Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

I found their e-mail on a complaint website and we went back and forth a few times this morning, They've accepted fault and will accept the return and cover shipping but...

The water pump and tensioner pulley work and are already on the car. after shipping, a water pump and pulley alone are more than the price of the kit.

There is nowhere near me that has a water pump or pulley available, Toyota is getting me a timing belt for $77 but the pulley is $380 in their system and not available anyways. The only parts store with a timing belt in their system also had a part number ending in 070 which would be the 4ac belt.

They did the right thing. It's still going to cost me a little more but i'll have a genuine toyota timing belt on it. It would have been a little cheaper overall getting the right parts the first time but I'm happy with the resolution.

I probably didn't even need to replace the water pump but it looks like it was double gasket anyways. The coolant passages i can see, and the old coolant and subsequent flushes look fine. Definitely not toyota red though.

The tensioner pulley was gummed up with belt schmoo so definitely has to go.

Because i've got both power steering and A/C, getting into this stuff is hell and i'd rather not do it again any time soon if i can help it.

This is the last timing cover bolt AFTER removing 3/4 power steering bracket bolts and rotating it out of the way a bit. The 4th bolt would require removal of the A/C compressor.

I knew the car would be an adventure, but drat.

At least with the Lincoln, half the parts were shared with 3 decades of f-250s and various cars. and there's only one variant.

tl:dr: Rock auto made right. Car hopefully on the road this week for the first time since George W Bush was president.

Ah. I haven't done the t-belt on mine, and certainly had no plans to replace anything else. I do find it interesting that the water pump and tensioner are the same for both engines - I guess that's Toyota for you. I mean, the 4AGE is technically a variant of the 4A line, so makes sense.

edit: page snipe. Added quote for context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Perhaps I'm dense as heck, but is there some Canadian reason to not use Partsouq? Is it cost?
https://partsouq.com/
I only ask because in a couple days I'm going to have my own 4AGE Corolla here:

Seems like I can find all the parts I'd need at Partsouq. I'm also super used to doing this on account of importing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've never heard of them, but a quick look for stuff on my list, most of it isn't available Even basic stuff like spark plug wires and coolant hoses

It's probably good to get part numbers for interchange though. There are a lot of ae86 specific sites that do have stuff at ridiculous mark-ups.

It does have an air filter for $6 which is nice because they're oddly hard to find and expensive when found.

It also does give a part number for the Jan 87+ accessory belt which was a headache. Just on the three belts would have saved me $100.

Seems like a good tool to have in the tool belt.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Powershift posted:

I've never heard of them, but a quick look for stuff on my list, most of it isn't available Even basic stuff like spark plug wires and coolant hoses

It's probably good to get part numbers for interchange though. There are a lot of ae86 specific sites that do have stuff at ridiculous mark-ups.

It does have an air filter for $6 which is nice because they're oddly hard to find and expensive when found.

It also does give a part number for the Jan 87+ accessory belt which was a headache. Just on the three belts would have saved me $100.

Seems like a good tool to have in the tool belt.

Right yeah I meant for specifics like belts. There is also amayama and megazip, both typically having more parts availability than PartSouq but being worse in terms of ease of use, shipping, cost and ship times:
https://www.amayama.com/en
https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej

Though I have found PartSouq to be the best, especially in terms of shipping. Invaluable for diagrams and as you've pointed out, part numbers. As an aside, I've used all three of these places without issue over the years for all sorts of obscure weirdo parts. I got a brand new OEM door card for a 1996 Mitsubishi Pajero Mini shipped to me here in the USA without drama, as well as lower window trim (A big chunk of decorative plastic) for a 1991 Honda Acty from Amayama.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 12, 2024

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Thanks for the links and info.

poking around on partsouq i've found part numbers for stuff like the full inner+outer rocker panels and places that have them at not crazy prices.

When i can do a suspension refresh it should also help have all the bolts ready for when i snap the old ones.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Pulled the blower so we can get the motor out tomorrow.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

FiST blend door motor replacements. Took less than 60 minutes but it was pretty annoying since the driver side is shoved behind the steering wheel.

The driver side was the only one making noise but might as well do both since cost of new OEM parts was only $77

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Took delivery and washed, polished and waxed it, it will look nice for 12-13 hours.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KakerMix posted:

Took delivery and washed, polished and waxed it, it will look nice for 12-13 hours.

Jesus that is looking so awesome and I am super jealous!

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
It was oil change day. The 01 Forester was quick, though I slightly overfilled it. The POs weren't big on a lot of maintenance, so the oil was pretty thick and black. The vette I did the engine oil and the supercharger oil. It's probably due for the rear end/transmission oil at 60k, but I'll wait until later this summer. I'd like to do a clutch job on it, and while that's out, it would be the easiest time to do it, as you have to pull basically everything except the engine and front subframe out of the car.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Not so much what I did to the car as what I did for the car. Got hold of a 1965 Dodge Dart service manual. Been looking for one but always been very pricey. Man what a gem of a manual compared to many modern manuals.

I've come to the conclusion that I really need a proper garage to continue with the project. As it happens me and my wife are looking to buy a house, so just waiting for the right one to pop up. Can't wait to get going again!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Last night I finally welded up the rust hole in the mazda 6. I notice where it rusted out there is a hole on the bottom/side that will let water and crap into the beam structure, but I can see no drain hole. When I cut away the rust I had so much debris logged in there, no wonder it rusted out. But why! Why have those holes there?

Also I wonder if I am really bad at welding or if I can start blaming my mig welder, but it sure turned out ugly lumpy mess even after I ground down the worst. The welder is so inconsistent from weld to weld. I wonder if the ground cable is broken still, I've gone through the handle and cleaned out the liner and got new rollers for the feeder, it feeds very well. I cut off a part of the ground cable when I got it as it looked to be in bad shape but maybe the whole cable needs replacing. Or it's just me.

Using straight co2 might get some blame but I didn't do much better with mixgas, I think they act similar enough.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

His Divine Shadow posted:

Last night I finally welded up the rust hole in the mazda 6. I notice where it rusted out there is a hole on the bottom/side that will let water and crap into the beam structure, but I can see no drain hole. When I cut away the rust I had so much debris logged in there, no wonder it rusted out. But why! Why have those holes there?

A friend has a Lexus IS200 which has rotted out on the sill just in front of the rear wheels. There's a set of plastic guards bolted at the bottom of the sill in the wheel arch which just collect crud, water, road salt and rot out on every single IS that's driven in anything other than dry conditions. It's such a poor design choice.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have those as well on both the toyota and mazda. Replaced the left hand sills on both cars and did not put the holes or plastic strip back. I still got the same to do on the right side on the mazda, the toyota is surprisingly in good shape.

That drat plastic strip makes no sense. I covered the underside with lots of undercoating instead.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Also I wonder if I am really bad at welding or if I can start blaming my mig welder, but it sure turned out ugly lumpy mess even after I ground down the worst. The welder is so inconsistent from weld to weld. I wonder if the ground cable is broken still, I've gone through the handle and cleaned out the liner and got new rollers for the feeder, it feeds very well. I cut off a part of the ground cable when I got it as it looked to be in bad shape but maybe the whole cable needs replacing. Or it's just me.

Using straight co2 might get some blame but I didn't do much better with mixgas, I think they act similar enough.

Try posting the question in the metal working thread in HCH.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Do you have the polarity correct? Might be worth doublechecking. This is me posting as a guy who did this once and was so confused when welding as nothing was wrong the way I'm used to it being wrong.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Do you have the polarity correct? Might be worth doublechecking. This is me posting as a guy who did this once and was so confused when welding as nothing was wrong the way I'm used to it being wrong.

That's a really good point. If that used to be a flux core box it's probably set to DCEN and a mig torch should be positive.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Lazily quoting myself in my own thread.
TL, DR:
re-jetted and adjusted idle on the Corolla's Weber, still need to do the main jets (too lean, as it turns out) and painted the rusty wiper arms.
It idles much better now, at least.

Darchangel posted:

Weather was nice and I had a three-day weekend. Time to work on something! I chose to fiddle with the AE86, since I got in the parts I needed.

First up is the phenolic carb spacer I bought to hopefully ease the dieseling the thing does on shutdown, presumably due to the intake and therefore the carb sitting right on top of the exhaust manifold. Like, literally (non-crossflow head.)
Before:

gently caress you, Weber:

Couldn't have made the base a little wider, or the damned filter flange a little smaller, eh?

Then there's this bolt:

Which lives under the accelerator pump, among other things:

That's also going to make it entertaining to install the 12mm longer bolts needed for the spacer.

Got 'em all out, though.

Note the slightly tapered hole, to accommodate the larger secondary bore versus the primary. Mainly means you have to get the gaskets and the spacer on the right way around.

Spacer successfully installed.

I was just able to get the longer bolt in that one corner. If not, I would have cut a bolt down to a stud and used that. One annoyance - locally-available M8 bolts are, of course, 13mm head size rather than the correct 12mm. I hate that.

Once that was done. I moved on to attempting to tune this pig.
I followed directions from Redline (purveyors of this carb) which noted several things you could easily screw up, which is nice. One of the main ones is setting the idle stop too high so that the throttle blades uncover the transfer slot, which completely bypasses the idle mixture circuit. I though I had it right, but cranking the idle mix all the way closed, the car continued to idle, so obviously I had that wrong, or something else was wonky.
I actually left that for another day. that next day, I made absolutely sure the idle stop was at 1 turn from contact, and additionally pulled the idle jets to check them.

Initially I thought the primary idle jet was unmarked and sized it with some tiny drill bits:

but "0.6mm fits and 0.8mm doesn't" still left a pretty wide range of jet sizes it could be. Eventually, I cleaned it with a brass wire brush and was able to make out the very lightly stamped jet size:

60 would be correct for the default jetting on an out-of-the-box DGEV, according to what I found on Ye Olde Internette.
That should also mean the secondary idle jet was 50, but that one truly was unmarked.

Per the idle circuit tuning procedure (idle didn't clear up until 2-1/2+ turns out), the 60 was too lean, which was a surprise to me. I actually had to go up two sizes to a 70 to get the best idle between 1-3/4 and 2-1/4 turns, and it is definitely better. Less stinky, too, so I guess that was from being too lean rather than rich. It never did belch black smoke, so that tracks, I guess.

Box o' jets:

Changing the secondary idle jet to larger seemed to make it worse, so I left that at what was in there, though I had to do some "machining" to make the jets fully seat in the holder:

The idle jets are accessible externally, which is very nice. Main jets are down in the float bowl. You can do these on the car, however. The Weber design means you can just pop the top off of the carb with 6 screws and releasing the choke linkage. Before I get into that, though, Id like to know what it's actually doing, so I previously bought an AEM 30-0300 wideband O2 guage/controller and sensor kit.

Sensor on the 4AC is fairly easy to access, at least:

That's the right side engine mount and steering rack lurking underneath. Don't even have to jack up the car, though there is this power steering pump bracket in the way of accessing it directly from the front on mine. This is where the bracket was (the three clean bolt bosses)

(O2 is behind it looking from the front, O2 off to the left in this picture.) The car was converted to a manual rack by the PO, so I just finally had a reason to delete the bracket, I guess.
Nice straight access:

Of course, neither of the O2 sockets I had would fit due to the proximity of the two bolts in the mounting plate, there, so I had to undo those wo nuts and take the whole thing to the vise to get the O2 out.

Thankfully, it came off easily, and didn't leak when I put it back. O2 came out nicely, too - an advantage mounting it in steel rather than the cast iron directly, I suppose.

I cobbled a cigarette light plug onto the harness for the gauge/controller,

and found a convenient grommet to pass the harness for the sensor into the car, and hooked it all up:

Velcro plus carpet dash cover make for easy mounting and cable management!

It all fired up, and after a moment to let the sensor heat up (during which time the gauge says "heat" and the LEDs around the perimeter count up to done) I got a reading for idle:

It was fluctuating, but around about 13. Not bad. A little rich at idle, but ~*carburetor*~, so not outrageous.

Varying the throttle in neutral didn't look too bad:
http://i.imgur.com/NClBa2B.mp4

Not as wildly as I had assumed. In fact, seemed lean when I got the secondary to open...

This was confirmed with a test drive:
https://i.imgur.com/yN9C8Dx.mp4
(there is sound in both of these videos. Handy for hearing the shift points in the test drive.)

So, yeah, needs a little more primary and maybe a lot more secondary. That would explain why it was accelerating better with less pedal that flooring it. It was gong way lean with the additional air from the secondary. I ran out of time, but eventually I'll need to open it up and see what's in there. Stock jets on the carb should be 140/140. The kit has a 145, 150, and 155. Hope that will be enough. I've read that the primary and secondary should be the same or within 5 of each other.

Onward and upward.

While I was fiddling with the carb, I also went to change out the wiper blades, and decided I couldn't stand the rusty wiper arms any more.
Pulled the driver's side arm (with the aid of a small gear puller) and noticed:

Huh.

Does that mean...
Yeah.

Well, that would explain why the arms had previously contacted the hood (note the huge gouge in the pot metal.)

They are definitely different:

Some wire wheeling and sandpaper later:

primer:

paint:

Gouges sanded out relatively smooth:

Certainly less noticeable when all black.

Nut storage:

[spoiler[this is mainly to remind myself where I put them when I inevitably can't find them later[/spoiler]

The PO-installed (as I recall - I don't *think* I replaced them, though if I did, I just measured what was there) were two seperate sizes:

Rock Auto spec'd (2) 18" blades, so that's what I got. Looks like what was there was 17" and 19", possibly because of the arms being incorrect?
I guess I'll see when I put them back, after the paint cures a couple days.

A reasonably fulfilling venture, on the whole.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

That's a really good point. If that used to be a flux core box it's probably set to DCEN and a mig torch should be positive.

nth-ing this. I use straight C02 and it works OK. It's a little "hot" for thin stuff, making it difficult to not blow through, but still welds fine on thicker steel. That might be part of your problem? I end up with decent welds on the 18-or-so gauge in the floorboards of my RX-7, but not the best. It's always a dance between wire speed and power. I envy the newer Millers and such where you just tell it what you're welding and it figures out what should work best, and you can go from there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Lazily quoting myself in my own thread.
TL, DR:
re-jetted and adjusted idle on the Corolla's Weber, still need to do the main jets (too lean, as it turns out) and painted the rusty wiper arms.
It idles much better now, at least.

"Piver and Drassenger" ~PO of your car

I'm saving up a bunch of pics for a thread on the 86. Today was the last of the fluids and then what started as a cleaning turned into an interior stripping.

I did find some dope stuff though.

A Canadian tire coupon that expired 22 years ago.

a map of Calgary and Edmonton from 1996

A Danish Krone

Pennies! Canada discontinued pennies in 2012. PO also bought me a car wash.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

StormDrain posted:

I can't actually swap it without opening up the welder on this model, it's a 250A industrial welder I bought 2nd hand. Now I have another welder of the same brand that's a 300A TIG/stick model, I found it's ground cable has the same connector, that ground cable is much thicker to boot. I put it on the mig welder and I think it made a difference, I was able/had to go down 3 steps on the power scale (transformer welder) to weld the same type of sheet metal without it getting too hot. Previously that would have made turds on the metal mostly. So I think I am onto something here.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
I paid $10 to ship two screws.

Stupid Toyota uses stupid M3.5 screws for the stupid rear wiper blade on 3rd Gen 4Runners. $2.50 for the screws, $10 for shipping.

Stupid Toyota.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
In my natural habitat again. Fuel leaks this time.

Fuel return leaking at the back of the block. "new" Gates 30R6 ehhh 8 years ago is now coming due. Continental is going in for next time. F to You, Gates.

2 plastic return cups were leaking. I have a box of em so they do not anymore. Looking to be time to do them all.
May be time to go billet since I'm tired of dealing with these plastic shits.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

PhotoKirk posted:

I paid $10 to ship two screws.

Stupid Toyota uses stupid M3.5 screws for the stupid rear wiper blade on 3rd Gen 4Runners. $2.50 for the screws, $10 for shipping.

Stupid Toyota.

Hit me up next time, I'll get them for you cheaper and without ludicrous shipping. (This goes to anyone who wants Toyota oem stuff.)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Night Danger Moose posted:

Hit me up next time, I'll get them for you cheaper and without ludicrous shipping. (This goes to anyone who wants Toyota oem stuff.)

All Toyota parts or just USDM stuff?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

KakerMix posted:

All Toyota parts or just USDM stuff?

Probably just USDM stuff unless you got a part number but I can try to research on parstouq or something.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Probably just USDM stuff unless you got a part number but I can try to research on parstouq or something.

Oh yeah i'd have the actual part numbers, I wouldn't just go "its that thing, you know the one, right??"
I don't have anything I'm looking at the moment, though I do have to try to figure out what is wrong electrically with this guy:

Thankfully it can be pushed started even though it's a diesel, and electrically it isn't, on account of it being purely mechanical. Runs and drives great once you get it fired up, but electrically it's weirdly sort of dead. Lights work, but only weakly. Some fuses are blown leading me to believe someone tried jumping it as a 24v truck even though it's 12v, even though it has dual batteries (parallel, not series!). Instrument cluster will only show me the charge light indicator but won't show speed or RPM. I've had to get a few relays before for other Hiluxes so I assume it's just a more intense version of that.

Today I drove the Levin to Palmetto for cool legality inspection stuff and demonstrated that a Nissan Titan's engine is above my roof. Soon she'll have a classic plate which, in Florida, you have to wait till the car is 30 years old.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift posted:

coooooooool.

Pretty much everywhere that sells this kit has it listed as the correct part for the car, it is not, i don't know what combination of answers you have to give rockauto for them to correct it, but i apparently did not guess them. There is no way to contact them, they have no customer service. There doesn't even seem to be a way to report an incorrectly listed part.

They're just an absolute last resort now, i guess. I can still use the water pump and belt tensioner so it's only a ~$50 lesson.

Just an update to this. They covered shipping back and issued a full refund today, including most of the shipping from that warehouse. The part is still listed wrong in their listings but now specifies 4ALC engine only.

I'm satisfied with the resolution, which is good because for simple poo poo like power steering boots they're literally 1/5th of the price of local stores.

If you're able to ship it Canada you might become my new best friend. I've got a while before i save enough to tackle suspension stuff but I'm thinking every bolt in there is coming out liquid.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Thanks! I need to do LBJs at some point.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
more like what my car did to me today!

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s9boujV8N21a4kan9_720.mp4

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Oh that suuuucks, sorry.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

F

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Intermittent brake light failure on the boy’s RX8. New bulb, cleaned connector, no dice.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Just a simple oil change. I write the date and mileage on the filter with a sharpie. The one I took off said FEB 25.

I changed my process to include the year.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

Just a simple oil change. I write the date and mileage on the filter with a sharpie. The one I took off said FEB 25.

I changed my process to include the year.

I generally just write the mileage. So I'll write like 62K on it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I just leave the date the junkyard writes in paint pen. Not like it's gonna make it anyway.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've never written anything on the filter. I always write things down in the service book.

Infact I just ordered a customized notebook for me to write all my service stuff in because the factory one is now filled up. On the inside back cover I put a table for oil changes. 17 rows should be enough I hope.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I washed the Saab last night when we had above freezing temps because it had a lot of grinding dust on it from being in the shop. Of course afterwards I find two pools of water in the trunk, that I'm about to repaint with epoxy primer. Leaks coming in same place as last time it appears, from the tail lights. I've tried to seal them up before but it's not taking. The old seals are scrap I believe.

Tear them out, lots of old butyl sealant around there as well showing earlier repair attempts:

Cut of a bit and look at the profile and take some measurements. I don't know if the profile lookedd like this from the start, or if it changed into this from being compressed, but I think an O-profile might do here, 10mm.

This one is trickier, this seems to be a short, custom piece, now where the hell to get something like this.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've never written anything on the filter. I always write things down in the service book.

Infact I just ordered a customized notebook for me to write all my service stuff in because the factory one is now filled up. On the inside back cover I put a table for oil changes. 17 rows should be enough I hope.

I just have a white board in the garage that I write service stuff on. It's also where my wife trolls me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If I'm able to see the filter, which I can on some of my company's equipment, I write it (date and hrs) on the filter.
If the filter is buried somewhere in the bowels of the machine, I'll still write it on the filter, but also we've got a label maker so I'll type out "next oil change due @ XXXhrs" and paste that label next to the hour meter.

It was great when I got a new machine and the one that I was using the label maker on was given to a guy who is always saying stuff like "yeah I can't remember poo poo most of the time" and then seeing the last label I put on there was from like 700 hours ago.
At one point he decided that "the hour meter is wrong, its reading slow, I got 180 hours last month but the hour meter only went up by 60 hours"
I have to be all ":ssh: the hour meter doesn't run if the key is off, so when you're sitting in traffic for 2 hours on the way to and from the site, the drill ain't getting any hours on it".