cinematography. I also ended up taking a post-Enlightenment culture class (where we learn about history from the mid-1700s onward and then learn about the art therein) in my last year of university, and it wasn't until after I started learning how image works that I started appreciating the crafting of a painting. I mean, I still don't quite get it, but now I get composition and lighting and things like that.

It's still a different ballgame and all, but any extra influence can help.