Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

enojy posted:

Repaired some cosmetic damage on my bumper (kissed a pole last week.) I didn't take any "before" pictures, but here's an after. It was a volleyball-sized black scuff which appeared to be through the clearcoat and paint, and two chips which were definitely through the paint. After a whole shitload of scrubbing with various soaps and some gentle polishing compound applique, followed by the dealership's touch-up paint, I'm left with this, which is completely invisible from more than 5 feet away. Success!

I bet some light wet sanding, followed with more polishing, would make it even better.

Here's what I did today - 2 months in the making, but it should be good for at least 50HP:

(2 months in the making because it was back ordered and took 2 months to ship, but at least my car doesn't look like an RC car anymore. Now the question is how long until some other Z owner jacks it while I'm parked somewhere.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Do you have a GS300/400/430? What year? I wasn't sure how common the problem was, but my wife's GS is now 7 years and 70k miles old, so I'm thinking of taking care of the ball joints preemptively.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

ab0z posted:

put the front of the car on jackstands securely. vigorously attempt to shake the wheels in a couple different directions, and do the same with both ends of the tie rods. If there is any play or even minor clunking, just replace all ball joints and tie rods at the same time with OEM parts.

I've seen what happened to his car happen to 3 other cars in the past month, all different makes and models (none of them infiniti).

It's actually a known problem for Lexus GS models, but I wasn't sure if it got better later in the years or not. Going to have to check it out Thursday.

*edit*

Changed engine oil and different oil, then replaced the grill in my front fascia, which had fallen out then got run over (my car came with an after market front fascia). Never again shall I replace the grill - getting the clips on that hold it in place took hours, I'm just going to pay someone to do it if it ever falls off. My neck is all jacked up from pushing with all my might at awkward angles too.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 19, 2010

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Good news! New lower joints installed on both sides, oil change done a bit early, and there was no serious damage to the body. The loose piece of trim just needed some gentle hammering/shaping and screwed right back in to where it went before.

That's great! It always looks so bad when they fail, especially since the wheel ends up pointing perpendicular to the direction the car is going.