Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I've mostly just done student projects so far, but just got a gig to film some interviews for a professional documentary project. This means I need to rent a camera.I was looking at renting a Canon XHA1 its within the budget and the reviews seem to make it look easy with the picture quality I want.

My main concern is that I won't get a chance to use the camera before I rent it, I may get a night to mess around with it at most. the manuals on line so I can have a good read through that before but does anyone who used it know how easy it would be for me to pick up it up just from that. Ive used an assortment of MiniDv cameras, but the only real professionalish camera I have used for a decent length of time is the Sony PDX10.

Also I want be the one editing this. The interview need to be done before the main production starts as it could take a while and the people being interviewed are very old. This means I don't really have a good idea of what format and frame rate the rest of the footage will be shot in. Is there anything i can do at this stage to help this from becoming a problem down the line?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

butterypancakes posted:

stuff.

cheers for that.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Andraste posted:

Also, if you watch movies that were made for 3d in 2d it's glaringly obvious which scenes were meant to be seen in 3d, and without the effect they are just boring shots without much going on; their whole point is to get you excited and "ohmygosh i feel like I'm falling" or something else as similarly stupid.

As Reichstag said the best thing 3d can be used for is immersion. I'm sure the'll always be the "woow the knifes coming right at me" in 3d films, but i'm also sure that if it does become more mainstream and good directors start using it more then it will mostly just be used for the immersion factor (also for tripping out stoners.) I think 3d used properly really does give filmmakers a lot more tools they can uses to tell their stories, sure some of them are gimmicky and proabably best not used most of the time, but others could be really useful.