Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone direct me to a good explanation of different lenses and what they do? I really want to get in to this and plan on buying a 7d in the near future.

Edit: is a 7d even the way to go? Budget is approximately $1000. Is a $500 camera with some lenses a better option?

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Awesome. Thanks much. I think ive decide to go with T3i and 50mm and a 55-250mm lens. Should be around $800.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well ultimately, I want to shoot films I write. I realize this is not optimal but I have to start somewhere. Im sure ill be shooting a mix of indoor and outdoor.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My boss wants to start making films. We're in manufacturing and other than making little promotional videos we're clueless, but both have passion for film (and he has money). He's not going to want to break the bank on.a $40,000 camera. What is the best option for around $3k? I've seen some really nice.stuff shot with Ursa but I see mixed reviews about Black Magic.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BonoMan posted:

BlackMagic is fine, they just have some hiccups here and there from being a relatively small company. But lemme tell you... $3K isn't going to cut it. That MAY get you a body. Then you're talking lenses, lights, tripods, grip gear, kittting up your camera, all of the post production equipment you need to actually do stuff with the footage. The body ends up being the cheap part.

What kind of movies do you want to make? Going out and buying a bunch of gear isn't really going to make you filmmakers... especially gear you're unfamiliar with. If you have the money then you should look for people that have gear, but want people with ideas and money to make films with. Team up with them!

Yeah, we realize everything will suck at first. We just need a jumping off point. We want to do the work and learn the trade not just pump out a product. I figured spending maybe $1500 on a body, $700 on lenses and $800 on tripods and extra batteries and miscellaneous gear. We'd probably end up making a lot of the gear DIY. Right now, it's wanting to learn and it's a hobby, in hopes that we can eventually do something worthwhile. We want to have fun with it. We have Adobe sub so I have speedgrade, premiere, after effects, etc... (Haven't used em yet). I'm not a complete noob to cameras and editing, just need a lot of practice.

We're going to start with a bunch of just nature tests and interiors to get everything down. Operating, lighting, editing, grading. Then maybe some shorts.

We are in a good position to start, I think. I think we may be leaning towards GH4 or Sony AX100.

Also, for starter lenses: 18-55mm? and maybe a 55-200mm?

Anyone have a really good website with a lot of info? Most that I find on cameras is just threads asking what I'm asking with no replies.

Thanks!

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 20, 2015

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was unaware that we already had a Canon XA10. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Probably not the best choice for "filmmaking" but the best thing you can do right now is shoot shoot shoot. Learn how to construct a scene. For that you could use your cellphones, and the Canon is certainly better than those.

Thanks. Looks to me like it's for documentary's and covering live events and whatnot. No interchangeable lenses. It'll do for now I suppose.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have to shoot a short video for class. Not a film class, im very new. What are some very basic tips to get the best look? I want the most filmy pro look i can achieve w whatever bullshit equipment we get. 24fps for sure right? I do have experience w coloring at least.itll mostly be filmed at dawn.
Is there a good trick for lowlight w poo poo equipment? Or is it going to automatically look like trash?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

keyframe posted:

You can get a "filmy pro look" with an iphone if you know how to light and compose your shots. If you don't, even if you shoot with a Alexa it will look like poo poo. Basically there are no shortcuts sorry. But yea shooting 24fps is a good place to start.

Yeah i didnt really mean shortcuts per se, more like making the most of lovely situation. Ill just come to terms that its gona suck. Its for an English Comp class anyway so I don't really care.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pulling the trigger on a BMPCC4k. New to all of this. What are the accessories I'll need to start? It'll be used for features, at least for practice shooting things like that.

Looking at Ronin gimbal but need more suggestions and brands for: cage, external mic, batteries, sd cards, a case. What else would be a good start? That's gonna just about cover all of the $ available. I have 2 lenses already.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So everything I read said Moza Air 2 was awesome for BMPCC4k with no extra. No idea how to mount this thing. This loving sucks.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Too late now. I got it to fit. Why did I see dozens of vids and articles saying its perfect? Its tight af.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VoodooXT posted:

Honestly, minimum gimbal you should be using for the Pockets is the Zhiyun Crane 3. Has enough room to fit the chassis and play to balance.

That's $300 more. Of course every decision I make is loving stupid and nothing ever works. Anyone know if Zhiyun Weebill S, DJI Ronin-S, FeiyuTech Official G6 Max 3 works?
Or should I just grab a steadicam rig? If so what kind? Looking at ~$400. Sorry for breaking down here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Separate tracks. Should be a snap option as well.