Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f
Can anyone recommend an affordable ($300 - $500) and fairly easy to use drone with decent video quality?

I'm almost done filming a low budget documentary about a large abandoned building. I've shot most of the film so far using a Canon 60d with an adapter for Canon fd prime lenses. I'm happy with the quality of the footage for the price I paid for the equipment, the fd lenses give it a "film" style look that's appealing to me. To wrap up the film I'd like to get some drone footage of this quite large (10 stories or so) abandoned industrial building. This is probably just going to go onto youtube so I don't need crazy high quality.

I'd like something fairly easy to operate, capable of staying quite still in the air, and capable of getting fairly close up to an abandoned 10 story building without crashing. The footage is going to be mixed in with the Canon 60d footage shot at 24 fps, so something that appears kind of similar would be nice. I have very little experience operating drones so any advice would be great. I alternatively could pay the $300-$500 to get some people I know to shoot the drone footage for me, but I prefer doing it myself as it will allow me considerable more time to experiment and get all kinds of shots rather than pay all that money for one or two briefer filming sessions with seasoned drone operators. All advice, warnings, etc. is welcome. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

My husband uses the DJI Mini 2 drone for video. It's fairly well priced (just under €500 here) and the camera quality is excellent. Worth the longterm investment.

Thanks this looks like a solid recommendation. I see there's a very similar model (DJI Mini SE) that is a few hundred dollars cheaper too. I'll spend the night debating over whether it's worth an extra couple hundred bucks for the 4k camera vs. the 2.7k.