Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
AT AFM a couple of years ago the DGA was allllll about 3D. It's weird to see alot of it coming to fruition now and how the experience is really something to get excited about and get to a theatre. I think we're a ways away from another you have to see it in 3d in the theatre like Avatar is but I'm sure it will come.

There was one shot that really bothered me. It was when Sam's avatar rode in on the big bird, and the bird was in the background out of focus, and they were talking about the drat bird, and the bird was moving. And my eye went to the bird for the beat and it remained out of focus.

Whats interesting is re-watching all the Jurassic Park movies in 1080p and correlating some of the running through the jungle atmospheric shots with what I just saw in Avatar. I remember JP being the big thing to see when it came out and I can see why it worked and what they did to update in a 3D environment.

and oh jebus.... student film 3D... no no no.... *whimper*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If you don't mind me asking, why were you at AFM?

I work for my state film commission. Sometimes I get to go when everyone else is busy.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

EnsGDT posted:

Livin' the dream :)

Your arm gets tired.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Does it have an external battery yet?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Stumpus posted:

I want to be a YouTube star.

Use your phone.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

So I was chatting with a friend who is way way more into cameras. He mentioned casually that there was some issue with the BMCC and the optical distance between the lens mount and the sensor. Can anyone explain this for us director types?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Yuns posted:

Not sure what your friend meant. But the BMCC uses a Canon EF mount so that people can use readily available Canon glass. I assume this is also to help pick up former 5d users. However this limits the BMCC from using glass that needs a shorter sensor to lens distance. This keeps people from using cheap micro 4/3 and other lenses which would theoretically work well given the sensor size. It is obvious that the camera could have been made with a shorter sensor to lens distance given how much the EF mount juts out of the body. So some people who wanted to use cheap smaller sensor lenses are annoyed. But for most people it will be a non issue. I assume this may have been what your friend meant.

This is exactly what he was talking about. Thank you.

1st AD posted:

All things considered, Blackmagic made a bunch of smart compromises considering they didn't have the chance to design their own sensor or lens system. Micro 4/3 has what...a dozen lenses to choose from? Compared to probably hundreds available for EF mount when you factor in 3rd party options.

And if you really wanted an inexpensive option for lenses, just get an m42 adapter and get super cheapo screwmount lenses. I got a set of 2.8 primes for $100.

I think so as well. It seems almost ideal for an auteur situation where go straight from the shoot into post without a mess or a complicated workflow. The price point seems perfect. If not for the internal battery I would be in love, but still drooling for the Sony FS700 except I probably hire a DP at that point anyway.

TheBigBad fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 19, 2012

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Tiresias posted:

I do that all the time. "Be sure to place the RED drive into a changing tent when you start copying the footage, or you'll flash the data."

Watch their eyes grow...

That's pretty cruel considering how many RED drives I've had malfunction on me.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

EnsGDT posted:

Well were you dumping them outside of a changing tent?? :rolleyes:

YOU GET A TENT? WE JUST GET A STUPID BAG WITH SLEAVES!!!

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Chitin posted:

They're using it to sell something, ask for money. A hundred bucks isn't much in the scheme of things.

Nobody's going to hire you based off of a credit for ten seconds of footage in a commercial, so "credit" doesn't really fly here.

Also, contract. Make sure you specify their licensing rights. Even if you don't charge them at all, you want to make sure they only have the right to use it as you designate and not in perpetuity in all possible markets.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

I guess I love my AMC. Not only do they radio up to the projectionist immediately, but they have yet to fail to give me a free pair of passes when I stop by after the movie to thank them for fixing it.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

My last non contract gig (at this point film school sets were running pretty well comparatively) was a film shot in a house in the mountains. They provided one soapy water filled cooler of water with some plastic cups. Were charging for granola bars- something outrageous like $5 (as a donation to the film). They would not provide lunch on what appeared to be a 14 hour shoot. We were not allowed to leave to go get food, and we were required to wait in between set-ups in a covered porch during sub freezing weather.

I told the A.D. I was leaving to go get lunch in an hour. She said 'no you won't'. I wish I were clever enough to have a priceless ending, but the choice ended up being pretty simple.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Steadiman posted:

I don't know whether to respect your professionalism or call you a world class pussy :)

I'm updating Linked In as we speak. :D

TheBigBad fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 18, 2012

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

NeuroticErotica posted:

Amazon has an option on everything sent to them. For zero dollars.

At least they are WGA signatory so they have to pay you guild minimums for any option they exercise.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

I think I am in love.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Dont buy a camera. Don't spend a poo poo ton of money on anything. Use your phones to make a rough draft. Cut it together, try new things. Figure out what works.

Once you figure out how to get the story to work- then buy/rent the right tool to accomplish your goal.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Could anyone recommend a decent but inexpensive light meter? I'm taking a couple of classes but I don't expect I'll be switching departments anytime soon.

Where does one shop to fill their ditty bags (US)?

Anyone have any strong feelings on mult-tools? Someone walked off with my ancient Leatherman and I need to replace it.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

SquareDog posted:

No seriously, what did I say to garner such a reaction? I go to a lot of events like these (like I will again tomorrow) and I'd like to encourage discussion about camera systems higher than 5Ds and DIY speedrail dollys, not that I'm knocking such discussion, just trying to broaden the scope. So why the rudeness? You two disagree with my impression? GREAT! why? I'd honestly like to know. Talk, don't merely insult.

I appreciate your trip reports. The only thing I can think of is that people skim posts and then phrases jump out, for example 'I can take or leave everything..'

You certainly don't deserve the responses even if they were intended as sarcasm.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Find a class or a seminar on lighting. For your purposes a decent 3 point lighting set up is going to serve you more than any specific camera. It will allow you a bit more control with tone and theme and allow you to show off whether or not you have the goods. Camera is not going to make or break an audition or a Youtube channel. If fidelity were a concern- there would be no Youtube, just more cable channels delivered via internet.

TheBigBad fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 10, 2013

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Mozzie posted:

Only reason I could imagine to buy this is for a wicked Aliens Marine smartgun halloween costume.

Again, Steadicam only. Hua.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Tiresias posted:

Not sure if I'm talking too much, but I do miss talking about shooting film... cherish it, you're not just shooting film, but you're also shooting some of the last Fuji stock anyone will see.

You're not. I miss it bad too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

I don't understand- where do I load the the magazine?