Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think you should just test the stabilization and resolutions to see how it works for you. For the stabilization, resolution is just going to matter for resolution. It’s going to crop in some and if you’re starting from 1080 you’ll have fewer pixels to work with. The wonky-ness comes from how shaky the shot is, how fast your shutter is, and how well the stabilizer interprets the scene.

For the 360 resolution think of it like this: your 360 horizontal image is 5.2k or 4k pixels wide. If you take a slice of that with a similar FOV to a GoPro, say 120 degrees horizontal, you’re taking that sized slice of the 5.2k or 4k pixel pie. So that’s gonna be something like 1.3k for 4k, 1.7k for 5.2k frame. For reference a 1080p frame is 1.9k pixels wide. I’m sure there are subtleties to the math and things I’m missing about it, but maybe that helps you understand why FOV is the key number here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree that it mostly looks like a change of color profile and doesn't look broken in the first shot to me. Comparing the two, it does look to me like your hue lights are set to a cooler tone in the less saturated shot.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you put it in a cage you'll have some more 1/4 20 on the bottom to choose from: https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-cage-for-blackmagic-design-pocket-cinema-camera-4k-2203.html

Or you could get a tripod clamp/cheeseplate combo of some kind, what you'd want would depend on what kind of tripod plate you'd use normally.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also, I just had to rent a Pocket 6k on a shoot and it barely fit into my Movi Pro with the Tilta cage. That thing is wide.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Definitely a great camera, but for my purposes I think I'd rather have something a little more non-rigged friendly, like an S1H or A7SIII. And right now I've got two Ursa Mini Pros, a G1 and G2, so a third camera probably isn't happening any time soon.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What lenses do you have? The FX6 just just came out and I think may wind up being the FS7's replacement as go-to freelancer camera, but it is full frame. It's $6k here, not sure about where you're at. A used FS7 should be well within your budget I'd think and a big upgrade while still having a lot of other similarities to the FS700.

There are a lot of good options in your price range, and you could consider going more of a mirrorless camera direction too. An A7SIII or S1H with the XLR jack pack would both be within budget (but again are both full frame so if your lenses are super35 not a great fit.) Pocket cinema camera 6k would be good too. I don't love the ergonomics and you only have a single mini XLR built in, but if you've been using the FS700 for years anything is gonna be an ergonomic upgrade.

For more traditional size cameras you could also go for an Ursa Mini Pro, though the big batteries and whatnot can get expensive, or a C300 MkII or C200 if you don't mind the canon ergos.

What kind of stuff are you doing?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also BlackMagic just came out with a new Pocket Cinema Camera 6k that looks nice. Now has a tilty screen, ND, and an extra XLR port for $2500.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Again, what lenses do you already have and what kind of work are you doing? Sure S35 is more standard, and staying with a smaller sensor is especially helpful for zooms on range/price/size/options. If this is a side gig you expect to not be your main thing forever it may make more sense to grab an FS7 used from someone upgrading to the FX6. Then you'd have the Fujinon MKs and a few other cheap cinema style zooms to choose from. Or go the more hybrid form factor with the new pocket cinema camera or similar.

powderific fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 19, 2021

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For something simple like that I would just use the tracker that's built in to Premiere. Apply gaussian blur to the clip, draw a mask on the thing you want to blur, and then track the mask path. I like the tracker in resolve better, but it's worth a shot before moving on to something more complex.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve had the ursa mini pro G1 and g2, which have the same menus and a lot of other similarities, since both launched and rent the pockets on occasion. What kind of info are you looking for? What’s your previous experience? Thanks to the great menus they’re pretty nice to work with in general.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As sweet, it should be pretty smooth then I'd expect. Here's some things that come to mind:
  • I'd personally stick with constant bitrate rather than constant quality as it seems to work a little better IME, and generally I'm doing 8:1 when I plan on doing higher frame rates, 5:1 if not.
  • B-Raw worked great with the plugin for me in Premiere for like a year, and then all of a sudden I had massive timecode issues on a year long project it was a huge pain recovering sequences. I'm testing out a workflow where I only use Autokroma instead, but haven't been doing it long enough to have anything particular to report. As amazing as the B-Raw looks I'm considering switching back to just using prores for most stuff just to avoid the broken projects. I've lost multiple days of post time to trying to fix the issues and it's a huge pain.
  • I don't like the Blackmagic 1st party LUTs for BMD Film log at all. With V4 color science I liked Comet color LUT package and Tom Antos's rec709 LUT, not sure if there's something that works as well for V5.
  • The pocket is so wide it barely fit into my Movi Pro with a cage installed — if I owned instead of rented I think I'd go with a half cage for the Movi (might not be an issue at all for other stabilizers though)

I'll try to think about any other tips too, but I know there are some folks in here who own the pocket so they might have more specifics especially related to the sensor.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The port location on the Ursa mini pro (other than the 12k) makes it not that useable, so I have enough CFast at this point I don't bother. The connection seems solid enough though, and a couple folks I work with locally who use BMPC6Ks mainly used SSDs. They sure are a lot cheaper.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
FWIW the pocket cinema camera is just extremely wide and even my Movi Pro barely fits it. I wish they would have put some of its volume into length or height instead of the goofy wide shape.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really liked this series of match cut kinda circle dolly circle crane shots from Euphoria E4: https://youtu.be/3vCHqucEZcA?t=55

This isn't narrative, but Ólafur Arnalds has a couple sessions that use the circle track in a way I like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEj7xYyj9n4 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCFO1Cp766I

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aputure has bar doors with a magnetic gel holder. I think one of my soft boxes from them has one as well. Seems like it wouldn’t be too hard to roll your own version with a gel frame, some glue, and some magnets.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
OP already has something like a tentacle in the ultra sync ones. Little fancier with screen and whatnot.

I think using the ultra sync as primary in your plan is good and is what I would do.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, I think you kinda need to know if she needs cards or storage space, and it'd help to know what she's shooting with as that could affect what kind of cards you'd want. I dunno, it's kinda hard to buy something like this for someone else if you don't know a very specific ask. SSDs are nice for storing footage while you work on it, big hard drives are nice if you're shooting a lot, but if she needs cards for the camera most they may actually be the most affordable gift of all those.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What kind of budget are we talking here? What will the video person's main duties be / what are they gonna be filming?

DSLRs aren't really the thing anymore either the world has moved on to mirrorless cameras like the GH5 you already have.

If it was at all possible I'd say wait till you have the person who's going to be in that role to pick something.

If not, I think a C70 or FX6 would be straightforward options. I'm a Blackmagic user and have ursa mini pros in G2 and 12k OLPF flavors but I don't think that'd be my first choice for you depending on the person's duties. I don't think I'd do a Komodo either — that feels like it'd be a better fit for like film class kinda situation than internal video person type role.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think for that budget/use case something in the realm of a C70 or a C300 MkIII would be a safe bet. Whatever you do, you may want to work through someone like CVP who will have sales people who can help build out the quotes and make sure you aren't missing anything. You can run it by us here if you're worried about being oversold or whatever but even as someone who knows what they're doing I've found having sales people at Abelcine etc. helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good list! I have a couple thoughts too, though obviously this is all just my opinion:

• Sounds like they already have a Sony wireless set — I'd maybe get nicer mics for it, COS-11s perhaps, just make sure they're wired Sony.
  • Jumping up to a 100mm half ball for a kit that small seems like overkill — I'm running a flowtech 75 / aktiv8 combo with my ~18lb ursa mini pro rig and it's great. Even handles a 24" slider. I wouldn't mind having a bit of extra stability at times, but for me at least that's a big chunk of change for mostly diminishing returns and I suspect for the internal video person too.
  • Depending on the balance of studio to field and supervised to solo, I'd think about moving the 13" monitor down to the nice to have and the on-camera monitor up to must have. And, again depending on use, I'd think about a smaller wireless directors monitor that can be carried around with a battery vs. a 13".
  • Battery powered lights / batteries for the lights you get. A lot of panels, and the 600d, will take v-mount or gold mount batteries, or there are options that are more self contained.
  • I'd get bicolor or RGB lights if you can as they'll probably be in goofy mixed lighting situations where it'll be handy
  • This may be obvious, but good bags to carry the gear in. I like Think Tank and Portabrace.
  • For a university I imagine they have carts kicking around anyway, but a dedicated junior cart (or even just a folding mac wagon) would be good.
  • Get some shot bags for your stands