Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Put new tires on my E34.

My old ones were worn, particularly the front ones, front left was losing air, and they were OLD. One of them was from '99, the others from '00 or '01. :monocle: Why do used cars you buy always have crappy old worn tires?

I put on new 205/65/15 Fulda Carat Progresso, which were rated as #1 in ADAC's yearly tire test 2009.

I can't tell much differece in just driving normally and taking turns as it's not exactly a race car, but they're MUCH more comfortable when driving over sett or other rough road. :)

I also used another set of wheels with a nicer design (original BMW Styling 5); cleaned them and put new valves in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

:(

Although to be fair, it was one of my coworkers who was borrowing my car who did it.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Ordered replacement carpet for my '86 Daytona, and FINALLY got the correct rear brake hoses for the '91 Disc brake rear-end swap.

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

Pilsner posted:

I also used another set of wheels with a nicer design (original BMW Styling 5); cleaned them and put new valves in.

Any pics? I don't think I've ever seen an e34 with Style 5s.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I installed a head I just re-built for the umpteenth time. I tried cranking it over with a wrench, and It didnt want to go. not sure why, probably something simple and stupid. In the process of cranking I think I broke something. there was a fairly loud pop in my chest, where I was leaning against the car for leverage.

Its not super painful, like I would imagine broken bones are, but it is really achy and sore. I think im done for the day.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Managed to get the broken bolt out of the engine just by grabbing it with vice grips and backing it out. Will replace the water pump and put my car back together tomorrow.

Fixed the passenger window crank on my MK1 caddy.

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.
Today all I did was dump some fluid into my power steering - I've still got a small leak. The other day I whittled a hose connector out of some schedule 80 PVC with some Vise-Grips to replace a section of the return hose that rubbed against my accessory belt. I'm losing a little fluid at the edges when the system's up to pressure since it's not properly barbed like an actual connector, but it should hold together until I get paid and can buy a real replacement hose.

SFH1989 posted:

The day after I got back I used it in a TSD Rally and actually made the last checkpoint.

Congrats on this, I got a new job about a month ago and couldn't make it up. I seem to make it to like 15% of those drat things, it sucks. My navigator got a wagon of his own, if we manage to make it to the Turkey Tour we might end up switching duties or something.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

After a small spinout and meeting a fire hydrant in December, I finally got around to fixing my truck.

After looking under the front, it seems the plastic broke around the bolts on the sub-bumper (inner bumper?) I figure a quick ghetto fix will work! It's a lease car I have to turn in soon, so I didn't want to pay for repair, nor did I want to jack up my insurance by reporting it.

So...

Taking the bumper off is so simple a trained monkey (me, although I'm not so trained) can do it.

pffffft, that's not so bad. I'm sure this would cost me $1200 to fix at a dealer though.

I swear the repair manual specifically says to use "washers and gorilla glue"! :ninja:

It's MUCH easier to take the bumper outer skin off before removing or putting the whole bumper back on. Hindsight and all.

Good as new (as long as you don't look underneath)!

The last pic is kinda lovely because it was getting dark.

Go Go Gadget Ghetto Body Work! :woop:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 12, 2009

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In theory, I've fixed the fuel tank leak on my housemate's Toyota. We shall see.

fooquestionmark
Nov 27, 2005

FUTURE DARWIN AWARD WINNER
I was about to reinstall the subframe in my e30 but both of the old bushings metallic inserts broke off in the chassis. I removed one and my arms hurt too much to try the other.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough
I got to replace 2 of the tires on my Jeep today as some rear end in a top hat pickup in front of me didn't know how to secure down his metal scrap.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Contraband posted:

Any pics? I don't think I've ever seen an e34 with Style 5s.

Here you go. 15 inches of fury. There's only *just* room enough for the stock 302mm brakes :). I took 'em from a 535 that I took apart, and they were a stock option back then: BMW catalog

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Took off my (illegal) black and white plates, and put on the required yellow and white plates, after being pulled over by the cops a few too many times.

I'm just disappointed in the amount of time it will take to build up the beautiful patina of dirt I had going on with the old plates :v:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Debating whether or not to start to lightly mod my GTP. Although I've been doing that for a couple weeks now.

Downpipe, colder tstat, wizzair intake, pcm, smaller pulley... I don't know.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 13, 2009

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Did a bit of bodywork on the Micra. And yes, the Toyota appears to now be leak-free.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
it seems my engine was knocking, so I mixed it up with 2 gallons of 109 octane to "cure" the horrible gas that seemed to cause the issue.

Also learned how incredibly finicky the twin turbo system in my car is and how dangerous is to raise boost.

So 268 HP it is... :(

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 28, 2018

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
In between watching le mans i managed to tap the NPT threads deeper on my oil cooler sandwich adaptor

i then installed the AN fittings and hopefully will be able to mount the cooler to the bumper and plumb everything tomorrow afternoon.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

enziarro posted:

Congrats on this, I got a new job about a month ago and couldn't make it up. I seem to make it to like 15% of those drat things, it sucks. My navigator got a wagon of his own, if we manage to make it to the Turkey Tour we might end up switching duties or something.

There's supposed to be another this summer. They're trying to do more rallies.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I ripped a chunk out of the side of my thermostat housing and need a new one. :( On the upside, I have a line on a used metal one for cheap instead of another lovely plastic one.

I'd load an image but waffleimages is down. I'll edit one in if I remember

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
I installed this sweet wood shift knob.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
After 3 month of trying to find just the right set (and being screwed around and scammed) I bought these:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Started to build a pair of roller drawers for our 2 4wd's

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Put some porterfield race pads in(oddly, the only pads I can find for my car other than PBR organic is the porterfields) with new rotors and some crash bolts to help with the obscene(for a MR car) understeer.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
This:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3112195&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post362011016

Lancek
May 31, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Gave my pickup a much needed cost. Found out why my exhaust was rattling, and checked out the shocks since the PO put some on there that have no give so every single dip in the road resets my spine.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

I stripped off 140,000 miles worth of road grime and baked oil from a Toyota A340E transmission that I bought this week.
Bling!!

After it was cleaned off I dropped the pan and inspected the magnets and filter for signs of destruction. The fluid was pretty brown but it didn’t smell burnt.

Stop here, only voodoo and black magic reside within

Next week I’ll be visiting some of the local rebuild shops to see about rebuild quotes.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I installed an aux oil cooler on my srt today.

Top left of the bumper

poorly routed lines

this sandwich plate was 100% unpleasent to get in there and bolted down.

:whatup:

next on the docket is the trans cooler

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I gave it a much needed bath (:argh: trees!) and scrubbed the years of accumulated rust and brake dust from the hubcaps. Unfortunately it's got spots of tar all over it from all the repaving they're doing around here so I need to find time to clay it.

ry
Apr 14, 2003
Installed some free scrap carpet.

Next up.... The Walls

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

ry posted:

Next up.... The Walls

Please tell me your keychain has a "Pussy Wagon" tag hanging from it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Ferremit posted:

Started to build a pair of roller drawers for our 2 4wd's

And continued today!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Avjet-A posted:

I stripped off 140,000 miles worth of road grime and baked oil from a Toyota A340E transmission that I bought this week.
Bling!!

Next week I’ll be visiting some of the local rebuild shops to see about rebuild quotes.

What kind of car is this for? I assume a Supra of some sort.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

ry posted:

Next up.... The Walls

Ever find that people will flat-out refuse to let you park your vehicle near playgrounds or schools?..

case
Mar 27, 2005

Took some pictures to advertise the fact she's for sale. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2400145&pagenumber=15#post362035608

ry
Apr 14, 2003

GTi_guy posted:

Please tell me your keychain has a "Pussy Wagon" tag hanging from it.

Nope

el topo posted:

Ever find that people will flat-out refuse to let you park your vehicle near playgrounds or schools?..

Nope

ph4lcon
Apr 23, 2006

The only reason to watch...
Drained, flushed and filled the radiator. God only knows when the last time that was done, my coolant was black. Replaced my fouled spark plugs and recharged my A/C. Up next on the to-do list is to install my CB and mount my antenna.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Got more progress done on my MR2 interior last night. I'm going to attempt to get the dash out this evening.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Replaced the weeping transmission cooler line.

Well, it was 2 days ago, but I'm catching up :colbert:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
Oil change, hooray. Probably should have done that 2000 miles ago but I'm a jerk when it comes to changing oil.

update:

also crashed it :(

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

omgitstheinternet fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 18, 2009