Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Sheared my axle. That was pretty terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Pulled the doors off of my car. Planning on getting a driver's side mirror to keep it legal to drive.

(My car sucks so this makes it cool, right?)

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

My friends and I did a group mad max costume. I don't have pictures of the whole crew(they're all on other people's phones), but I figured some decoration was in order.

Side note, driving around with a bunch of warboys in the back of your truck is really loving fun.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Been working on this on and off for twoish months now but it's done! Superduty front leaf spring and shackle reversal from Sky Manufacturing. The alignment is off but holy cow what a ride improvement. Got a similar kit for the rear springs but uhh I think I'm just gonna pay to have that done.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
new boot goofin

old:

new:

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
I got new tires(nothing fancy, hard to find anything in the true performance vein for the stock wheels) and did an oil change today then cleaned up and went for a spin.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgLHUEiCgFE

Much, much better. I couldn't get this thing started at all lately. Most of it was probably the batteries going but new glow plug harness+new starter have really made me happy. New modern alternator is on the way as well.

edit: post of the vehicle in question since i don't post here terribly often

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 5, 2023

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Somewhere around last august I nearly overheated on I70 in Colorado in my '90 Thunderbird. For some reason the rad fan was not coming on, and I spent a long time trying to figure out if the fan motor itself was dead, or if like... the coolant temp sensor was out, or if it was something in the stupid 90s ford computer box. And then the CO winter set in and I don't have a garage, heated or otherwise, just a carport, so I was decidedly not in the mood for doing any wrenching. Finally warmed up enough to hold a wrench here and based on the tests I was able to do I determined that it was in fact just the fan motor that was kaput. I found a stock replacement that even came with the OEM plug so no wiring necessary, just bopping it into the fan+housing and lo and behold my car doesn't overheat anymore. Have some joyride pics from this morning.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Hell yeah! One of my friends had a 90 sc in highschool.

I always told him if he crashed it, I wanted the engine, trans and rear axle.

My goal would have been to swap it in to a 4cylinder fox body.

That would have been a screamer. I'm no expert but the low end torque with the manual trans gearing feels so loving good off the line. I'll probably never be able to afford to really put in the stuff to wring any real performance out of it but it's a ton of fun to drive just heaving the weight through canyon roads.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Yes indeedy, with the Mazda 5 speed(same thing they used in the Rangers/B series, although geared differently). I love and hate it... There hasn't been anything *really* wrong with it. It was pretty meticulously kept and had a full engine rebuild by the original owner at around 195k and it's around 215 now. Trying to do my part to take care of it while not just keeping it as a driveway queen. I paid for new synchros and bearings a few months after I got it, that was almost as much as I paid for the car. The shocks are starting to weep although the two-setting selector still works on all four corners, theres a leak in the brakes somewhere and I think also in the power steering pump... And parts are hard or expensive to find. Nonetheless it's easily the coolest car I've ever owned or likely will own.

Anyway. What the gently caress exactly happened there? Your battery *boiled over* and corroded a bunch of poo poo? Good lord.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Blessedly the radiator appears fine. There are definitely performance *options* that people run that I suppose one day I will have to start considering, but the Tokico 2 positions are no longer manufactured and it's just something that I think is pretty cool to still have even if they're slowly going. Sort of the biggest bottleneck of the whole car is the brakes - they're pretty undersized for how heavy the fuckers are. Most people do spindle/hub swaps to later mustang parts which not only lets you run larger discs and calipers but also obviously increases aftermarket availability, but who knows when I'd be able to find or afford the stuff for the whole swap - Also the ABS system in the 89-92 models is pretty archaic and expensive to rebuild from what I understand. Ah well, such are cars, I suppose. I have mostly come to terms with just driving it the way it is. The only modification on it is a considerably larger air intake which looks and sounds nice. Maybe in a year or two I'll see about new headers, since those actually are available still, and everyone says the stock ones are undersized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
It's not *me* doing it since there's a laundry list of long-postponed driveline stuff that I'm not equipped to handle myself but I dropped off my brick last Thursday. Pretty thorough front axle service with new parts, resealing the transfer case, and new rear driveshaft balance and u joints, plus my clutch is going, the clutch pedal box is getting worn out, clutch master cylinder... the list goes on. It's going to cost me but it's going to be so worth it, not just for peace of mind highway driving but for actually using 4wd through snowstorms and actually out having fun.

I never want to let this thing go. When I die lay me down in the bed and roll it off a cliff.