Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I’ve been meaning to fool around with recording video with my DSLR, nothing particular in mind beyond maybe some nature stuff out in the woods as of now. What’s the best software for editing video these days? I’ve got Windows and Linux available, and free or inexpensive would obviously be ideal.

I’m sure this has come up elsewhere in the thread but it’s long and I’m just working through the more recent postings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

As someone with essentially zero video editing experience (I have done some basic trimming of GoPro videos but that's it), what tool should I use to replace the soundtrack of a movie with mp3s, "Dark Side of the Rainbow" style? I'd like to be able to slightly fiddle with when/where tracks begin and end instead of just doing "album starts when movie starts and plays straight through", possibly including cutting out scenes within the movie, but nothing more complex. I have access to Linux and Windows computers.

Edit: Apparently I posted in here a few years back asking about video editing and the answer was Resolve, which it turns out I still have installed, so I'll give that a shot

Edit 2: If I'm dragging audio clips around in Resolve, and I accidentally make one overlap another, the bottom clip gets truncated. Is there a way to make it *not* do that? It's a little challenging to line up clips closely without overwriting one.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 16, 2021

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

d0grent posted:

It won't get pulled it'll just be demonetized/monetized for the rights holder.

That's what I thought happened but I uploaded (unlisted) the soundtrack-replacement project I mentioned earlier and it got immediately copyright-detected and couldn't be viewed by anyone else.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

d0grent posted:

The copyright holder does have the option to suppress the video yeah. But by and large most copyright holders will opt for the chance to make money off someone else's video. Sucks when you get delisted :/

Yeah, I never had any desire to make money off the video, and I'd be happy for the artist to get some ad revenue since I'm a big fan, but someone in the chain decided to be a dick. I thought about uploading it to vimeo instead but their docs make it sound like they do a similar copyright scanning process. Ended up just dropping it in Protonmail's Drive thing and sending the download link to friends.