Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

There are plugins which fix the rolling shutter effect in post (somewhat). I think as the cameras become more ubiquitous people are just overlooking the moire and rolling shutter.

Take the good with the bad, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

Casual Dilemmas posted:

Can anyone recommend a good series of tutorials on learning basic cinematography for shooting short films or basic webisode-esque TV stuff? I'm happy to devote some time to it so the more involved the better.

I am probably going to buy a second hand DVX100 because I am gay for Panasonic if that makes a difference to anything.

Getting out there and shooting is the best tutorial, but don't discount simply watching movies either. Find scenes in films you like, put the dvd on pause, and simply think about how they shot it. Did the camera movie? Where is the lighting coming from? Were there practical lights (like desk lamps, etc) going? Further more, who was the cinematographer/DP on that picture? What else have they done?

Study painters, too. Caravaggio, Rembrandt, Monet.

Also, give Visions of Light, and Cinematographer Style a go just to learn about the back story of cinematography.

Visions of light is pretty expensive right now (I'm not sure why) but it does a great job covering some of the more famous films, while Cinematographer Style is just a series of interviews with famous cinematographers.

The Affair fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 7, 2011

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I'm actually selling a pair of brand new Zoom H1's over here if any of you are interested.

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I'm pretttty sure I've seen it recommended in here before, so if anyone's looking for a copy of Man With A Camera and don't want to pay the crazy $80+ dollar prices for a copy on Amazon, I'm selling a spare copy I have for $50 shipped to any of you goons. My copy is also listed right now on Amazon if you'd rather go through it that way, also.

It's a drat good filmmaking book . I wouldn't be selling it if I didn't come across another copy.
Sold sold sold.

The Affair fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 31, 2012

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

codyclarke posted:

I'll take it!

Sold! You can paypal me at cikmatt AT yahoo Dot com. Please include your address and what not.

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

codyclarke posted:

Done and done. Thanks a lot!

No problemo, it's on it's way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

After three years of shooting on the company owned Sony HDV Z1U I finally convinced them to purchase a brand new Sony FS700 with the metabones adapter and a array of L lenses. It came in right before my state-mandated non-paid two-week holiday vacation. This past week I get an offer and accept a new job doing salary work with paid benefits and health insurance. Annnddd I'll be shooting on a Z1U again. Sigh.