Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

jubjub64 posted:

I made this about a week ago in preparation for the BMPC4k. I plan on adding some cable reinforcement and I want add something to mount it on the camera or cage like a coldshoe or maybe a 1/4 mount. I'm also looking for design ideas if you have any. I plan on posting this on thingiverse so anybody can download and print it. Let me know if you have any ideas, thanks!

Nice! Can I ask what lenses you'll be using on your BMPCC4K? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one later in December mainly for short form doco making / talking heads type stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Gunjin posted:

Still waiting on the camera to actually arrive, but we picked up the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/2.8 and Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 for ours. Once the drat thing actually ships I'll post my impressions. I'll mostly be using it as a B camera on interviews, or when we need something quicker and more informal than setting up a couple of Ursa Mini Pros.

Just pulled the trigger on the pre-order, thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to hearing what you think.

The image quality I've seen from most YouTube reviews has been absolutely gorgeous so now I'm looking into decent power supplies, cages and SSDs for when it eventually arrives.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Hbomberguy posted:

has anyone in the UK who preordered the 4k from CVP got an update yet?

Not yet. I called them up 2 weeks ago and they said they had no idea on when the next shipment was coming from Blackmagic which was irritating. They also said they had about 600+ preorders outstanding so this might move a bit of a wait.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Well, heads up to UK goons waiting on their preorder BMPCC4Ks.... absolutely no news.

Called up CVP, still a backlog of about 600+ cameras, first come, first served basis, said they had no news from BM Design about their next shipments and it's anyone's guess when they'll be in stock. Massively irritating.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Mister Speaker posted:

This is more of an editing question but I can't think of a better place to ask it than here:

I want to put together a stinger, or bumper, for my YouTube videos (mostly planned DJ mixes, but hopefully some other content like tutorials or live videos in the future). I have a still image I've been using, you can see it here - I think it comes from the dorsal SONAR on a submarine - but I want to animate it. I like 'glitchy' effects, and also stuff that appears audio-reactive, like when the image zooms to appear to 'bump' to a big kickdrum, or shake radially to a sustained bass swell. So, what software (and plugins?) should I be working in? I have Premiere and After Effects, and I only know a little bit about the former, nothing about the latter. I know the 'glitchy' stuff and other effects described above are relatively simple things to pull off but haven't any idea where to start. Are there some tutorials that would help me to this end? And also, an important consideration...

The source image files I have for what I'm looking at are... not high-res. If I recall correctly, in order to get that still in 720p I had to blow the image up and apply a couple of blur effects to it, which still look fine because of the content. I'm planning on shooting and possibly cutting these upcoming videos in 4K - although maybe not, they're just DJ mixes after all and the few I've already posted in other locations look fine in 1080p. Given that I'm looking to 'glitch things up' I don't think it's a huge deal that the source image isn't the highest quality but I'm interested in hearing how make the distortion look like part of the aesthetic, and not just like a lazily-blown-up-and-animated image.

Whole bunch of different ways to do this. Good place to start in my opinion is Justin Odisho's tutorials in Prem and AE as well as Sonduck Films. Try things like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd1SMC5j4i0

As someone who is literally a full-time editor I do want to just quickly give you a heads up and this is ONE MANS OPINION ONLY so take it for what you will: Glitch, zoom, and uber-flashy transitions are massively overused and sometimes clean, minimal animation is best. This is, of course, your call and I don't want to come across as a dick.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Mister Speaker posted:

Can't think of a better thread for this question.

Is there any way in Adobe Premiere to automatically track an object in frame and apply a blur or mosaic to it? For example, someone's face moving around in frame... or the speedometer of a motorcycle?

Not to my knowledge in Premiere, think it's only manual keyframing. You can do this in AE or Resolve pretty easily enough though.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I think I've finally found the correct thread to ask the people in the know. I work as an AV nerd in a university so I know a little about everything which is pretty dangerous. My team is taking on a videographer at some undetermined time in the near future and I've been tasked with pre-purchasing them some equipment and my knowledge here is limited to DSLRs from a decade or more ago.

We do have some camera equipment already, some weirdo Fuji DSLR that nobody knows how to use, a Panasonic GH4 and a GH5 along with the hotshoe attachment for feeding in the lovely Sony UWP-D21 mic setup (purchased because I used an earlier RF version of this years ago, nice kit) via XLR. But now we have an actual genuine position coming up and it's coming to the end of the financial year I've been tasked with getting rid of some excess cash.

I used to do the odd media training session with one of two Sony HXR-NX5R cameras we had but are these big burly cameras still the thing or are people now producing more and more via DSLRs and funky lenses? I'd imagine these larger pro grade ones would make sense for recording lengthy videos sessions (do DSLRs still stop recording after 30 minutes or so?) but I think we'd probably be doing shorter pieces for marketing etc.

Does anyone want to play wishlist with what they'd like to see first day in a newly created position so you could hit the ground running? The lovely lady we have doing far too many creative things for us has pointed out the Blackmagic Cinema Camera as a wishlist item, we have a couple of other Blackmagic bits but are these in use by many?

Canon C100mkii / C200 / C300 MkIi, C70.
Sony FS7, FX6, FX3, FX-30
Red Komodo, Komodo-X
Blackmagic Pocket 4K, 6K, Ursa Mini G2 or wait for Pyxis / 12k / 17k new ones

Have bolded the good, albeit expensive ones.

If I had to choose two for decent run and gun filmmaking capabilities, FX6 and C70. If I wanted to go cheap and capable, FS7. Blackmagic are awesome, I love them - they have insane codecs, superb colour science, fantastic menus and come with Resolve Studio but have shite battery life and no autofocus.

As a side note, do NOT sleep on the lenses. A good lens is arguably the most important part so check out what you want to use and how much you can afford to spend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Budget is an unknown, I've been told to spend some money otherwise lose it, it's the same dumb poo poo that happens every year but say a solid £30k (I'm in the UK). I know our HR team are crazy slow so the job will go out after the deadline I need to have spent and have the kit here, so I'm attempting to put something together that isn't going to suck despite people obviously having kit preferences (like myself, a Canon guy).

As far as content goes the things we've done before and will be getting more of will be stuff like interviews with researchers, footage of various manufacturing processes and machinery we have, some occasional green screen stuff. I imagine most will be indoors, we have a small studio space but we'll be getting a lot more footage out 'in the field' in labs/research areas for digital signage content, YouTube and our own website. We produce a reasonable amount of extra teaching content and this is the stuff done in the studio which is another thing I'd like to improve by acquiring a larger space for it. But that's another argument/project.

I apologise if that's fairly vague but I appreciate the help so far and the various comments. It gives me a starting point to go do some reading.

*edit number 8 or something: Having a chat with the boss I'm going to try put together a few quotes, one base level but which would be an improvement over what we have, one 'would be nice to have these' and a stupid shoot for the moon one. :v:

£30K is a lot of money. 2x or 3x C70's then + lights + lenses + audio gear + tripods will do you well imo. C300 MkIII or FX6 if you want to go a bit above.