Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

my bad guys, i spent forever on the camera looking for the mic jack, turns out my camera is the dcr-hc21! doh! looks like ill have to be on the lookout for another camera if i want some quality sound.

Or you can just record audio to an audio recorder and sync it in post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

CoolZidane posted:

What would you recommend for someone just starting out working with cameras? I want to learn more about cinematography, but I don't know where to begin.

Look at lots of paintings and fine art photography. Learn lots of principles of design, composition, shapes, color theory, etc.

Then, buy a film SLR and light meter, and learn about what different focal lengths, f-stops and shutter speeds look like. Learn the zone system. Take lots of photos and play with composition.

Then, buy some lights (clip lights, china balls, and tungsten balanced worklights) and light scenes and take some photos. Learn three-point lighting. Get one of those packs of gels that come with different levels of ND, diffusion, and different colors and a roll of blackwrap. See how you can shape light, eliminate double-shadows, and create depth. See what happens when a light is moved closer or farther away, or a foot up or down.

Then, look at as many photos in galleries and magazines as you can and try to figure out how they were lit. An easy tip is to look in the refections in peoples eyes. Sunglasses make it really easy. Also, try to guess what the focal length of the lens was and how far away from the subject the camera was.

After you have done all that, then you can begin to think about using a video camera.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

There's like one good piece of advice in all this. Learn about composition and lighting, agreed. There are things that are common between photography and videography, but then there are things that are solely in the realm of videography (audio and camera movement, for instance).

Don't buy a film SLR if you want to do videography.
Don't spend lots of time practicing photography if you want to do videography.
Don't buy a light meter unless you think you'll actually be shooting on film (you won't).

Just buy/borrow a cheap video camera and shoot. Use a tripod. Set everything to manual and try different exposures. Practice pulling focus.

He didn't say videography, he said cinematography. That's shooting a movie, not someone's wedding. And the best way to learn how to be a good DP is to first work with a single frame, and when you have perfected you skills there, move on to the real thing.

And how on earth can you tell anyone interested in cinematography not to use a light meter? Even on video, it's essential to get your mind used to thinking in lighting ratios. I don't know a single DP out there that doesn't constantly have his light meter out, yes, even for video.