Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

This is what the newer Toyota OEM looks like and what I have on the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Oh, I also still have to pump out an entire tank of E95. gently caress.
That looks so good in there.

For pumping out the tank can you get access to the fuel pump easily? We pumped out the tank of the E30 this spring by connecting a jump box to the fuel pump this disconnected the connection at the fuel rail and diverted it into some five gallon jugs. Was pretty painless but it is a much older car.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Exocets are so much fun, light cars are the best

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd rather not have a fire incident. :)

Have you considered installing a fire system? Not sure if the group you race with requires it but it's reasonably cheap insurance. Put a couple nozzles in the engine bay, one at you and one at the fuel system.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

Washed this one too :3:

Stripwash, claybar, polished the headlights and ceramic. I need to refinish the wheels someday soon. I have a ridiculous plan involving spinning them on a unit bearing hub and sanding them to keep the same machined scratch pattern as stock.

I really need to polish my headlights. How are your batteries holding up? Those are such good little cars.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

100k mile (99960) oil change, quick jack continues to be excellent and worth the couple minutes to drag out and position.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Brake/fuel line flare talk... the correct type of flare is very important for things to work right and last. Most parts stores have anywhere from garbage to mostly-usable flare tools for rent. Make sure you take your time, prepare the ends (clean up and lube) and put the fitting on first.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

STR posted:

Only to replace with another cheap basketcase (1 year newer, about 35k more miles, but I have a funny feeling it might be slightly more reliable - and won't get me pulled over constantly... or actively lower property values everywhere I go)

That seems like a pretty decent upgrade, has got to be better in almost every way. Every time someone asks me for advice on a comfortable commuter that gets reasonable mpg I recommend a prius, if they're anti-hybrid I tell them to go find a used lexus with a dealership maintenance history.

BlackMK4 posted:

For fun, this is a 355mm setup under a 17" wheel. You could absolutely get it to clear with a bit of grinder time or very, very specific (custom since 5x100 wheel choice is literal dogshit) wheel choice.

Looks like a self clearancing problem to me, send it

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

First oil change on the 4Runner yesterday, wife did most of the wrenching and I walked her through the process. Labeled everything with torque values for next time.

Then we went and got ice cream!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Oil change day ... got it all in the pan but it dumped out so fast it splashed out. Quickjack continues to be excellent.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Raluek posted:

went offroading with it this weekend!

this trail doesn't look like much, and technically it's a long-rear end driveway to some fairly remote property, but it was a challenge! one slightly wrong tire placement and i smack the headers or oil pan into the ground. i'll have to measure its minimum clearance, but i think it's around 2" (bottom of headers to ground).

near the top of the hill where this photo was taken, the path is still fairly well maintained, but further down it's got tons of ruts and washouts from water runoff. hell, even on the maintained (gravel) highway this connects to, i scraped once or twice when i wasn't careful.

i really need to fix my jeep so i stop doing poo poo like this to my car, lmao

:perfect: Alternatively you could get a little more ground clearance and some meaty tires

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

We pulled a couple strange engines on Saturday, now my friend gets to spend the winter sourcing parts and rebuilding as well as all the other work to get these back on the road.

NSU Ro80

NSU tt1200

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Good part about brake fluid is water soluble so you can just hose everything off when you're done. I keep a spray bottle nearby when doing brakes in case things get coated and slippery.

I have all the parts to replace the entire front brake system on the Ford, I'll get to it one of these days.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

New tires for the 7, going with something more appropriate for road use in the cold wet months. It should wake the car up a bit as well sitting a bit higher and having a bit less grip. Previous is Toyo r888r in 225/45R13 being replaced by Vredestein Sprint Classic in 185/70R13. I almost went with Vred's in 205 width but the 185 is very close to the "factory" size for this car.

Keeping the r888r for track days if they ever happen.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Truck hasn't been running right for a couple weeks now but it's only used for trash runs and taking the dog to the park so didn't worry about it too much. Have this week off so I pulled it into the garage to let it warm up before diving in. It took a half hour to pull it ahead ~10ft, do a 5 point turn and pull into the garage. Was thinking maybe it was the duraspark unit or something on the carb but decided to check the plugs after I saw checking for a stuck float wasn't going to be a quick/easy job. Plugs were a little crusty.

Working on truck while short isn't fun

I'm surprised it ran as well as it had been. New plugs and it fired up on first crank and idled better than it has in years.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

chrisgt posted:

I have to use a ladder to work on my K30 and i'm 6ft tall.

I kind of want one of these, i just don't want to store it.

Hmm my also short brother works on Land Rovers, maybe I'll see if I can get Dad to go in on one of those with me for his birthday.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Just got a delivery for the 911

It’s got the LN Engineering extended oil pan so it takes 12 quarts

It doesn’t need an oil change til spring, but better to be prepared…

Did the same on the Cayman, extended sump and skid plate. Driving around our garbage roads and occasional gravel section the skid plate has paid for itself. Running the same oil, expensive but that's p-cars.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Then it was just a matter of very simple disassembly and a bit of ultrasonic and a pipe brush followed by some compressed air to dry.

What ultrasonic cleaner do you have and how do you like it?

Suburban Dad posted:

Another dumb fastener I didn't know existed. Why?!?
Why are you wrenching on vehicles you own when you could be supporting the "local" dealership chain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

This is from a few weeks ago:effort: Car was starting but not able to move under it's own power. We tracked it back to a sheared woodruff key on the crank. Found a match at tractor supply then did about a foot in 1st and reverse before running out of premix. Need to find proper oil and premix ration, the manual calls for leaded and straight weight oil, then get some tires ordered before I can properly test it around the neighborhood.

Inspection over off

Yup that would be the problem

What's left of it

Here's an exhaust

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 14, 2024