Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Finally had the winter wheels taken off the Elantra. I got the LF off easily enough, but the LR was stuck like a son of a bitch. I yanked on it, no good. Kicked it, nothing. Whaling on it with a rubber mallet didn't work. I lowered it with the lugs off...nothing. Drove it back and forth with loosened lugs, then over a phone book a few times, then around the block for a while, aiming for every one of the numerous potholes in the neighborhood. I finally just took it to NTB, and two hours and $15 later the rest of the all-seasons are back on.

I also replaced the burned-out driver's side parking light in the TT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Yep. I was being lazy, and the fact that the wheels were stuck on there previously led to a gently caress it attitude. It doesn't get driven very much (just to work and back before 9 am and after 9 pm), but it's the only healthy car on hand to take on a trip to Ft. Knox this weekend, so the tires needed switched now.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Had the 25K-mile service done yesterday, and washed and polished the car today in preparation for a track event at Mid-Ohio coming up.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Found a pinhole leak in the FMIC of my TT. :(

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Thanks. I thought about that, but decided to have it welded just to make sure. Should get it back on Friday.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Finally replaced the bum coilpack in the TT. The spark plug was gapped between 0.35-0.40, so this was also reset to 0.30. The misfire appears cured. :)

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Changed a headlight bulb in my Elantra (that thing goes through them like crazy). Also replaced the rest of the coilpacks and regapped the other three plugs in the TT.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

FogHelmut posted:

This is my awesome breaker bar of justice.
For Chissakes, that's a breaker bar.

And I went to an autocross today. The morning was diastrous (1 clean run out of 4; 2 off-course runs), but the afternoon runs were much better. It was my second autocross of the year, and despite the improvement in the afternoon I was still slow as poo poo (26th out of 35 in the PAX results).

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Replaced the Forge 007P diverter valve in my TT with an AWE DV1. The Forge uses a piston, while the AWE has a diaphragm like the original DV in the car. The OEM diaphragms tear under higher boost (happened to me after the car was chipped in 2006), but AWE claims theirs is good to 750 hp on the 1.8T. This is a win-win due to the quicker action of the diaphragm and no need for maintenance, unlike the piston DV which requires lubing every so often.

The AWE valve has shorter nozzles (for lack of a better term) than the Forge, which makes me a bit nervous. Hope I tightened it up sufficiently. We'll see at Barber this weekend, I guess. :)

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Baby Hitler posted:

If you feel like parting with your Forge, I converted my Mazda to run on those euro Bosch units so a Forge is drop in.

I'll let you know. Right now, I'm getting compressor surge-like noises with the AWE, so I'm gonna reinstall the Forge tomorrow to see if the noise goes away when it's back in. :(

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
The Forge DV is back in, and the noise is gone. I also installed a "GadgeTT" GPS mount in the TT, which fits between the two center vents. Speaking of German overengineering, the TT vents would fit the bill I believe:

There's a flap in the vent to close it off.

The aluminum ring on the front of the vent rotates to close this flap. To do this, they have no less than four gear rings to connect the flap to the aluminum trim ring:

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

kimbo305 posted:

Are you done with the AWE DV1, or do you think you'll try to ask them if it might be defective?

I know 3 other TT people with the DV1 who don't have this issue, so I'm gonna give it another shot after seeing if anything inside it is ripped and also after giving AWE a shout. It'll be a while, though. I worked 9-9 yesterday and today, tomorrow I'm off to Barber for an HPDE weekend, then I'm working 9-9 Monday and Tuesday. :(

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Not today, but over the weekend I drove the hell out of it at VIR with Audi Club.

The picture is by the wife of a buddy who was in my run group. It was my first time in the blue group, and I was a bit intimidated going in. The faster drivers gave my turn signals a workout throughout the weekend, and there were two instances of cars dumping coolant onto the track (sending two cars into the walls), but overall I had a great time.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Ordered new wheels and tires for the TT (OZ Alleggerita in anthracite with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs) and new rotors for its Stoptechs because I also ordered Carbotech Bobcats and XP-10s to replace the Ferodo 2500s currently on the car. I also ordered some stainless brake lines for the RS 4, and it will probably be getting some Bridgestone RE-11s before winter's over.

I can't wait for spring. :(

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Finally switched the RS 4 to winter tires and street pads. I haven't driven it since I got back from VIR on November 15 since I've been lazy about changing the brakes and vacuuming the interior (the worst thing about VIR is the sandy paddock). It's a good thing, though. Here's the inside of the passenger front tire:

Looks like the TT won't be the only one getting new tires before spring.

DogDodger fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 5, 2009

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Ziploc posted:

Did you overheat those? They are still well above the wear bars. And I have no idea how you lost that little strip on the inside.

I didn't have a pyrometer, but the I kept the hot pressures coming off the track at 40 psi. No suspension work or damage (to my knowledge...) has been done since the car was aligned at Midwest Auto Group in March. I was lazy and didn't rotate the tires after the last track event, though. Mid-Ohio and VIR are both clockwise tracks, so the inside of the passenger tires see some action. The tire was inspected before VIR, and although the the left front tire's outer sidewall is rubbed down to the size information (picture taken in August), it doesn't appear as bad as this.

So, if it's not due to my laziness or simply trying to hustle a 3900+ lb car around a couple of racetracks, I dunno.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Wheels came today. :D Aesthetically, they're acceptable. They still have nine spokes, and I've gotten used to the red car/dark wheel look with the RS 4's winter setup. This look should work better on the TT due to its lesser amount of aluminum-colored trim. Functionally, though, I'll let the "Lightness Certificate" speak for itself. This is doubly beneficial since the Dunlops weigh 4 lb more apiece than the PS2s they're replacing.

OZs and Dunlops:

OEM 9-spokes and worn PS2s:

Again, I can't wait for spring. :(

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Mr.Peabody posted:

It's the Mercedes 7G-Tronic transmission.

To note, today I added the matching steering wheel.

Normally I detest wood in cars, but I like that a whole lot.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
New Bridgestone RE-11s were mounted for the RS 4 today, replacing the worn out PS2s. They should grip better, but are also heavier. So it'll be interesting to see those forces play out and how the car will feel in the turns. I can't wait for spring. :(

Old versus new:

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
New summer tires and track pads are on the RS 4; Road Atlanta with BMW Club is this weekend. This will be the first time I've driven on a track with something besides Pilot Sports...well, ever. I'm excited to see how the RE-11s do. Unfortunately, a point driven home while switching wheels tonight is that they are loving heavy. :(

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Got the new wheels on the TT today. On the short test drive, I was impressed. Acceleration, turn-in, the entire car felt crisper. What a difference 32 lb of unsprung weight makes!

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

kill me now posted:

Drove it at the wettest track day ive ever been to

Pretty cool. I've never seen (nor ever expect to see) a 300 on the track. I have seen one Magnum, but it was a rental.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I'm switching brake pads on the TT, so new rotors went on in preparation for VIR next week. The project was interrupted by a trip to Harbor Freight to track down an impact screwdriver for the rear passenger rotor. :(

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Exi7wound posted:

You need a fair sized patch of astroturf. Just drive that fucker right on it. Fairly soft, durable, and you don't get dirt and bugs in your ears.

I saw this ingenious idea in action last week at VIR, which has sand in the paddock on which to park. The guy next to us had a nice mat of faux grass large enough to keep both his C6 Z06 and lounge chair free from dirt.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Audis have no door pins at all. I'm sure they've thought that through. :)

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I swapped back to street pads and rotated the tires on the TT toady. It's sat undriven since I got back from VIR on April 21. I was satisfied with the Dunlop Direzzas after having them on the track for the first time. The got pretty greasy once overheated (and seemed to overheat faster than the PS2s they replaced; I'll have to add that to my notes), but seemed to grip well otherwise. The stiffer sidewall was definitely a bonus, as they rolled over much less than the PS2s. Here's a comparison shot between the left-front PS2 after a 1-day event at Nelson Ledges (clockwise) and a 2-day event at Summit Point Shenandoah (counterclockwise), and the left-front Dunlop after the 2-day VIR (clockwise) event. Note the arrows on the PS2 are gone, even when the pressures are kept to ~40 psi hot.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

ssh posted:

Rotors are fine, but with less than 10k on them, it's like trying to stop a loving tank.

Sounds like they were working fine. ;)

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Gotcha. As long as we're talking brakes, I swapped the Bobcats in the TT for the XP-10s in preparation for the Trackdaze event at NJMP this weekend.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
New spark plugs in the TT. On Tuesday it gets dropped off at the shop to have the Haldex fluid and engine oil changed. I don't like fluids. :(

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
My mechanic was too busy, so I changed the oil in the TT for the first time today (I'm lazy and hate working with fluids). The plastic undertray was a bitch. Twelve torx screws attach it to the bottom of the car, and four plastic screws attach it to the fender liners. Plus there are tabs to line it up with the front bumper. Getting everything lined up by myself was a pain.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Dear dealer service rep:

You're a helluva nice guy. You seem to remember my name, always compliment my car's looks when it comes in, and I appreciate your offer of that Audi ski bag you made as you passed through the waiting area. However, especially since I live an hour away, the next time I come in for a scheduled appointment for the coilpack recall, I'd appreciate if you somehow learn that they are a special order item that your parts department doesn't have onhand before I come in for my scheduled appointment for the coilpack recall.

Thanks.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Beautiful. Which exhaust and cat?

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Shifted the poo poo out of my shifter.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Got it aligned.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Changed the front rotors on the RS 4. The drat torx screw holding the rotor on the hub stripped. At least I got to maim some stuff, though.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I installed some interior bling in the RS 4 to make up for the recent brake debacle. The car was designed with a sweet flat-bottom steering wheel that featured buttons for sport mode and controls for the lap timer (visible here). That wheel only had a single-stage airbag, however, so US RS 4s got the same boring wheel as the B7 S4:

Instead of sport mode and lap timer buttons, this one comes with radio and phone controls. These are actually a lot more useful to me, especially since I don't use sport mode anymore: I no longer have a valved exhaust, and I find the throttle response in sport mode too touchy. Enter Europrice and the TT RS steering wheel, which they will import and rebadge with an RS 4 emblem. It's a nice, thick flat-bottom wheel that features the familiar radio and phone controls. The diameter isn't any smaller than the S4 wheel, but the rim is noticeably thicker, especially at 9 and 3. It's much nicer to hold.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

DropShadow posted:

Also, got new wheels. 19" Rotiform BLQs.

Interesting. I like them.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Picked it up from the shop. I'm looking forward to this weekend at Barber.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I picked up the TT from the body shop today, after they repaired it for a hit and run. I'll be going back tomorrow.

The color match on the paint looks good (at least in the garage and in the snowy, overcast weather today). However, there is some kind of overspray or something on the fender. It looked like wax or something initially, but it won't come off, and there's a distinct texture difference between this area and the unaffected paint.

Halfway home, something started rubbing during left-hand turns. While putting the winter tires on tonight, I discovered what it was. They installed a FWD rear fender liner.

One might wonder how they did that. Well, noting the obstacles in the way of mounting it in my quattro car (e.g., the shock absorber orientation), they diligently trimmed the offending material away (though not enough to keep it from rubbing on the tire here, apparently).

Also, compare this picture of the left-hand rear fender liner (that did not need replaced) with the one above, noting that there are different mounting points for a FWD and quattro rear fender liner:

How'd they solve this conundrum? By simply drilling new holes into the car, of course! Problem solved! The quattro fender liner mounting points have the circles around them in these images, and the ersatz mounting points are to the left in both pictures.

I'm decently upset by, yet at the same time grudgingly respectful of, their determination to get this FWD peg into my car's quattro hole. This is the place that has won the city paper's auto shop award every year for the last 16 years. What they lack in attention to detail they sure make up for in can-do spirit!

DogDodger fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Unfortunately, I am the Audi enthusiast within 50 miles or so. I've had a car to the local dealer's body shop and was unimpressed with their paint work. This shop was on a special list from my insurance company, and they had won those awards, so... But yeah, even if they didn't know anything about the car, it's time to learn, not just drill your own holes to mount a part that you know doesn't fit. :(