Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly

EnsGDT posted:

I'm NDA'd out my rear end but 1000 fps on the phantom should explain most of it :P

That's a lot even for phantom. Even if it were 1500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly

Shogunner posted:

This is the kind of answer I was seeking, thank you.

I think that using a T3i is perfectly adequate for a camera to own. Anything more expensive should be rented and not bought. You could improve your lighting technique. Increasing light would alleviate noise issues. And/or perhaps better Canon lenses. And try to shoot with a 1/50 shutter, it'll do wonders for cinematic visual quality.

DO NOT believe anyone when they say you need to buy a more expensive camera. T3i is perfectly fine to low budget stuff, don't throw away your money. If anything buy better lenses that are faster, like any of the L series f/2.8 zoom lenses.

Again if it's not cutting it for a particular job then you should just rent better cameras.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
The new BM looks like they still don't know how camera crews actually use cameras. Thanks for the 10" monitor, but isn't that a serious load on the joint? What if the monitor breaks for goes bad? How the hell am I supposed to use it if the camera is on my shoulder? And I couldn't help but laugh at their idiotic donkey configuration where they sell you the camera without a sensor and you're just supposed to slap your DSLR on it connected via HDMI. Like the previous camera this has hobbyist written all over it. I love the hipster camera operators in their promo pictures, shooting a very expensive looking commercial but apparently can't afford AC's.

On the other hand I'm all for them moving in to the NLE market with Resolve 11. I'm getting really tired of Avid and still don't want to use FCP.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly

BeavisNuke posted:

Would it really make a good stills camera though? Only 12 megapixel.

12 MP is more than what most anyone would ever use, even professionals. I still rock a T2i for personal use and almost never raise it above the lowest resolution setting (5MP).

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Film you say!?

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2hWUJKLteM

My last spec ad, for Rolo candy. Shot entirely on a Phantom Miro with a Pix 240 recorder.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Thanks, I had worked as a Phantom tech for a spell so I was quite comfortable using it. Unfortunately this one was the one without a screen on it, still needed to use a laptop to control it.

EDIT: However, it was a bitch and a half to color correct, tough to get rid of the green cast even in Resolve. Some of the shots still didn't turn out quite right.

SquareDog fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 4, 2014

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
The music is all original and she is singing about Rolo, in Italian I think. Ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly

Yeah but how many K's does it have? Yeah that's what I THOUGHT. No thanks, I'll stick to my Canon Red Epic.