Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Quicks-jacks are really nice to have, especially when needing more room underneath.

That valve cover looks amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

MrOnBicycle posted:

Quicks-jacks are really nice to have, especially when needing more room underneath.

That valve cover looks amazing!

I have the quickjack 5000 and it’s pretty perfect for my low-ceiling garage. Gets the car about 24” off the floor by the sill rails so you have perfect access to suspension, exhaust, engine etc. and you can disconnect the lines and put them away against the wall when you’re done.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr-Spain posted:

Man I'd like some Quickjacks.

They're absolutely worth it. One of my favorite tools.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I have the quickjack 5000 and it’s pretty perfect for my low-ceiling garage. Gets the car about 24” off the floor by the sill rails so you have perfect access to suspension, exhaust, engine etc. and you can disconnect the lines and put them away against the wall when you’re done.

Yeah and I really love the fact that I lift the whole car at once (and level) which makes everything much easier, from swapping wheels to doing oil changes. One of the main reasons I got them is that I was tired of the balancing act of trying to only use the factory lift points for the jack while also trying to get a jack stand under the car before getting under it. Impossible on newer cars without straying from the factory points. I bought the extensions as well, which work well.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I really want to mount a quick jack on my car trailer so when my shitbox breaks at rallycross I can drive it up, lift it up, and fix easily and safely.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Mr-Spain posted:

Man I'd like some Quickjacks.

While the motor is getting rebuilt (and this will probably be a whole thread after I deal with wallet truama) I wanted to refinish the stock LS3 valve covers. The castings are really, really bad and I'm pretty sure they are made out of recycled beer cans. Wanted to go to the krinkle coat direction with a little bit of polished metal accent. This was my first time using that krinkle coat stuff and it's easier to use than I thought.

First up, modify the GenIV valve cover so it'll accept the oil cap directly instead of that ugly elbow. I have to use a funnel anyways. For these covers you need to grind off a tab in the casting an smooth everything out and it'll screw right back down (or just buy an aftermarket cap as I later found out).

Smooth down all the mold release lines, cover edges and the entire casting as they are so bad. You can see where the tab was removed in the cap hole here.

Clean machined surfaces to desired finish.

Mask up.

Paint. I first sprayed two complete however not heavy coats of etching automotive primer. After that I applied the hi-temp krinkle finish. About the only thing that you need to do here is apply a much heavier coat in alternating directions, with around a 5 min pause between coats. The coat will be so heavy you'll be almost terrified it's going to run. It won't. Then put it in the sun or hit it with a hairdryer or heatgun to get it started.

Unmask. I'd do this about 3-4 hours after so the paint is able to seperate cleanly. Also, and I'm adding this to the list from here on out with this paint, is to cure it in an oven at 200f for an hour. It helps cure the krinkle finish and also helps the etching primer bond.

With all the hardware and whatnot;

Yeah, that looks great. I've got a pair of crusty old junkyard covers from a... 5.3 I think? I gave them an initial cleaning with a brush and a green scotchbrite pad and those things are still gross. Maybe I'll get back to them someday and turn them into some wall art or something.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Anyone here use a mid-rise lift?

Such as https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/mid-rise-scissor-lifts/md-6xp/

I nearly went for a set of quick jacks but I still wanted something that would get me higher off of the floor. I have a 10 foot ceiling so I have room to go higher but not two post lift higher. It seems like a good middle ground apart from obstructing some of the center section under the car and needing to build a platform around it.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I have no experience with those or with Max Jax but they're another option for a not full height lift. Max Jax likely requires a bit of concrete work but doesn't obstruct the bottom of the vehicle and might be easier to tuck away.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ThirstyBuck posted:

I nearly went for a set of quick jacks but I still wanted something that would get me higher off of the floor. I have a 10 foot ceiling so I have room to go higher but not two post lift higher. It seems like a good middle ground apart from obstructing some of the center section under the car and needing to build a platform around it.

I was never clear on the use cases for those. Can't pull the transmission, probably can't drop a motor either, can't do exhaust. It's like a very expensive lift for changing tires and doing suspension work.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Galler posted:

I have no experience with those or with Max Jax but they're another option for a not full height lift. Max Jax likely requires a bit of concrete work but doesn't obstruct the bottom of the vehicle and might be easier to tuck away.

I’ve seen those and like the idea for my use. It would be potentially a better choice but it is a lot more expensive and I just have a standard residential slab in my garage so I don’t know that if I could bolt one in safely.

Motronic posted:

I was never clear on the use cases for those. Can't pull the transmission, probably can't drop a motor either, can't do exhaust. It's like a very expensive lift for changing tires and doing suspension work.

I see them come up used for around $1500 bucks which is about what a new set of quick jacks would run. I’m getting old and hate laying under anything anymore and that’s enough height to scoot around underneath without being totally supine.

So maybe the use case is me - grouchy enough to pay more to sit up.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

opengl posted:

Car-adjacent (hey I tow it with my car!) just wrapped up a new trailer build for bike hauling duty.

Last year I was running a little 4x6, it was just barely long enough for my 390.

With plans for a bigger track bike and wanting to be able to haul my other bikes should I need to, I sold that and picked up a 4x8. It was cheap because it came with a boat and nobody wanted to buy both. I was able to sell the boat pretty quickly so I'm only into the trailer for $100. I like these little utility trailers, they're nice and low so loading isn't sketchy, and light too which is important since I tow with my old Vibe.

It was a bare frame, no floor which is what I wanted anyway so I could build it up just how I wanted. Not in bad shape overall, just some light surface rust and as usual for used trailers, junk wiring and lights.

Stripped off the lights and wiring and gave it a quick wire wheel/spray bomb

Rebuilt the coupler (which was also junk and barely worked) and added a jack

Rewired and new LED tails/marker lights

New deck on, went with 5/4 pressure treated deck boards. Used carriage bolts at the front and rear and wood to metal screws at the crossmembers

Wrapping up: bolted down a wheel chock and plenty of e-track so I'm not married to any tie down points

Made the inaugural run last night picking up my new track bike, it towed great and the bike was rock solid

I still have a few little things to tidy up but it's more or less ready for track season.

Similarly car adjacent and much less nice, I finally got the kick in the rear end I needed to make my cheapo HF trailer actually capable of hauling things so I can do so when my camper is in the truck, when a friend a few miles away needed my snowblowing help. Registered (pro tip: go to the DMV during a blizzard and you can get in and out in 7 minutes) added some single e-track slots, then added some snowmobile specifics after I was done using the snowblower.

I’m also more or less winging this so if anything looks horribly awry or stupid don’t be shy about saying so.

I also drove this other car a bit in/after said blizzard and have not washed it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ThirstyBuck posted:

I see them come up used for around $1500 bucks which is about what a new set of quick jacks would run. I’m getting old and hate laying under anything anymore and that’s enough height to scoot around underneath without being totally supine.

So maybe the use case is me - grouchy enough to pay more to sit up.

I guess that's my point - quickjacks let you sit up doing those things AND you have access to the center of the car. They just take a couple extra seconds to set up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can get the toyota about 2 feet up pretty quickly. Drive onto ramps, jack up the rear up to it's max, and then jack the front up.

The Lincoln takes a bunch more work because when the front is on stands the back bumper is nearly touching the ground.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Went to do the timing belt/water pump/oil pump on my 2001 Forester. Managed to break off the bolt to the alternator tensioner, and I'm without a chain wrench to get the pulley off (I have no idea where mine went). I'll have to go to my parents and get my dad's wrench, then I'll be able to get into the depths of the job. I've got the fans and whatnot out of the way, so hopefully I get it knocked out this week.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Motronic posted:

This was my conclusion as well. The Quickjacks do lack in height, but at least I can access everything underneath and I can sit (albeit hunched over) underneath the car. I'm 6'4" ish. When working on suspension stuff I can sit comfortable on a stool.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Steve French posted:

Similarly car adjacent and much less nice, I finally got the kick in the rear end I needed to make my cheapo HF trailer actually capable of hauling things so I can do so when my camper is in the truck, when a friend a few miles away needed my snowblowing help. Registered (pro tip: go to the DMV during a blizzard and you can get in and out in 7 minutes) added some single e-track slots, then added some snowmobile specifics after I was done using the snowblower.

I’m also more or less winging this so if anything looks horribly awry or stupid don’t be shy about saying so.

I also drove this other car a bit in/after said blizzard and have not washed it.

I actually almost got one of those HF trailers before the one I bought popped up. I've heard they're a bit of a wet noodle unless you weld them up, confirm/deny?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The Macan finally rolled 100k km. Which means it's oil change time. Additionally, the ignition system is due for replacement. Time for new spark plugs and coil packs.

Two hours start to finish taking my time and it's back to running like new.
I love working on it. Everything is laid out incredibly well and is easy to access.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ThirstyBuck posted:

I don't like those because they block literally anything between the axles. No exhaust or (RWD) transmission work using them.

Motronic posted:

Exactly!

Galler posted:

This is what I keep eyeballing, but the Quick Jack is also portable. I mean, so is the MaxJax technically, but you can use the Quick Jack in the driveway, parking lot, whatever without sinking anchor bolts.

Powershift posted:

I can get the toyota about 2 feet up pretty quickly. Drive onto ramps, jack up the rear up to it's max, and then jack the front up.

The Lincoln takes a bunch more work because when the front is on stands the back bumper is nearly touching the ground.

Not to mention the front crossmember of rear axle are like 3' from the end of the car... Good luck having room to move the handle. :P

opengl posted:

I actually almost got one of those HF trailers before the one I bought popped up. I've heard they're a bit of a wet noodle unless you weld them up, confirm/deny?

Little bit, yeah. There are a few different weight classes, too. The biggest gripe I have is that they are 4' x 8'. Exactly, since they are designed to use a single 4x8 sheet as the deck. That means that if you have sides and a tailgate on it, hauling more 4x8 sheets is a pain in the rear end. The one I used to borrow, the friend that owned it ended up spacing the supplied stake pockets out about 1/2" with wood blocks, and just leaving a small gap between the sides and the deck all the way around. Not only allowed 4x8 sheets, but you could sneak a tie down through the gap and hook it on the frame down low for shorter stuff with the sides on.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Not to mention the front crossmember of rear axle are like 3' from the end of the car... Good luck having room to move the handle. :P

4.5 feet.

It's 19 foot long car with a 10 foot wheel base.

My solution was obviously 5 foot long jacks.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

opengl posted:

I have only towed it empty and with a ~300 lb snowblower on it, and that with a lifted Bronco. I have no idea based on that experience, to be honest. It seems reasonably sturdy right now with the 3/4" plywood bolted onto it, at least for any load I plan to put on it (mainly the sled)

Darchangel posted:

Little bit, yeah. There are a few different weight classes, too. The biggest gripe I have is that they are 4' x 8'. Exactly, since they are designed to use a single 4x8 sheet as the deck. That means that if you have sides and a tailgate on it, hauling more 4x8 sheets is a pain in the rear end. The one I used to borrow, the friend that owned it ended up spacing the supplied stake pockets out about 1/2" with wood blocks, and just leaving a small gap between the sides and the deck all the way around. Not only allowed 4x8 sheets, but you could sneak a tie down through the gap and hook it on the frame down low for shorter stuff with the sides on.

I got the beefiest one, so that might have something to do with it. I haven't put sides on it, and don't plan to, so have no direct experience but they are at least on the sides of the trailer so they should fit 4x8 sheets if I put up sides as long as they weren't built to the inside of the stake pockets, though probably a tight fit.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

4.5 feet.

It's 19 foot long car with a 10 foot wheel base.

My solution was obviously 5 foot long jacks.

Obviously.

Steve French posted:

I have only towed it empty and with a ~300 lb snowblower on it, and that with a lifted Bronco. I have no idea based on that experience, to be honest. It seems reasonably sturdy right now with the 3/4" plywood bolted onto it, at least for any load I plan to put on it (mainly the sled)

I got the beefiest one, so that might have something to do with it. I haven't put sides on it, and don't plan to, so have no direct experience but they are at least on the sides of the trailer so they should fit 4x8 sheets if I put up sides as long as they weren't built to the inside of the stake pockets, though probably a tight fit.

That’s the thing: the plywood for the sides usually goes on the inside so it will clear the fenders, giving you just under 4’ in width.

And yeah, good decking helps with rigidity.

They’re OK. I hauled an unreasonably large number of paving stones with one. The trailer handled it, but it managed to push my Jeep Cherokee out into the intersection first time I tried to stop. Brakes were fine but tires weren’t up to it on the lightweight Jeep.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Simple things 2 days before leaving town for my first track weekend with the car:
LS engines love inhaling oil via the PCV on track, so I installed a Moroso catch can. Reasonable(ish) price, and a well put together kit with no surprises. Picked up a Katech serp belt tensioner while getting their clutch bleeder, but that's a Later Problem (along with A/C belt and idlers).

Did steps 25 through 27 of the LED headlight install process, and added the relay that keeps the low beams on while the highs are on. Highs on this kit are the same LED setup as lows but angled up a bit, so this should be a more useful light pattern. Useless garage shot, with the even-higher $30 Amazon spots on as well:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

heffray posted:

Simple things 2 days before leaving town for my first track weekend with the car:
LS engines love inhaling oil via the PCV on track, so I installed a Moroso catch can. Reasonable(ish) price, and a well put together kit with no surprises.

I've been looking at a Mighty Mouse can now that mine is boosted, but my wallet hurts. I might look into this.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

heffray posted:

C5 Stuff

Every post you make about your car makes me want to do more to mine. Those headlights look rad.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I didn't think a car could pass Cali Smog with a catch can?

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Full Collapse posted:

I didn't think a car could pass Cali Smog with a catch can?

Page 40 within Appendix C of the smog check manual lists "Oil Separator/Filter – Crankcase gas filter" as an item that does not need a CARB EO number. Venting a catch can to atmosphere is pretty obviously illegal. I'm probably going to print out the relevant pages next time I smog the car.
https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/smog-check-manual.pdf

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Changed the Oil Pump, Water Pump, and Timing Belt on the Subaru. I still haven't gotten the tensioner (had to pick a used one up on eBay, and it was supposed to be here today). Managed to mangle the crank position sensor since it got stuck in the socket. Hoping to be through with this soon.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 15, 2024

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

On the Z4:

BC Racing coilovers and sway bar end links. Total 2 hours of work time and zero broken parts or sweating. I am pretty sure I’ve never had that before on a full suspension install.

The rear is perfect but the front might have to come up 1/2”

S2000:

Finally put tires on the wheels I had refinished 2+ years ago. I was running Conti DWS06 on the other stock wheels I have, but I just looked at the date code last week and they were from early 2016…

Kumho Ecsta V730 in the factory sizes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Rolled on a layer of epoxy primer in the trunk, waiting for it to cure now.

Most of the brown stuff is anti corrosion stuff like wax or oils and not rust, though some of it is...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Next step, I put a layer of stone chip protection. This is oil based with anti-corrosive properties, and can be painted over. Got the tip from another saab owner that it will work as a sound deadener. I tried rolling it on first and that's why it looks off in spots. Good thing I had a spraygun, dunno why I thoght rolling it on would be better... I will remask and do another layer later, then finally paint it over with a matching silver color.

Also some WD-40 on your finger means it's possible to smear out this otherwise impossible to deal with butyl sealant

Also use WD-40 to clean my hands afterwards.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Cleaned the IACV in the S2000.

For some reason instead of security torx, it was screwed together with pentalobe.

Then it was just a matter of very simple disassembly and a bit of ultrasonic and a pipe brush followed by some compressed air to dry.

I would have just replaced it since it’s 23 years old, but they’re $225+ and cleaning is free.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Free is always the best price. I scrapped the plan of all new parts on my toyota and have been able to save just about everything so far, except rubber bits of course.

Luckily it was just pentalobe and not security torx plus like BMW likes to use.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Powershift posted:

Free is always the best price. I scrapped the plan of all new parts on my toyota and have been able to save just about everything so far, except rubber bits of course.

Luckily it was just pentalobe and not security torx plus like BMW likes to use.

The MAF sensors on my Cayenne are held on with those. That was fun.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Another dumb fastener I didn't know existed. Why?!?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Then it was just a matter of very simple disassembly and a bit of ultrasonic and a pipe brush followed by some compressed air to dry.

What ultrasonic cleaner do you have and how do you like it?

Suburban Dad posted:

Another dumb fastener I didn't know existed. Why?!?
Why are you wrenching on vehicles you own when you could be supporting the "local" dealership chain?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

NitroSpazzz posted:

What ultrasonic cleaner do you have and how do you like it?

I got the HF one for $89 or whatever and it’s great for a budget machine. Does the job.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I removed the front bumper again and modified the fog light brackets. They had been bugging me for a while, too far apart compared to factory ones. So I decided to move them 5cm further in on each side. Looks better this way IMO.

(red is primer I wasn't too careful painting these)

Also a quick rust fix, this was from when I bought the car. I just used a rotating steel brush, rust converter and repeat. In the end I wipe it down liberally with acetone and wire brush it again before the acetone evaporates. I find that really leaves a clean looking and shiny surface. Then fiberglass filler and painting / clearcoating.

Now this was just a rattle can job, the silver paint wasn't even matched to the car. And the photo make the differences more obvious than in real life. Will have to see how well this holds up compared to a proper job.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Finally the Amp Super Seal connectors came from Aliexpress. Yeah they're copies, but they were cheap! So with that I was able to properly hook up the new fog lights. More rust here but not too bad. I've linseed oiled it for now.

I tried making the cable layout look more organized but eh, still has that amateur look to it. But the thick cable sheats make it look a little less messy. I would have liked some extra locations to zinch the cables down with zipties but I don't want to drill extra holes for that...

I was gonna test the fog light connections when I realized my battery had drained for the 3rd this winter. Ugh. No good. I suppose a battery maintainer would be the right call here but I hate buying stuff and I was sure I had something laying about. And I have this smart power controller:

Which I then hooked up to this ultra modern battery charger. So if you haven't figured it out the idea is this will remain hooked up to the battery while the car sits, and charge it maybe an hour per week. That might too much, or too little, I don't know.

New cooler came too! But it won't get installed until after I've flushed the cooling system on the car with detergent and cleaned it out good.

late edit: Just wanna point out the shoddy electrical work is temporary, it'll go into a IP box with cable fasteners and everything will be grounded, well as far as it can. Charger lacks a ground.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 24, 2024

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Today I tore the rear interior out of my Impreza to install a plug-in trailer light module from Curt. I got as far as reinstalling the interior, but have not ran the power wire all the way to the fuse block I installed in the center console (which has outputs to my dashcam and solar panel trickle charger). My numb fingers demanded that the electrical work be done on another occasion. I stowed the power wire coiled up wedged under the driver's side rear seat. I only lost one screw and broke four plastic clips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Woke it up > washed it > long cruise> fed it > stuffed it back in the garage with under an inch to spare until i get some parts to re-seal the top end(or until i need a shovel)

After driving the Toyota for a month on our busted rear end roads, i keep bracing for bumps that never come.