Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

CA has one of these threads and I rather like it, so maybe we can make one work in here. Post your day-to-day changes to your cars that don't warrant a thread of their own!

About a month ago I got a Borla stainelss steel catback for my RX7, and the OEM hangers were a little too small. I don't have a picture of what it looked like, but it was mashed against the bumper and slightly lopsided because putting one side on before the other pulled that side's hanger tight enough that I couldn't get the front hanger on the other side. I ended up leaving the front hanger off the other one.

After lovely weather and several weekends of :effort:, I finally rehung it yesterday using longer generic hangers I got from Canadian Tire :canada: As you can see it's symmetrical and there is a healthy gap between the tips and the bumper. Joy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I finally got around to fitting my Koni Sports and TRD springs, replacing my horrible jdmu tyte ohlins kgmm setup. I had to get a friend to fab me up a tool to put the new gland nut thingies onto the strut cartridges.

Also I fitted some oe rear endlinks as the spherical bearing type ones I put on were hosed after a years use and the nuts were threaded as well. Didnt help that I managed to mangle the rubber boot on one of the front set, so I went and ordered a set of whiteline replacements for the front.

Result is every single bump no longer sent directly to my spine and i'm no longer bracing myself for horrible jarring bumps when driving over a drain cover. Although the springs give this odd sensation of falling into the corner which has been reported on mr2oc but im sure i'll get used to it. I'm going to take the car for an allignment once I get off work.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Last week I installed a 3" downpipe. As anyone with a Mazdaspeed 3 or 6, the stock downpipe is horrible restrictive. As it turns out, it is also a complete bitch to remove. Removing the old one took 5 hours, putting the new one in took just two. It has definitely made a difference in throttle response, however I'm smelling exhaust under the hood and leaking into the cabin. I'm going to have to get in there and make sure the downpipe to turbo nuts are tight.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Stuck some fuel in it, and finally realised that my CBR1000F carbs are never going to come and that I've been scammed :(

God knows where I'm going to find a set of cheap bike carbs (700cc-1000cc from a bike with a fuel pump, not gravity fed) now.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Last weekend was window motor and regulator. Tomorrow is blower motor. Maybe a radiator flush if I'm feeling saucy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I only changed my oil and filter. I went looking for a new shift boot but none of the junkyard cars had one that fit, so I might have to pull mine out and see if I can get a pattern made and cut at a leather tannery. I wish I could have the wacky ribbed rubber shift boot from 80s cars.

This weekend might be the fuel filter.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Touch up paint. Lots and lots of touch up paint. :frogbon:

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
Took out the gearshift surround to see why it won't go into 1st or 2nd. Got a faceful of exhaust leak blowing up the inside of the chassis and out the hole. Cable needs adjusting but I can manage without 2nd gear for now...

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
Last week I used my VAG-COM to turn off my daytime running lamps, turn off the TPMS, and switch the car to euro mode to bypass the navigation acceptance screen. I have an '04 Touareg.

Oh yeah, AI, I don't have a Jeep anymore.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
Yesterday I did some painting (Im painting the car the slow painful way)

I drilled out a broken stud in the head, tapped it for a bigger bolt, and installed the head.

I cut reliefs between the exhaust ports on the exhaust manifold.

I removed the front end body work (fenders, valance, ...)

More broken bolts to drill/tap today :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I got a fresh MOT and tax disc for the Primeval.

I pumped up the tyres on the E30.

I wire-brushed and spray-painted some more front suspension oddments for the Standard.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Last weekend I replaced a bunch of missing bulbs in my instrument cluster, and found out that the PO had replaced the whole cluster in 2002, and for whatever reason he didn't replace the oil pressure light. And I don't have a gauge. So For 34,000 miles I haven't had an oil pressure warning of any kind.

This weekend, if I get around to it, new front pads/rotors and a brake fluid flush. And motor mounts if I'm feeling saucy, but I suspect I'll put those off for a little bit longer.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
I took some of the badges off of my '08 Cobalt SS turbo this weekend. Now it's just the bowtie on the back and SS behind the front tires.

Kinda feel like a ricer, but it's much cleaner looking now. I'll be spending the next few weekends doing little things like that until the GM Stage 1 Kit (Their term not mine don't yell) is released. 80 Ft Lbs and 50 HP for $600? I'll take it!

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
I've had a nice black and white photography taken of it today. With me being behind the steering wheel, driving down the Autobahn. Should arrive in the mail in a few days time and should cost me around 30 bucks. Yay.

duep fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 29, 2009

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Just put $30 of new gas in the tank from a different gas station than i normally go to.

Oh and the front bumper has been fixed after looking like poo poo for the past 3 years.

BeastPussy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 29, 2009

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Changed my oil and rotated my tires. Also tire pressure. I'm a maintenance master.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Purchased a new primary 02 sensor because when I installed my header two years ago, I apparently cross-threaded the poo poo out of the stock one. $300 lesson in stupidity.

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Last weekend was window motor and regulator. Tomorrow is blower motor. Maybe a radiator flush if I'm feeling saucy.

I'm about to do both on a Volvo 740. I've been putting off the blower mother and regulator for so long since I hate drilling out rivets and the fan is supposed to be a bitch. Any advice?

This afternoon I'm about to do a tranny flush and install a tranny cooler, and when I lose the light it's time to work on rebuilding my new turbo.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I took my 1995 Lexus SC400 to the tire shop because one of the wheels had lost a weight and gone out of balance.

Then I turned around and took my 1991 Mercury Tracer LTS to the tire shop to have it aligned again under its lifetime alignment I bought last year. I was expecting to pay $10 or something for shop supplies but it was completely free! Thanks Firestone!

And they aligned it to my specs. (max out negative camber on the front wheels, -0.5 dgree on the rear, zero toe all around).

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
I checked all my fluids before I clocked in for delivery driving.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

Just got the 48 led switchback fronts installed. Definitely a much cleaner looking light and a little brighter than the old non-led lights.

I need to find a set of fog's that match those led's now.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Finally had the winter wheels taken off the Elantra. I got the LF off easily enough, but the LR was stuck like a son of a bitch. I yanked on it, no good. Kicked it, nothing. Whaling on it with a rubber mallet didn't work. I lowered it with the lugs off...nothing. Drove it back and forth with loosened lugs, then over a phone book a few times, then around the block for a while, aiming for every one of the numerous potholes in the neighborhood. I finally just took it to NTB, and two hours and $15 later the rest of the all-seasons are back on.

I also replaced the burned-out driver's side parking light in the TT.

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

I picked up the cute little Bosch blow off valve for my 240Z. Gonna post a video of the car running on Sunday probably. Just got it running properly with the MegaSquirt II early last week, and picked it up from the exhaust shop Wednesday. I'm really stoked to start driving it. :D

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
After 3 wrong parts, backorders and various dicking around from 2 different parts places, I finally found the proper rear brake hoses for my '86 Dodge Daytona drum to disc rear end swap.

Inching ever closer to driving again.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Added half a liter of fluid to the radiator, pretty sure its developed a leak somewhere, oh joy. Yesterday I changed my oil though, and washed it the day before, being unemployed has its benefits.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Money Walrus posted:

I'm about to do both on a Volvo 740. I've been putting off the blower mother and regulator for so long since I hate drilling out rivets and the fan is supposed to be a bitch. Any advice?

This afternoon I'm about to do a tranny flush and install a tranny cooler, and when I lose the light it's time to work on rebuilding my new turbo.

Not sure, I have a Grand Prix, so all I need to worry about is having every metric and US sockets, as well as all the sets of Philips, Flat, and Torx screwdrivers.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
jump started it. It only sat for 4 days, I think my battery is kaput.

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

DogDodger posted:

Finally had the winter wheels taken off the Elantra.

drat dude, you waited until nearly June to take winters off, in West Virginia?

My weekend plans include a full wash and wax, which my RX-8 hasn't had since last fall. I've also got a nice little dent in the front fascia from someone's trailer hitch backing into it in a parking lot. And I managed to keep it pretty much spotless aside from some tiny dings and scratches for close to 3 years!

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Yep. I was being lazy, and the fact that the wheels were stuck on there previously led to a gently caress it attitude. It doesn't get driven very much (just to work and back before 9 am and after 9 pm), but it's the only healthy car on hand to take on a trip to Ft. Knox this weekend, so the tires needed switched now.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Money Walrus posted:

Good news: You heard wrong there, the fan on a 740 is cake. Drop the passenger footwell trim, remove 5 or so screws, fan falls out in your hand. They learned from all the bitching on the 240, which was a 10 hour job. They made the 740 a 10 minute job.

And cmon, drilling 4 rivets isn't that bad. Have you even checked to make sure your car doesn't use nuts? They didn't switch to rivets until later years.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 30, 2009

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
lots of painting and valve train fuckery with no joy. I think Im going to go back and start breaking down cam towers/rocker until I get what I want or the nearby party sounds like more fun.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I replaced the cabin air filters in my 2000 Accord today. That was up there with apple laptop repair in obnoxiousness. I'm not sure whether to curse Honda or whoever replaced the filter last - two of the screws for the glove compartment reinforcement stuff managed to be partially stripped and over torqued. I have no idea how that even happens. The filters were pitch black and covered in leaves and the air conditioner just about doubled in strength after replacement so I'm thinking that it had not been done in a long time (I think the previous owner just kept up with oil changes).

TecNickal
Aug 31, 2007
Gamecock land

hobbesmaster posted:

I replaced the cabin air filters in my 2000 Accord today. That was up there with apple laptop repair in obnoxiousness. I'm not sure whether to curse Honda or whoever replaced the filter last - two of the screws for the glove compartment reinforcement stuff managed to be partially stripped and over torqued. I have no idea how that even happens. The filters were pitch black and covered in leaves and the air conditioner just about doubled in strength after replacement so I'm thinking that it had not been done in a long time (I think the previous owner just kept up with oil changes).

That has to be one of the dumbest locations for cabin air filter replacement (red dot). I snapped that passenger side under dash/kick panel right where it connects to console...no idea what screw I missed (other red dot).
Picture

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TecNickal posted:

That has to be one of the dumbest locations for cabin air filter replacement (red dot). I snapped that passenger side under dash/kick panel right where it connects to console...no idea what screw I missed (other red dot).
Picture

You missed the screw because its NOT IN THE HAYNES MANUAL. I was looking for another tab over there... nope there is a screw. Its conveniently blocked by the panel thats under the radio (you can see in the picture). I'm actually surprised I didn't break any panels doing all that today, they all thankfully have a lot of give.

In fiddling with all the stuff around there I somehow managed to disconnect my line in adapter. Gaaaaaah...

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Good news: You heard wrong there, the fan on a 740 is cake. Drop the passenger footwell trim, remove 5 or so screws, fan falls out in your hand. They learned from all the bitching on the 240, which was a 10 hour job. They made the 740 a 10 minute job.

And cmon, drilling 4 rivets isn't that bad. Have you even checked to make sure your car doesn't use nuts? They didn't switch to rivets until later years.

Yea, I've checked. Mine's a 92. The window is stuck rolled up, and the motor is dead (i've applied 12v to it with no success but a faint click), so I can't position the scissor arms in a correct position to get it out. It's not a hard job, it's just going to give me a headache, I'll probably have to remove the glass and hope not to cut my hand off doing it solo. Nice to know the fan is good.

Doctor Bud
Jul 25, 2008

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I drove it, because it's more reliable than a god damned tank.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Stripped the rest of the paint off my initial failed paint job on my new Garage Vary lip. Sanded her down with some 600 grit, gonna do it real proper tomorrow. I will never trust the monkeys at Autozone again :argh:

Also coming in the next couple days: Megasquirt install (AFM removal, whoo!) along with timing belt/fluids/cam seals :barf:

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

InitialDave posted:

I got a fresh MOT and tax disc for the Primeval.

I pumped up the tyres on the E30.

I wire-brushed and spray-painted some more front suspension oddments for the Standard.

What kind of a bad motherfucker is called a "Primeval". At least, I hope it's as awesome as it sounds. Please tell me it's not some fruity little econobox.

Speaking of which...I spent a lot of time today Plast-Xing the headlights on Grandma's little 96 Corolla. I despise yellow headlights, I keep Plast-X on hand at all times and she was here for the evening so I volunteered my time. All clear now. I took it for an evening test drive, and Oh my loving god the teensy little 4AFE engine is a wheezy, anemic, useless lump of an engine.

I know it's grandmas car and all, but I feel the need to improve the situation. Anyone know of a way to make grandma's car scary fast :p ?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm pretty sure the filter in my 2001 Accord has never been done - the HVAC blows pretty weak even on high (it makes noises like the fan is running on high, but not much air comes out). My mechanic laughed when I asked him how much he would charge me to replace it and told me I probably didn't want to know, and said it was a 1-2 hour job. At $85/hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
Some wiring:

Setting up my dash kit:

Tore my dash apart:

and got an email from allshocks.com that my supra mkiv bilstein shocks are on back order until August