Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I definitely value the opinion of people who have experience with a variety of cameras, including stuff that's out of my reach. I'm just bummed that there isn't anything designed for shoulder use in the price ranges I can stomach--especially considering there isn't much/any engineering reason why there couldn't be. For now this is how I roll most of the time:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GOT VIRUS FROM MP3 posted:

That doesn't hurt your neck?

It actually hurts my upper back more than anything. Having the weight of a camera out in front like that gets tiring fast, but I can do a decently full day of shooting if I don't have too many interviews back to back. This is one area where the GH3 was a dream. It's SO light I didn't really get tired holding it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cause he's a PA not a real sound guy. I just make angry eyes at him if he's loving up. And he actually did a great job despite not being able to monitor. It was a very low budget run and gun shoot where we'd roll up with the client's brand ambassador street team, shoot a bunch of b-roll on location, talk random people on the street into doing an interview, and then cut it all together overnight. For interviews where that PA wasn't available we just used a handheld mic.

And yeah, being able to hear what you're recording is generally a must for sound people. I've just made it work without a sound guy so often it's hard for me to justify one when money is tight, and when we DO have money for a sound guy, they've always had their own kit. So we're not well setup for proper boom mic work.

powderific fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 18, 2014

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is that wood solid?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why wouldn't you start with what you have? Depending on what you want to do, the camera and lens might wind up being the last things you'd want to spend money on.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It sounds like a publicity thing for Nikon and the robotics company. I love my D800 in general but can't imagine it being a great choice for this kind of thing, and the D4 is terrible if it's not shooting in crop mode.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's been around since well before video on DSLR's and you definitely saw cameras with the same limitations before. Over 30 minutes makes it a professional camcorder or some such nonsense that puts it into a difference class of taxation. On the 5D MkII the file size limit of FAT32 cut you off well before then, but the specific 30 minute limit is always due to taxes.

edit: It's not like recording time limits are going to be a thing if they're piping it out live anyway. And yeah, I've never had the D800 overheat and I've shot continuously in pretty hot conditions.

powderific fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 18, 2014

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Two new cameras, actually: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicursa

Not sure why EOSHD only has the studio camera listed since this went out in an email to all customers and is a bit more interesting to me.

edit: actually, he just posted about it now.

powderific fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 7, 2014

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually kindof excited for the A7S. I've been looking for a way to move to a two camera setup that's more compact than my current D800/XF300 kit that doesn't sacrifice stills and it seems like an A7R and A7S combo could be just the ticket.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aja's entry in the camera world looks pretty sweet:

http://www.aja.com/en/products/cion

4k, global shutter, clearly designed with shoulder use/single operator in mind, $9k.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I really like the looks of it. If you skip to the end of the features video there's about 6 seconds of video actually shot with one, but it's hard to tell much from it. Looks like they're planning to ship this summer.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know anything about the sensor on the AJA Cion? The nofilmschool interview (which had weirdly terrible sound) suggested that it's a sensor "others had problems with" so I'm wondering if it's the same as the BMPC?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ughh, I think I need to buy a shoulder rig or figure something out besides my current handheld method of tucking a tripod under my arm. I'd been hoping that something interesting/affordable would come out at NAB this year, but nothing quite fits my budget. Originally I was thinking I'd get into a lighter system with IS lens I can use unsupported, either GH4+12-35 or A7S/R + 24-70, or just buy a 24-120 for the D800 and deal with the extra weight. But It sounds like both the GH4 and A series have some potential downfalls though and I kindof hate the 24-120.

Does anyone have a shoulder rig they like? Ideally it'd be something I could very quickly remove the camera from to go handheld. Anything I do with my own gear is going to be run and gun with minimal support so the more streamlined the better.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not sure how much shopping around you did already, but adorama has the tv logic for $1200. Convergent designs oddyssey 7 (not q) is a nice monitor for the money too. Might be too big if your looking at 5/6 inch monitors though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If the A6000 had a mic input I'd agree, buuut, it doesn't. I love my A6000 and it'd be ideal except for that. I'd consider a D5300/D5200. There are some annoying quirks with the video mode, but both have great image quality and accept external mics.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But one of the main things listed is selfie style video blogs, which isn't going to be doable with a monopod even if it has feet. You could get away with a cheapy little ballhead tripod + monopod though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Responding to the monopod recommendation more than the cell phone one. Cell phone probably does make the most sense. Or you could just get an OK camera and treat it like a cellphone and not worry about trying to do it all pro.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man that's cheap. They say it's only till August 31, but I kindof doubt they'll bring it back up to full price at the end.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never touched an Amira but I didn't think the F5's balance was that bad with the Raw recorder and a battery on the back. I don't know how well it compares to an ENG camera but it definitely seemed balanced compared to a DSLR rig.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We just finished up two videos I'm fairly happy with.

This one was a pro-bono project so the color is... not great, but I think it turned out really well for two shoot days with me, the creative director, and a client contact. I still can't believe how many interviews we got:

https://vimeo.com/109478227

And a tunnel walk video for the local university's hockey team. This shoot was something of a disaster from the start thanks to a whole host of factors, but wound up OK:

https://vimeo.com/109281078

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you really need to be recording in 4k? I'd pull the shogun off till you know you need it.

Those are some basics, but it'd help to know what kinds of videos you might be doing.

Edit: didn't see the podcast thing. Do you have lights? Might want something there. How many people are on the podcast? What style is it?

powderific fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 9, 2015

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I run and gun I prefer to go as light as I can, usually with my D750/D800 on a monopod with either a Rode VideoMic Pro on top or a Juicedlink going to a boom if I've got another person. Probably a good 80% of my shots are on a 35mm or 50mm.

How long is your shoot? Maybe you could drop your camera budget down to more like $3k and use the rest to hire an assistant to help run sound and whatnot. You don't have to hire a professional sound guy necessarily.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ON the XF cameras, when I had my 300 I knew a few people who'd actually dropped down the the 100 from it because they didn't feel like it was enough of a quality bump and they wanted a smaller camera. I didn't like that the 100 only had one control ring and that was pretty well a dealbreaker for me. Looks like the 200 has the extra control rings which I feel like would be worth the expense if that's the kind of camera you're going for.

The PXW-X70 certainly looks good on paper. I wish the layout was more like their professional cameras than their consumer camcorders though. That control ring doesn't look very nice to use.

Have you looked into used? I sold my XF300 for about what an XF200 costs new a bit under a year ago.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We didn't have to talk to anyone special to get our rented gear insured for a shoot in Brazil in an area with moderate theft risk. It was expensive as gently caress, but it was through our normal insurance company.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We got it through productioninsurnace.com and I've had other policies as just some guy through other companies. I don't think they really care. We had to go through them in addition to our normal insurance because our normal insurance didn't cover outside the US.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Neither does the GH4? What made you think it had a global shutter?

And if you're only going to record 4k at 100mbps anyway, why wouldn't you use the 100mbps in-camera codec? You aren't going to get more quality without upping the bitrate. I'm puzzled as to what your reasoning was behind the solution you're looking at.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DNova posted:

For some reason I thought the latest GH4 firmware had a global shutter option but I can't find that again so I guess it doesn't.

The GH4 only records internally with 4:2:0 8-bit, so I thought it would be worthwhile to record externally with 4:2:2 10 bit. I am pretty new to this stuff.

edit: I'm still wide open to suggestions

What are you gonna be shooting? If you were going go go to all the bother of an external recorder I feel like an A7s would be better. The GH4's internal codec isn't bad. It seems like you're budgeting a lot of money for just the camera setup for someone who's new to the stuff.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure some would disagree, but I really don't think it'd be worth adding the external recorder to a GH4. The internal codec is already pretty alright. Also, the C100 mk1 is cheaper than a GH4 and Shogun.

Do you have lenses, audio, support, etc.? If you're buying all this stuff new I'd look at your whole budget instead of just thinking about the camera.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Or the just announced A7rII with internal 4k and 5 axis IBIS :getin:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They both have a 3G SDI port specifically for an EVF/monitor along with the primary 12g SDI out. It's pretty obvious in pictures of either and on their spec sheets.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not clear on why you want a decade old, tape based camcorder. The only thing I can parse from your run on sentence is that you'd like more battery life?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering why a camcorder at all. I don't think most people who are thinking on the cinematography end of things are buying camcorders now that larger sensors are so accessible. I'd probably look for a used XA20/XA25/XF100 if I felt like I definitely needed a small and cheap camcorder for whatever reason.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
With that much stuff to take care of, maybe you should try to find a DP to partner with? Unless you're planning something really small scale you're going to need crew at some point anyway. This is conjecture on my part but I feel like there must be plenty of aspiring dp types in NYC.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They mean different things. It's not word games.

edit: think of it like the difference between jpg, tiff, and raw photo files. Uncompressed does not mean the same thing as raw.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

Alright, I need help making a purchasing decision. I've been doing a lot more video projects lately. I'm shooting with a Sony NEX-5. I need to upgrade to a real, proper video setup.

I was thinking of getting the Sony a6300 for this reason. But then I watched this video and I'm nearly convinced that I'd be better off getting a C100. I've run into overheating issue with Sony DSLRs, and dislike the fact that I can't really record continuously without having the camera turn itself off.

Am I crazy for considering this? Or can I just hook up an Atomos Ninja Assassin to the a6300 to help it overcome its running/overheating limitations?

I like it. Thanks.

What kind of video work are you doing? There are some good points in that video, but also some kinda dumb ones. Like, I run external audio frequently and it sounds great. On big shoots I usually have a sound guy who, guess what, is recording separate audio. And the poo poo he was talking about with primes vs zoom makes no sense in the context of a C100 vs DSLR since the zoom he put on the C100 is a DSLR lens. That he could have used on a DSLR. It has nothing to do with C100 or not. And when I need continuous coverage and don't have the ability in camera I just run more than one camera (which is extremely helpful in the edit anyway.)

All that said, having a "real" video camera is a lot more convenient. I've never lost/gotten a job based on what equipment I own, but I'd like to have my owned kit be a little better just to make life easier. I don't think it's crazy to go for something like the C100, but it really depends on your overall budget and what you're trying to do.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've used both and think that the M5 has a much better single operator mode. The Ronin's I've used never felt as smooth as the Movi. Some of that might be that I setup the Movi myself while the Ronins I used were setup by others, but looking at test footage I think that it might be inherent in the programming. Only thing I found difficult about setting up either is that with the Movi you need to go into a drop down menu and hit "write to firmware" or something to save settings, which seems kinda unintuitive and dumb.

Edit: there's probably not that much comparison because people just buy the Ronin since it's so much cheaper.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For me it was just that their version of majestic mode doesn't seem as polished and smooth, especially how it transitions into motion. It's possible that I could have tuned that out with more tweaking though.

powderific fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 13, 2016

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When you're comparing those two prices remember that one camera is 4K and the other is 1080p. The C100 probably is a better workhorse though if you're ok with the extra investment.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The overheating thing is a dealbreaker for me. Never had that happen on any of the DSLR's or mirrorless stuff I've shot on though.

I think you guys are maybe overblowing the difficulty of rigging a DSLR a wee bit. While you can go to great lengths with rigging, you don't have to. To shoot at the level you're describing with the AF100 interview there's no reason to use an external recorder or any extensive rig. I'd run audio into my camera through a juicedlink and just have a vari nd on a lens ready to go. A for real video camera is more convenient, sure, but It's not that crazy.

edit: to be fair, I may just have camera stockholm syndrome since my primary gear is all DSLR stuff and I've gotten used to it.

powderific fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe on the very low end? I'm confused by that too as all of my dslrs have dedicated buttons for white balance, shutter, ISO, etc.