Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I've found the fender engine badges tacky. I have some V8 fender badges laying around in the garage if anyone wants them... :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Summer wheels and track pads are back on the TT, air filter is drying, and the DV will be re-greased tomorrow or Thursday. Road Atlanta is this weekend and I'm excited. :D

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Oil change in the Elantra, and put the RE-11s back on the RS 4. The WinterSports are decent for a winter tire, but it still made a world of difference. Hopefully I'll work up the motivation to put the street pads back in the TT soon.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

DropShadow posted:

Gazed longingly at my brand new wheels & tires, waiting for the day when the snow finally melts and I can take off my winter wheels.

Have we seen the details on this?

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

DropShadow posted:

Well, if you didn't like my last wheel setup (and a few here did not), then you might not like the new wheels. Same design, machined finish instead of painted silver.
I did, and I do.

quote:

edit: I also had an S-line front bumper put on, and had the grill and filler plate painted brilliant black to match. Did that a couple weeks back and forgot to post a pic. Hard to tell on a black car, but here it is.

Painting the grille and filler plate is a nice, subtle touch.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Look like it to me.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Do the halogen cars have the leveler on the rear suspension, or is that something that will have to be installed?

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Kylie Sven Opossum posted:

It is but its terrible. I measured it wrong and masked it off too soon and messed up the orange. Either that or my car rejected it since it is Chevy orange. I'm gonna have to redo it next time I get beered up.

I quite like your car.

And I cleaned up the inside of the TT and put the street pads back in today. It hasn't been driven since March 6. :(

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I like those wheels.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Changed the battery in the TT. It was confusing the alarm and causing it to go off at 3:00 AM and scare the poo poo out of me.

Also changed the oil. Containing oil draining from the filter is a PITA. :(

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Nice. Details on your TT? :) Have a shot of it closer to the Miata? Dimensionally, the Mk.2 isn't much bigger than mine, but it appears big in pictures.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Admirable Gusto posted:

Was an idiot today at Buttonwillow.

Went way too far up the rumble strip on a turn and dropped the right side of the car in the dirt in the process, which took sizable chunks out of the *inside* of the front passenger tire and wheel. Didn't notice this at the time. Later in the day, AGAIN put the right side of the car in the dirt coming out of Riverside, and smacked the front of the poor, suffering wheel straight into the kerb. The impact split the sidewall and made a three inch gash, and it bent the wheel (oh god I just bought these PS2s 2 weeks ago and replaced the wheel just 3 months ago :smithicide: )

I had a shop put a crappy all-season on the bent wheel so I could drive home, but it looks like I'm out the money for a new set of tires and at least a wheel (might go to 18" ones instead now). On the plus side, did do 2:09:4xx. Only ~4 seconds to go before hitting the limits of the car in stock form!

What car? That sucks, but the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport is out, and that could be an interesting choice. They're significantly cheaper than the PS2 for some sizes, as well.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Track pads swapped in and brakes bled on the RS 4. VIR beckons.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
The point of bedding the brakes is to get them hot to get pad material to transfer. Cooling between stops isn't recommended.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Timmy Cruise posted:

Next up: brakes.

I'm thinking ceramics (Hawk HPC) with solid rear and cross drilled front rotors... Thoughts?

No experience with those pads, but drilled rotors get a thumbs-down. They look cool, but that's it.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
That's some scary poo poo.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Did my first oil change on the RS 4 today (the maintenance plan has expired). I'm gonna bleed the brakes later tonight to prepare for NJMP. I'm so not looking forward to putting the drat belly pan back on, though. Not only does it have what seems like dozens of attachments and tabs (like the one on the TT), but you also have four cooling ducts to line up. I'll save reattaching that thing for last. :(

I also got to try out a set of Jack Point jackstands. I've always been nervous having the car on stands since there is no real good place underneath to put them. It has lifting points on the corners, but obviously one of those will be needed for the jack. So I've been using the front subframe, with which I was never really comfortable. These stands allow the car to be jacked up at the lifting points with a special pad, then the jack stand is slid around the jack and the pad is lowered onto the lip of the stand. They're pretty expensive, but a very slick design.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Ricecop69 posted:

I work at a Audi certified body shop. Every day we rack these cars on our 2 post lifts at the same points you have your stands on now (the pinch welds). It's perfectly fine to lift the car up at that point, and the soft rubber pads won't mar the rocker pinch welds. Also, the higher up you can get the car, the easier it will be to get those undercovers on. A couple extra small jack stands might help you out to get them into position.

Great looking car. I've been lucky enough to drive a few at the shop, very impressive.

Hey thanks a lot. I've thought about that, and prefer to use the pinch welds on the TT since the rubber lifting donuts tend to collapse, but the cracking the plastic on the RS 4 had me concerned. Sorry about the filthy underside. Not worries now, though. :)

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

PoopinClumpin posted:

Mounted the factory summers on my new wheels a couple of weeks ago. Did a little detailing today. This was taken right before the pollen came back again. Next will be the APR ECU flash I think.

What wheels are those? Size/weight? :)

DropShadow posted:

Then came home and ordered a catback exhaust.

What exhaust? :)

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

allonblack posted:

Put on some Dunlop Star Spec's. :swoon:

What did you have before? I like them, for what it's worth. Great wet and dry performance.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I have them on my TT and use them as summer/track tires. They won't disappoint on the track, but don't expect them to last all that long. ;)

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Augmented Dickey posted:

Oak panels for my center console!

Classy!

I drove the TT on Mid-Ohio yesterday and today for the 15th annual AudiFest HPDE. :D

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I was switching back to street pads after having the car at Summit Point over the weekend, and discovered this. The tire is still holding air, but it may be time to try the new Pilot Sports since Watkins Glen is coming up next month. Also, there's a TPMS sensor going bad apparently. The alarm is going off, sometimes several times per minute, even though all the tires are fine according to my gauge. :(

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Eat Fresh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeKs2IzuNUs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5muUG2JRPo

Flogged it around the local track with an instructor for a couple hours. Got waved by by a GT-R and Corvette Z06. Only got passed a couple times by much faster cars. I knew it would be a lot of fun and I bought the car to do this sort of thing, but now I'm completely hooked.

DE's are awesome. What Porsche are you in? Also, goddamn those trees looked close. :)

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Saw it in the September issue of European Car magazine. On page 34, that's me in the RS 4 during the rainy, foggy autocross of TT-East 2009. :)

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

DropShadow posted:

Got my exhaust installed, only to find that they missed welding the exits on the center muffler, so it's getting sent out to a welding shop tomorrow morning. Hopefully I'll be able to drive it home tomorrow night.

Which exhaust is that?

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Nicely done. I've hit three birds in flight, and all with the same car. The RS 4 has taken a strike on the windshield, one on the driver's mirror (which actually popped the glass loose), and this poor little guy. Guess the car likes poultry.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Got the windows tinted in the TT RS, and will finish bleeding the RS 4 brakes when I get back from dinner. It took some doing to get the wheels off since the tire tech apparently used a locomotive to drive the lug bolts in. :(

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
That must be like driving a teddy bear.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Washed the TT RS with Dawn to prepare for its first Zaino (first coat drying now). Also took the RS 4 in for its 45K miles service (the last free one) as well as to have an intermittent misfire and the associated CELs looked at. When I VAGed it, the car was complaining of:
008521 - Supply Voltage for Fuel Injector Group B: Open Circuit
P2149 - 998 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

000516 - Injector: Cylinder 4 (N33): Circuit Malfunction
P0204 - 004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent

006435 - Please Check DTC Memory of ECU Number 2
P1923 - 008 - Implausible Signal

The car didn't misfire on the way to the dealer, and when I got a call that the car was done they were like, "Well it's working now, so that'll be $45 for clearing the codes, please." :(

Got the license plate on the TT RS finally. The temporary one had only been expired since the 6th. WTG, DMV. Also, the parking brake cables in the Elantra snapped when I moved it out of the way of the RS 4 this morning. :doh:

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

DogDodger posted:

Also, the parking brake cables in the Elantra snapped when I moved it out of the way of the RS 4 this morning. :doh:

Finally got under it to check things out. Passenger side cable is the culprit:

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
The misfires were actually on a 4-year old VW. ;)

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Finally replaced that parking brake cable on the Elantra. The rust on the bottom of the car made the job a much bigger PITA than it needed to be. Hyundai had a recall on this car a couple years ago about the subframes rusting out due to salty northern winters. The dealer said mine was ok, but that hasn't stopped every fastener from become one with the body of the car.

This retaining clip, for instance, was my nemesis today as its entire back side was melded with the cable mount. Liberal amounts of PB Blaster, a screwdriver as an ersatz chisel, and a decent amount of sweat finally popped it loose. The three bolts holding the cable to the underside of the car were nearly as mean.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

opengl128 posted:

Signed up for my first track day, at NJMP. I am so pumped.

Which track and with which group?

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I love passing Corvettes.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I'm confused. You were trying to shift your automatic manually?

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
And now you're hooked. ;)

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

hedge posted:

My first track day.

Awesome, where was this? This was your first day ever, and you were soloed? Have fun? :)

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Conditioned the leather in the TT today. I think it's holding up decently well for a 9-year-old car with 85K miles and 33 track days under its belt.

I also recently got to do an unscientific mileage comparison between the TT's 225 hp AMU 1.8T and the TT RS's 2.5TFSI. I took the TT RS up to my parents' for Thanksgiving, a 3.5 hour trip over 2- and 4-lane highways with mostly 55 and 70 mph speed limits. It averaged a calculated 27.2 MPG. I took the ur-TT along the same route last Saturday for Christmas, and it managed 27.3 MPG.

Caveats and disclaimers: the TT RS is stock, has less than 5K miles, and was on the stock Toyo performance tires. The Mk.I is decently modified, has almost 85K miles, and was on WinterSport 3Ds. Overall, though, it doesn't seem like a bad tradeoff for a car that's up ~100 hp. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Most TT coupes (except for the limited-edition Mk.I quattro sport edition) have a back seat. It's very small, but the front seats are actually pretty roomy. There's more front head and shoulder room in a Mk.I TT than in an IS-F, for instance.

Here's a better shot of the Mk.I back seat:

And on the Mk.II TT: