Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I started to put the new Robbins top on my miata frame that I took off last week, but failed. I need larger rivets cause I drilled out the old ones with too large of a bit. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Finished install the top on the miata yesterday, will begin on doing the clutch this week and hopefully wrap it up by Saturday.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

With a little help from a goon I got the transmission off the Miata today. The pilot bearing was making a nasty sound so it's getting replaced and a new clutch installed. The car only has 86k and the clutch I pulled off still looked almost new. All this for a $10 bearing...Also broke an exhaust stud off and rounded the other one, so the exhaust is dangling. Still need to get that nut off and then remove the studs for some bolts and nuts instead. I hate drilling out broken bolts. :suicide:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

"Filled" the transmission after doing my clutch job, hoping to be able to drive the car. I didn't get enough fluid. :suicide: Probably go pick up another bottle of MT-90 tomorrow and see if I messed anything else up and try and drive it. I still need to drill out some broken exhaust bolts, so I'll probably be driving it around the block for the test drive with an open header. :)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Finally got the miata back together after about two weeks of replacing the clutch. I only did it after work through the week since weekends are pretty well booked. Next on the list:

Oil change
Diff. fluid change
Rollbar install (in the mail)
foamectomy
swap over azenis 615's and hopefully do a track day before the season is over. :)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Stripped out the interior of the miata to get it ready for putting in the rollbar tomorrow. Cut out a bit of sheet metal and just removed plastic junk basically.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Had me wondering :wtc: the copper was. Makes sense though I guess.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Vanagoon posted:

What's the matter with you? I am hereby revoking your man card, you will be required to turn it in no later than ten days after the revocation date. :colbert:

Seconded. :colbert:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well...let's see. There's a auto-x/mini track day (go cart course that's big enough for cars, but no huge long straights to get up to really high speeds) so I worked to get the Miata ready for the first real event since I bought it.

-Got roll bar bolted in.
-trimmed interior panels and carpet for said roll bar.
-put SFI padding and vinyl cover on roll bar.
-took apart driver's seat and cut out some foam so I'd sit a little lower. Without a helmet I'm below it, with one I'm above. gently caress.
-reinstalled rest of interior.
-new rear brake pads and e-brake adjustment.
-swapped wheels/tires with my civic since I bought the miata with lovely tires on it and the civic has azenis 615's on it.
-put redline fluid in the diff.
-changed the oil for the first time with some pennzoil platinum. The oil filter had a date of 12/28/08 on it written by the PO. :rolleyes:
-Cut off the downpipe heat shield since it's been rattling like crazy and removed the bracket for it that had a broken bolt on it (wasn't doing anything since the bolt was snapped).
-vacuumed out the inside. Still needs washed tomorrow before the event.
-Patched a small hole in the top

It's been a long day. After all this and there's a chance of rain tomorrow. :( Hopefully it stays nice and I get to spin out a few times while I get acquainted with this thing. (1994 Miata R package)

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 6, 2009

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Bought an exhaust for it so it no longer deafens me, rattles, or smacks up against some suspension bracing underneath. Yay stock style ebay catback for $145 shipped.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

DreamOn13 posted:

Bought an exhaust for it so it no longer deafens me, rattles, or smacks up against some suspension bracing underneath. Yay stock style ebay catback for $145 shipped.

Installed said exhaust using my new impact wrench and compressor. Only had to remove a little suspension brace but I wish there were more than 6 bolts to spin off at lightning speed. I'm never working on my car without an impact again. :smug: gently caress that.

The car now however sounds as quiet as a camry, which is nice since it doesn't rattle or bang up against poo poo anymore but it doesn't have the deeper sound of running with a rusted out muffler. One guy asked me if I swapped a rotary into it at a car meet because of it. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Tried to replace an outer tie rod on MY GIRLFRIEND's 99 grand am. Couldn't get the nut off the last turn or so, so I cut it off. Now I can't get the tie rod unthreaded from the steering arm. :suicide: Going to try and acquire a torch to heat that bastard up.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Got the outer tie rod off MY GIRLFRIEND's car. It took 2 pipe wrenches to get the bastard off...Then I realized I was undoing a nut that was just threaded on the rod, and the actual tie rod was a separate piece. :doh: It probably would have came off a lot easier had the torque being applied to the tie rod actually been applied to the tie rod rather than through friction between the two pieces. Note to self: Look at the new part/better inspect parts before taking off the old part. At least the drat car is finished and now just needs aligned.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Noise Complaint posted:

I removed the stupid "Boost gets you laid" stickers the PO put on my SVO. What the hell is wrong with people. That was a giant pain in the rear end.

"Yes, females. This is why you should have sex with me." I have a feeling 99 out of 100 girls don't know what boost is, so I doubt it does much for them.

As for content, I dropped the miata off insurance (kept comp. I guess?) since I took it off the road yesterday. Hopefully it turns awesome over the winter, I've got a lot of plans for it. Mostly just suspension stuff though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Sanded down the rust in the wheel well, and painted over it with some black paint. Waiting a couple days to put some undercoating on over that. Also I pulled the seats out of the miata in preparation for the Corbeau's that are going in, and pulled the rear deck carpet to replace with a better piece with less holes in it. I think the PO put a style bar in the car and cut the carpet where necessary. I found another one that was uncut and now I just have to hack it so it goes around my roll bar nicely. Should look better when all said and done.

Still to go this winter...
-replace radiator and hoses
-timing belt and water pump
-paint valve cover
-brake pads all around
-install frame rail braces
-coilovers? shock mounts? new wheels?

Money pit. :suicide:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Sat at a stop light and a semi was making a left turn onto the road I was on, so I let the car roll back a bit to give him more room. That's when I heard a horn and I rolled back into another car. :doh: Didn't do any damage to her car though at least, I think I lost some more paint off my beater.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Painted the valve cover and it turned out like poo poo. :suicide: Tomorrow I get to buy some aircraft stripper and sandpaper to prep it properly and hopefully get the wrinkle coat to look right.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

On Saturday I put my HP+ pads on the rear, until one of the calipers started pissing fluid. :( $63 later I have a nice non-rusted rear caliper on one side. Still needs to have the whole fluid system flushed with some RBF600, but I'll get to that eventually before spring.

Also, got my new seats today. :neckbeard:

Note the rear view mirror in it's new home in the driver's seat...It's a large box in a tiny car (99 Civic).

It's like opening presents on Christmas. 2 new Sparco Sprint V's.

Test fitting.

They look awesome in the car and just barely fit my large rear end. I sat down in them to test fit and when I got up they came with me. :laugh:

It looks like I'm going to have problems getting under the roll bar though still. I'm probably going to hack off the rear seat mounts and see how much lower that gets me. Probably only another inch or so, but it may be enough. Otherwise, I may have to get a taller roll bar. So...anybody want to trade for a Hard Dog Hardcore Hardtop double diagonal roll bar? I'd need the non hardtop version. (94 Miata, in Cincinnati)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Sterndotstern posted:

Removing the rear seat mounts will also recline the seats, buying a little extra room. I have a Pro 2000 in my ITA/H4 Honda CRX and had to do the same thing to reclaim that extra inch of headroom I needed for my helmet. If you have any fabrication tools, strongly consider fabbing your mount with large backing plates under the floor isntead of reusing the factory mounts.

I thought I read for harnesses mounts your need 4"x4" backing plates, but this is just a seat here. I'm unsure what size would be acceptable for the rear mounts for when it gets bolted to the floor. In a crash I'd think the belts would be taking on most of the load, not the seat. I'd rather be on the safe side though...Any suggestions?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Changed the oil in the shitbox, and put on my new Bosch H4 headlights from Flyin' Miata. Too bad I still can't drive it for another month or two.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Removed the busted rear end Koni sports and stock springs from my Miata. Air tools kicked this job's rear end. All 4 corners were off in less than 1.5 hours, with a good deal of that spent "cocking about."

I was going to put my coilovers on and have that all set to go, only to find out I'm missing 4 little spacers for my bilsteins that are $15 and I won't get them until mid week. :( I need to get this drat car back on the road. Hopefully by next weekend.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Installed my GC coilovers, FCM shock mounts and bump stops, and the stock R package Bilstein's (94 Miata) on my car the other day. I ran out of time and still need to set the ride height on all 4 corners. Then comes the new end links up front, putting the interior back together, topping off the coolant, crossing my fingers that it will start after being disabled all winter, bedding the brakes, getting it aligned, and getting the new tires put on. Hopefully by next week.

Turns out the PO removed the bump stops completely when he put the Koni sports on, which now makes sense. The shock rods were bent from bottoming out and therefore were no longer adjustable. Apparently the R package cars ride on the bump stops almost continually, so that's probably why they were boned in less than 15k miles. The car rode like garbage and every little bump in the road felt like a pothole swallowed the car. Another guy on the miata forums bought them for his GRM 2010 car for $150 (knowing what was wrong with them) so we're both happy.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Was in the middle of replacing my clutch and trans and found a hole in the oil pan. :( It's between the bell housing and engine, not sure what happened but the engine has to come out b/c there's a cross member in the way.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dropped the engine and trans back in. Still need to hook up the driveshaft, exhaust, intake, radiator, and put some fluids in it, but it should be running with the new engine by the end of the weekend. I hope. :suicide:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I flushed the coolant about 10 goddamn times and burnt my hand during one of those because it was still blazing hot. I just put in a junkyard engine that runs great, only problem is that it sat for a bit and the cooling passages are nasty and rusty. Ran some Prestone Super Clean stuff in there and hoped after a flush or two it would be clear. It still looks like hot chocolate. :barf:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I buffed it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Finally managed to get the fill plugs undone and changed the tranny and diff fluids on my Miata. Everything went smoothly and I feel much better about driving it now, but if there's one thing you don't want to see on the floor once the car is lowered, it's this:

Hook up a shop vac to the oil fill tightly and take out the drain bolt. No oil spilled and it's back on.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Exhaust broke on the way home, right at the front of the cat. It's the stock exhaust from 1999, and being in Chicago, Ohio, and Michigan for the better part of it's life, it's pretty well entirely hosed. I keep running into one piece that I can't take off because of rust welded fasteners, so basically the entire thing is coming off from the head...and all the way back to the muffler. All of it is getting replaced except the header. One oxygen sensor post cat wouldn't come out, haven't tried the other yet.

This sort of poo poo is miserable.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

DreamOn13 posted:

Exhaust broke on the way home, right at the front of the cat. It's the stock exhaust from 1999, and being in Chicago, Ohio, and Michigan for the better part of it's life, it's pretty well entirely hosed. I keep running into one piece that I can't take off because of rust welded fasteners, so basically the entire thing is coming off from the head...and all the way back to the muffler. All of it is getting replaced except the header. One oxygen sensor post cat wouldn't come out, haven't tried the other yet.

This sort of poo poo is miserable.
I spent ~$320 to get a stock exhaust and 2 new o2 sensors. The sensors were probably $110 total. A ricer full exhaust including manifold to muffler on ebay is $150. :wtc: I don't think I could live with that though, the car is bad enough to drive with a quiet exhaust. I had to buy some nut extractors for one stubborn bastard nut but luckily it worked taking it off on the first try. Otherwise it should be ready once my 3 different parts orders come in...

Also today I fixed some front end clunks on another car. I didn't tighten the top shock nuts (not the mount, the one on the shock itself) enough on the first pass a couple weeks ago when they were installed. It rides much better now. :doh:

And I'm doing MY GIRLFRIEND's front brakes tomorrow on her Outback. Another day sweating my balls off. :supaburn:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Today I painted a couple wheels. I did it outside, in the wind. They don't look great and have a few runs but are much better than before. I filled in the curbed areas with bondo and prepped them decently, but to no avail because I just spray bombed them anyway. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I bought some winter wheels/tires for my car last year before winter. They needed balanced, and the wheels were a hideous green color (car is a silver 99 honda civic beater), but I don't give a poo poo so I didn't bother. Today I decided to go and get them balanced finally after taking a 5 hour drive with the steering wheel making my hands go numb. My dad was with me and knew the guys in the shop and jokingly told them to paint the terrible green wheels. I came back and $27 later I had black wheels that don't shake. Obviously just spray bombed but I thought they were just kidding. Much improved.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I changed the oil in my beater Civic today. It's been raining all weekend so the ground was nice and wet to lay around on. I couldn't find the source of the clunk in the front end while it was up there, but it probably needs everything (166k miles).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

This wasn't near as bad as I was expecting. Timing belt, water pump, idler pullies, thermostat all replaced.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Sir Cornelius posted:

I can see several reasons not to. It's not only his daily drive but also an absolutely necessary tool for his work and income. He'll probably need some income to finally actually own it in half a decade.

Let me make my own decisions, Dad!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Sir Cornelius posted:

That's a intergranular brittle zone fracture, so changing the rest of those studs is probably a very good idea.

Failure mechanics are so interesting. :allears:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I changed out the shift knob while driving in stop and go traffic. I must have hit something on the cig lighter to cause the fuse to blow but didn't notice until today. The heated seats stopped working this morning, which needed fixed ASAP. Michigan :argh:

So today, I replaced a fuse. :effort:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

Now that I think about it though, I think you can only convert if you're boosted.

You thought about that long and hard I'm sure. What does being boosted have to do with running E85? There are plenty of NA cars that run E85. Flex fuel, anyone? It's not really going to give much of a gain unless you're boosted or running high compression like the guy above though.

I would say think before you post but that obviously doesn't do much.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 22, 2013

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Was about to wrap up the front brakes, then realized I was sent the wrong rotors. Awesome.

Went ahead and did the rears which were correct. This is the 2nd strike for rock auto sending me the wrong stuff.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

General_Failure posted:

Are those rotors way smaller diameter or something? That's terrible. Earlier year model discs?

Yep, about 3/4" too small in diameter. I've got a Saab 9-2X and nobody realizes it's the exact same car as a WRX so getting parts is always like this. I need to just say it's for a WRX and end the problems. But it looks like what they gave me is for a regular Impreza or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Did the front brakes with the correct rotors this time and knocked out that rear sway bar install waiting on two new end links from Rock Auto.