Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Vanagoon posted:

It's a spoon! And... it's tooooo big!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuOvqeABHvQ

How do you see a balloon? how would go go with a balloon? what?

It's a reference to Don Hertzfeldt's other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Clutch suddenly refused to disengage fully while many miles from home. Limped it home, dropped the transmission (a big transmission) and;

Something is wrong with this picture

Oh, that's it. The centering springs broke and got caught in the pressure plate and refused to let the clutch disengage.

Pretty big :smug:

Going to end up being a minimum of about $900 to get it back on the road.

(2000 F550)

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Limped it home through huge city traffic jams with a dead/dying alternator.

My heat kept turning on and off and kept moving the dampers around when I'd come to a stop, turn signals didn't work but would flick on by themselves, no brake lights..

Now I've got to have my dad pick up an alternator and bring me tools, because I'm at school.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Rear brakes were suddenly making some bad noises, so I did a quick run to the parts shop.

Turns out they were pretty bad :v:

The passenger side rotor was stuck on the parking brake, which has never worked. Both sides, it seems, had been dragging for some time. I turned the adjusters all the way in and they're not a problem anymore. The calipers were still fine, thankfully.

It was time for the near 200k mile oil change, so I got some GENUINE FORD MOTORCRAFT PARTS AND LUBRICATION and some lovely wipers

Cleaned up the engine bay a little. I wish I'd cleaned the goddamned camera lens and taken before pictures.
New alternator as well. It took a poo poo in the middle of a crowded city a few days ago and it was kind enough to shut off the fuel pump as I was about to put the car in park 20 minutes later. It was going to rain on the way home as well, so I had a sweltering drive home with the windows up, dripping with sweat through anxiety about the car wanting to shut off and the heat.

And then a cool bug landed on my hand.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 13, 2009

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

That strap will probably work, he just needs to pull upward.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Sup WES51 buddy :smug:

I tried to polish my headlight lenses to no avail. They're so clouded that it's bordering on frightening driving at night. I'm going to go to the picknpull tomorrow to try and find some that are in better shape. That or find some better way of polishing.
I need to get it up in the air and figure out why I suddenly have a little bit of play in the steering, which is horribly annoying.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Vanagoon posted:

Allow me to butt in if I may:

Did you try Plast-X?
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G12310

Great stuff. I am a huge believer in this blue goo. I've brought back many a headlight from the brink of being useless with it. You can get it at Auto Zone too if you don't want to order it online. Not much of a risk if it doesn't work because it's like $7 a bottle.

I didn't, I tried some relatively generic headlight polishing kit that I was skeptical of in the first place.

I'll pick up some of that stuff tomorrow and see if it works :)

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

So, driving home from work I suddenly hear a rythmic scraping noise, sounds horrible, gets worse when I turn. Within about 2 seconds I fear the worst and assume my diff is about to explode. Can't see anything horrid, wheels don't wiggle, I have no other option than to just start moving again and if it stops moving, it must be the diff.
I manage to get all the way home, and the problem is stupidly intermittent. Finally end up hearing several enormous clunking noises and the drivers rear wheel locks up briefly in the driveway.

I had a problem a week or two ago with the parking brakes while doing the pads and rotors. One hung up a little and the other refused to let go of the rotor (gouged a groove into the inside). I just adjusted them very far in so they wouldn't hang and didn't care otherwise.

Well apparently one broke loose and exploded!

Popped off the rotor and everything fell out.

I should mention that about a day or two ago my ABS started engaging on dry stops, so I just yanked the fuse and decided to pull a wiring harness out of a junkyard car and some new sensors to fix it later. It seems that a shorted wire wasn't the problem.

or well, a bad sensor really was the problem.

All fixed sans ABS, traction control and emergency brakes. Winter will be a whole lot more fun this year, particularly with my horrid and aging michelin harmony piece of poo poo 80k all seasons.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Mr. Toast posted:

I've had too much scary crap happen to me in the winter due to bad tires. If you can squeeze the funds get some new all seasons like Falken Ze912's or some winter tires. Tires really are the most important part of the car. Hell, some lightly used winter tires should be cheap as hell.

I've been checking Crownvic.net occasionally for a set of steel wheels that'll fit properly, but only halfheartedly. I've gone through 3 winters with these tires and haven't died or crashed yet, although getting places can be hilariously slow/fun.

If it survives this winter and on, it's getting Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions. I'll be driving panther bodies for as long as I can find them, so if it explodes 10 seconds after I buy tires, it's not too big a deal.
It's a hell of a beater car. Got it for $350 and dropped in a $500 junkyard engine and it's survived to 200k thus far.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

GODDAMN HEATER CORE

My vents suddenly started puking an evil mist again after my Dad, little brother and probably 10 other people tried to do it about 3 years ago while I was away at college. Parts suck, so I get to do it again.

They disassembled the entire dash and seemed to lose about 1 nut for every 5 that was holding the dash together (and probably every clip in the car). So this time I'm doing it the less insane way. I just dropped the column and pulled enough off the dash to bring it out a little ways.
After fighting with the weather I got the core out amidst driving back and forth from my parents house to school to work and having no time to work on it. I had to pull off both door panels so I could shut the doors because I have to keep leaving the car in a state of disassembly.

I replaced the blend door actuator too. It'll be nice to actually have varying degrees of air instead of REALLY HOT ALL THE TIME, and later in the process of broken heating equipment, REALLY HOT AIR ALL THE TIME THAT IS FULL OF ANTIFREEZE MIST.

e: Also panther body dashes are heavy as all hell.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 6, 2009

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

If this doesnt work, then gently caress it, I'll manually close the blend door so that I have heat. Its winter and that's all I need anyway.

:smith::hf::smith:

I had to pull my dash apart to do the heater core, and I put in a new blend door actuator while I had it apart because before my heater core exploded, I had nothing but heat.

Got everything back together and there aren't any leaks, but the motherfucking blend door isn't moving, and it's stuck on cold. I've got to pull the dash off again and figure out what the hell is wrong. What makes it particularly horrible is the only way to test is to put the dash back together, and if I don't fix it the first time..

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I'm going to try to run the HVAC controls with the dash out. I didn't do it before because I was already under the assumption that I'd fixed it. I'll have to hold up the column and plug the ignition and such back in.

Also, I had the battery cable off when I did it, and I threw it back on and as I recall I didn't start it at first checked all the dash lights.
I didn't see anything mentioned on crownvic.net about a restart procedure but I'll check again.

I suppose there's a possibility that I knocked off a vacuum line, too. I actually have no idea how the whole vacuum/plenum/crazyness operates.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Sponge! posted:

Hope and blood and tears and duct-tape usually.

Seriously, if I can't fix it this time, I'm going to thread some mechanics wire and a coathanger to the end of the blend door so I can reach over under the passenger side dash and adjust the heat.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Sponge! posted:

Get a gearshift thing off of a bicycle... Working adjustable ratio blend door.

This is starting to sound like a cooler idea than actually fixing it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Got halfway through fixing the lack of heat. Again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKXCaYMbRLs

e: It's not the best forum, but they're damned helpful sometimes.
http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1932217#Post1932217

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 12, 2009

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Hypnolobster posted:

Seriously, if I can't fix it this time, I'm going to thread some mechanics wire and a coathanger to the end of the blend door so I can reach over under the passenger side dash and adjust the heat.

Sponge! posted:

Get a gearshift thing off of a bicycle... Working adjustable ratio blend door.
Update!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPMbdTpC9Tw
today I finished my blend door fixing. I'm getting REALLY GOOD at taking the dash out of the car now! Second time in about 3 weeks, and it took about an hour to pull it off this time and about 30 minutes to put it back up.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 15, 2009

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Hit a SON OF A BITCH DEER WITH IT AT 40 SOMETHING MILES AN HOUR.

Hood, left light, left side mirror, radiator support, front cowl, radiator and AC condenser are hosed. The left fender is a little hosed, but it might survive.

Anyone have an intact front end for a white 99 civic? :smith:

I can not WAIT for hunting season.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

FIXED IT.

I've been having a ground issue that was making the oil pressure holy poo poo light come on and vary wildly. This is right after replacing a toasted fuel pump relay wire that caused a lot of headaches.

Yesterday the ground problem got ridiculous, and the car wouldn't start unless you fiddled around a lot and got the dash to turn on (although it would always crank, but other things wouldn't work, namely blinkers and windows and such).

The little lightbulb above the head turned on finally, and I realized that if it'll crank no problem, not start and the windows are slow/stop, the body ground is broken.

Sure enough, it was just barely resting against a busted ring terminal. The whole car was trying to ground through the engine. The tab on the cowl that the engine strap is connected to was hot to the touch and the paint around it was black :v:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Holy cow. How long will it take to feel like you've "paid it off?"

I can't speak for him, but if you've already got a radar detector like a 9500 or V1 and you do a lot of driving at questionable speeds, the $700 for a laser jammer would pay itself off really quickly.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

This is how my day's been going.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klqNUY1cDAg
About 20 minutes after disassembling both sides, taking out the backing plates and hammering the star adjuster holes flat and welding a ring around them so they don't tear out anymore, I got a gigantic headache and nearly passed out in the garage.
I'm assuming the fumes got to me.

:v:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Changed the oil On the Baja bug. I'd been wondering why there was oil on the rear tube bumper and the bottom of the motor, and it turns out the drain plug was a little loose. I put some thread tape on it to be double sure, then snugged it down good. Also gave the back side of the car a wipe down...

People actually use the drain plug on T1 motors? I've always just taken the whole strainer plate out and cleaned everything. That big drain plug always seemed too easy to strip to me.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Judging by the Vegemite, stopping your ute after a drunken burnout can be a little sketchy. I'm sure big brakes help.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

That's a stock wing.

It's sort of hideous, but stock.

e: beaten

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Guinness posted:

I've seen this just turn into the even worse situation of having a piece of mangled, oily shrapnel stuck to the side of your engine.

This is always what as happened to me.

The solution has just been to use one of those chainsaw chain scary bastard strap wrenches to remove it, and then just only do the oil myself from then on.

Strap wrenches shouldn't be sold without a 2 day training course in why they should never be used to screw on oil filters.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I checked the fluids, and popped open the aircleaner on a whim.

I opened it all up at once and about 2 handfuls of nuts fell into the throttlebody :v:

Then spent 10 minutes vacuuming out the intake, filter and the rest of the engine bay.

Apparently, squirrels really really like beater civics.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Bought it, stripped ungodly enormous amounts of wood shelving out of it and started the fun process of stripping the whole thing down.

It's an 80's Grumman with a TBI 350 and a Turbo 400 and some enormous rear axle. It's essentially a (very rotted) steel truck frame, engine/tranny/rear end and the entire rest of the thing is aluminum. Whole drat thing.

We had to dual comealong the goddamned thing (using the snatch blocks) onto the trailer and got all tired out doing that in the 90 degree sun, and then knocked out the interior in record time and got worn out standing on top with sawzalls.
It'll be a fun weekend.

e: even that bigass rear bumper is aluminum. It's crazy.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Getting this truck operational. It's sat for about 5 years with 1 year of use inbetween. Lots and lots of cleaning and getting rat pee smells out (wasn't fun), and now rebuilding the hitch. 1 ton, 1995, 350ci, 2wd. It's lived just about the hardest life a truck can.

Rear brake seized a bit, so just teeter-tottered it up with a tractor and the double hitch + a bolt method.

Untouched motor, transmission rebuilt at 250k. Original ball joints, 2nd rear main seal, first rad, etc. :getin:

The problem

Weld the frame plates to the bench, cut the tube out, clad the frame plates and drop in a piece of 3.5" 3/8" wall box tube, repierce the receiver hitch back in and gusset the tube to the plates.

Got to get it stripped down to the frame and sandblast and repaint with POR15. Going to pick up cab corners and rebuild that, then buy doors and fenders and paint it all. Bed needs to be replaced someday, but it's still functional so who cares.

never give up

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 15, 2012

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Got some nice new upper control arms for my 99 beater Civic. Easy, 20 minute per side job, tops. Pull the stuff in the way in the engine compartment, knock the wheel off, knock the ball joint out and unbolt two bolts from the engine compartment.

Piece of cake, takes 10 minutes.

New one goes in and the goddamned taper won't go into the knuckle easily like they sometimes do, so I put the wheel back on and drop the car down and then the GODDAMNED BALLJOINT THREADS STRIP.

Now the castle nut is halfway on and won't go on or off and the taper isn't seated, so it's time to cut it off with a grinder and buy a new control arm.

loving taiwanese/chinese/etc poo poo parts.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

I mounted this.

Classic set the car on fire fuel filter detected.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Truck got the transmission rebuilt for a second time. This time, the old guy at the shop did the rebuild instead of the young guy :v:

Old transmisson rebuild (solenoid sticking in the valvebody somewhere made it shift far too early, and it wouldn't downshift into 2nd past ~35mph)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfPKRgl3YH0

New rebuild!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHhvv09XCVc

It's a 3/4 ton, 4.10 gear, big block, and still has the old horrifying energy crisis intake and (probably) cams. New intake and cams are going in whenever we get around to it. It needs a new speedo gear, too. The giant rear tire means that 65 is more like 60, and 70 is more like 63.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 17, 2012

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

You guys probably get as much snow as we do if not more and I know I wouldn't really want to drive that thing around in the winter, between all the douchenozzle dualie pickups blasting through the snow at top speed and the light weight/RWD+ice equation.

:colbert:

Lightweight, rwd and snowtires is the greatest winter combination known to man. More fun in winter is not possible.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Shod the spare set of rims I've had lying around for 2 years with some snow tires.

I'm so excited about finally having snow tires :3:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

:psyduck: I didn't notice at all

I was going to get General Altimax Arctics instead of the winterforce, but this is what the tire shop had, and winter tires are winter tires.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

When I used to sell tires, the Winterforces would fly off the shelves. One of the rare tires we never heard a complaint about. Hope your luck is as good! What are they going on?

Beater 99 Civic. Should be a pretty fun winter for once.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When I think fun in the snow, I think open diff FWD. :v:

But seriously, it's nice having "oh god am I going to die on this icy corner" lifted off your shoulder so you can focus on "jesus christ how can nobody else drive in this loving poo poo?"

You should do local rallycross events if you have any.

Yeah, that's more of the fun I was thinking of.

I looked for rallycross events the moment I decided that I could afford snowtires this year, but didn't find any.

Really though winter is pretty fun regardless of the vehicle, as long as there's no immediate danger of death. My former 98 grand marquis with hard, mostly bald 89k allseasons was a blast most of the time.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Spent a ridiculous amount of time replacing the steering rack, ball joints, rear wheel bearings, shift rod stabilizer bushings and probably a couple other things I'm forgetting. Dropped the spindles to have the parts store press in new wheelbearings too.

Had to drop the exhaust, shift rod and the stabilizer to get the stupid rack out. Not as bad as some rack replacements, but it wasn't terribly fun. Welded the heat shields back together and fixed a crack in the manifold from some jerk overtightening the oxygen sensor.

e: I discovered a nifty trick for separating the lower balljoints after spending 45 minutes with a hammer, air hammer and yelling. I don't know why nobody ever told me about this, but after looking around online I'm certainly not the first one to discover it. I even made a nifty video for other frustrated jerks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Jlv-ZlYuQ

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 28, 2013

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

EightBit posted:

Gear oil contains Molybdenum Disulfide, which makes most people retch, and the smell only gets worse over the years.

I've never hated the smell of gear oil. It's certainly strong as hell, but it doesn't bother me at all. It's the smell of progress/failure.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

I successfully lost my brake fluid cap today :saddowns:. I think I know where I left it, but I'm still annoyed that I lost the thing I promised myself I wouldn't lose.

You had a promise to yourself to never lose your brake fluid cap?

I mean, I wouldn't want to lose one, but it's not like I looked at it one day and said to myself "ALRIGHT, I swear I will never lose that."

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Finally got a chance to work on my garbage. Shut off on the road a week or two ago and I got it towed home. I dicked around checking spark/fuel for a while and then today finally got time to actually work on it.

Well!

Belt lost two teeth and slipped. With the cam stationary, the crank had slipped forwards from about 1:00 to 11:00. I cannot BELIEVE it didn't mash a valve. I murdered the coil in the process of diagnosing spark because I'm a stupid, so I swapped the coil from my 99 to get it running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Well,

Broken timing belt, replaced it and it still ran. Drove for 3-4 months and it started intermittently doing the "fut fut" at low rpm. Eventually it got bad all at once and I limped it home at 6000rpm, breaking many traffic laws trying to keep it from dying.

My theory is slightly bent valve(s) started getting held open over time, eventually making it die. The adventure getting it home the last time probably generated the shitloads of carbon flake and horrible looking exhaust valves.