Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I've got a cheapo DV cam, Sony DCR-HC20. It does not accept external mics. I want to put together a short 3-5 minute action scene. What kind of budget audio solution for dialog should I look into. I found that to frame it the way I want, I have to set the camera up farther away, zoom in, and then the onboard mic is not effective. Then to sync the sound to the video, am I going to run into any problems in Premiere elements regarding the speed of the external audio and the speed of the video. I have watched some tutorials where you have to slow down the audio to sync the video. Why is this? Wouldnt both the video and audio record in the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
my bad guys, i spent forever on the camera looking for the mic jack, turns out my camera is the dcr-hc21! doh! looks like ill have to be on the lookout for another camera if i want some quality sound.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Bread Klimt posted:

Or you can just record audio to an audio recorder and sync it in post.

I guess that brings me back to my original question. What is a good budget audio recorder for portable use? And then, what sort of problems can I expect to run into when using Adobe Premiere Elements when syncing the audio in post?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
can you guys talk about what the director and cinematographer relationship/interaction is like? do you guys ever shoot stills for lighting tests?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Can you guys talk about a particularly inspiring scene you recently saw from a cinematographers standpoint. Speaking to how do you apply composition and lighting to tell a story. I've been studying still photography for the past year and want to learn more about the motion side of things. This thread is great by the way!

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I saw this http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6823505/ as an extreme case of DSLR film making argument. I'm not sure how this actually unfolds in the real world, but I got a chuckle from it anyway.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

butterypancakes posted:

Go buy a used HV20.

Is there a recommendation for a tapeless version of something like the HV20? HD with manual exposure and mic input?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

SquareDog posted:

It's an Element Technica 3D beam splitter rig. However the guys who are testing it out are going to use it for HDR, combining two identically framed images with different exposures.

The downside is that it takes three guys to move it.

Good times!

Are the two exposures put together in real time or are the streams captured and then blended later? Do you know what kind of software they are using to do this with or how many stops of light difference are they recording?